NEED HELP 2004 Bose head unit missing 'Midrange', 'Driver' and 'Spacious' effects

oldsguy

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Minnesota
Hi everyone,

I just bought my >>third<< Olds Bravada, a 2004 "Final 500" edition with only 76,000 miles on it. It's perfect except...

One of the things I've liked best about my 2002 and 2003 Bravada's is the Bose stereo, including the feature that lets me adjust midrange (not just Bass/Treble) and ESPECIALLY the fantastic stereo imaging I get when I set the unit to "Driver" mode.

I was really disappointed to see that these features seem to have disappeared in the 2004 model year.

Does anyone know if I can swap the 2004 head-unit with a 2003 or 2002 unit to get these features back?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Oldsguy

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I think the amp changed for the 04 models (from a reasonably good one to a not as good) and IIRC that's why you have lost those settings.

Someone else may be able to chime in with a better/correct answer.

I do know that the 02/03 years had all the bells and whistles for "top of the line" models and they started deleting them in the 04+ years.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are differences like Lux, non-Lux, analog (02-03), digital (04+). I do know that 02 was some bastard year for swapping units. I don't have a clue how to identify them.

Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I do believe if you have the y91/y92 package installed it was a Lux setup offering the mid-range options and sound fields , if you have the non lux editions of amp, you didn't get the addition of those features. swapping out the amp also requires additional wiring but can be done , you also need a new head unit as that also has to match the amp.
I cant say for 100% but i have heard once the amp was swapped , it had to be programmed for the car your using it in for sound reproduction and quality for effects ETC.. also the head unit if non Lux could possibly be programmed for Lux.. again I haven't done it but I think I've read somewhere in a few post it could be retrofitted to accept either types of amp.
Good luck with this.

oldsguy

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Minnesota
There are differences like Lux, non-Lux, analog (02-03), digital (04+). I do know that 02 was some bastard year for swapping units. I don't have a clue how to identify them.

Thanks everyone. I finally got through all of the wonderfully detailed posts here and at trailvoy.com and learned that Oldsmobile stopped providing the LUX amplifiers sometime in the middle of the 2004 model year. My Final 500 is #211 and definitely does not have LUX.

From what I now understand, I need to

(a) replace the amp with a LUX version
(b) replace the head unit with a LUX compatible model (???)
(c) find and tie into the Data Link "star connector #2" pin E (DK BLUE) as found in my 2002 GM service manual and connect that up to the AMP.
(d) get the AMP reprogrammed so that the DSP profiles match the GMT360 speaker arrangements.

Does this sound right?

Thanks (again) everyone.

Reactions: Bill05EnvoySLT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randybill

Members Online