2004 5.3L TB Starter?

MoJoRisin'

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Seems like my starter's solinoid is starting to get weak. On occasion it doesn't engage well resulting in gear grinding. Isn't to the point where it wont start - yet.
Seen before someone mention that the starters on these are buried and tough to get at. Anybody have any info they would like to share on how hard this R&R is? Any major dissasembly required to get at it?

Mileage is approx 97k

Thanks in advance for your reply!

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
i havent had to get our off yet.if you find any infor let me know.this side of the forum gets a little slow at times since theres not many of us here with the v8 i think.

MoJoRisin'

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Well as we have worked our way into warmer weather my engagement issue has all but completely cleared up. Seems that the solenoid is working much more effectively with warmer temps. At this time I'm doing the wait and see aproach. I typically start it about 4 times a day or so, so I can monitor what is happening.

Is it possible that with cooler temps that the battery is kicking out lower voltage then when it is warmer or would it be a performance deal on the solonoid cold vs warm or a combination of both?

MoJoRisin'

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
ANYBODY?? We made an effort last night to see what it takes and it appears there are several supports and a cross member that need to come off to access the tiny starter. Has anybody been there done that that can report on what it takes? Thanks in advance.................Jim

MoJoRisin';138143 said:
Well as we have worked our way into warmer weather my engagement issue has all but completely cleared up. Seems that the solenoid is working much more effectively with warmer temps. At this time I'm doing the wait and see aproach. I typically start it about 4 times a day or so, so I can monitor what is happening.

Is it possible that with cooler temps that the battery is kicking out lower voltage then when it is warmer or would it be a performance deal on the solonoid cold vs warm or a combination of both?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
MoJoRisin';166638 said:
ANYBODY?? We made an effort last night to see what it takes and it appears there are several supports and a cross member that need to come off to access the tiny starter. Has anybody been there done that that can report on what it takes? Thanks in advance.................Jim
You're not getting replies because it's been discussed a few times, mostly on trailvoy where we all came from. If it can be found in a search, many folks just assume you should do that first. The archives are extensive because mostly we wrote them before new owners bought the site and made it unbearable to stay.

Replacing Starter - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum is a good thread. And Cant get starter out!! HELP - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum There are others.

MoJoRisin'

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks alot - it is as we figured - take a whole bunch of stuff off (including and aftermarket oil pan brush guard) and then have to wedge it through the tranny cooler lines. What a PIA!! This will be a weekender. The weird thing is the starter has not been to a non start yet, just doing weird stuff like pulling out early, sounding weird and so on....

I'll pull it and have it tested first before replacing and check the battery terminals first but they seemed clean when we disconnected before starting and stopping this last time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online