2004 TB EXT. Transmission noises when spinning tires only.

Dirt Dobber

Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I have had this TB EXT V-8 2WD, for two years. It is a 2 owner me being the second. The original owner hawed it behind a motor home. I got it from a very respectful dealership. I noticed this issue about a year ago while pulling a trailer. I being stupid cut across fresh grass through my next door neighbors yard after a 4 day rain storm. Needless to say i got stuck. After disconnecting the trailer. I tried pulling in out and noticed a clicking sound coming from my rear end, did not make any difference if I engaged the traction control or not. Once the tires stopped spinning the sound went away. Again, I heard this sound when doing a u-turn and started spinning the tires. Is this a normal issue?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Can you check to see if you have the "G80" option on your glove box RPO code list? If you do, that's the Eaton automatic locking rear differential option, and yours is broken. It can happen if one rear tire spins, and and you're using too much throttle, and then the locker engages with a LOT of rotating momentum built up, and it breaks things. It's nickname is the "Gov bomb". You should remove the rear cover from the diff right away and look for broken bits.

How many miles do you have and was the differential fluid changed at every 100K?

Here's a picture of the inside of mine when I broke it, and a shot of the "fine grind" bits that came out of it.

axle31.jpg

axle32.jpg

Dirt Dobber

Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
you have turned my great morning into that of madness and discuss. Yes I have the G80 code. If this is the issue, what am I looking at as far as repairs goes. Is this something that the average Joe can do.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I found it easier to swap in a low mileage junkyard axle for $400 than to pay $800 for a new G80 and then have to worry about ring gears and the rest. Setting up gears is not an average DIY project, although if all you have is some broken G80 bits you might not have destroyed your gears. All starts with pulling the cover and seeing what's in there. Be ready with a couple of liters of Synthentic 75-90 gear oil and read up on servicing differential on the many youtube videos out there. And always pull the FILL plug before taking off the cover, to make sue you can refill it if you start the project.

Dirt Dobber

Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I truly am thank full for your insight. Is this Eaton option necessary to have in order for the truck to run. Am I able to remove its parts only and reassembled until later to have fixed properly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online