2003 Trailblazer Memory Seat Install

Old Coot

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
So, the Mrs. & I just bought our first Trailblazer LT and the manual says something about a seat position memory and the associated switch on the armrest (I think). This vehicle does not have this option installed, but, it would be very handy for our situation. Is it possible to add this option now? If so, what parts would be needed? Is there a procedure available somewhere? Is the needed wiring harness already in the vehicle?

Many Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry. Very extensive install that would require a donor junkyard vehicle to be remotely possible. The harness wiring is not present, many power wires are different, the "memory module" needs to be installed under the seat and wired into the seat motors, and most evilly, GM has to enable options like this in software in the BCM before it would start to work. You'd have to install the hardware, then pay a dealer to fiddle with the vehicle's configuration using their Tech II tool. Some options are easy to add if missing, like cruise control only requires a new multifunction stalk and the wiring and software is all there and not locked out. But that sort of easy upgrade is rare.

Old Coot

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you for your insight roadie, I really appreciate it. I am glad I asked.

A couple of years ago I added remote mirrors on my Dakota and they went in quite easily. Three nuts holding on each mirror, a couple of screws holding the door trim panel in place, and a large nut holding the control switch to the door panel. The wiring was already there, so it was sort of a plug and play operation. Heck, even an Old Coot like me could do it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If only you'd joined BEFORE you bought, like some other members do. We could have helped out on the prepurchase inspection items to concentrate on, immediate maintenance items if you don't get service records, etc. Surprisingly short 50K service interval on transfer case fluid. That sort of stuff. You'll catch up on your assigned reading, and then you won't have to ask. Searching is highly valued here, since almost everything's been discussed before, either here or on trailvoy, which was our last clubhouse until the new landlords destroyed the neighborhood by their highrise construction around us and we just escaped one day like the Old Coot in "UP".

View attachment 25773

Attachments

• 20090528_ballons_33.jpg
    20090528_ballons_33.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36

Old Coot

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
roadie,

Our TB purchase came quite suddenly. I ran into fellow at a gas station and asked to get in and out and sit in his TB. At 6'3" and 320 pounds I am not exactly the runt of the litter. A couple a days later I told the Mrs. about it and she said we should look at one, not thinking we would buy right away. Having been around cars my whole life, I tend to act on a purchase if a vehicle suits my needs and the general condition is way above the average. I have never given too much weight to the usual wear and tear items that you expect to periodically replace, such as tires, brake pads, batteries, lights, etc. I do pay close attention to items that you don't expect and have higher price tags, cpu's, throttle bodies, hubs, CV joints deep engine noises, etc. Metal fragments in the engine oil quickly get my attention! I really didn't want this one to slip away given the general lack of availability here in the winter time. So we drove it and made a deal right then and there. I still need my plates as I am waiting on the 2013 tabs to show up.

You guys have really created a wonderful forum here!:thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Old Coot said:
You guys have really created a wonderful forum here!:thumbsup:
It's the PEOPLE that make the community, and many of us were at the other place for as many as eight years before creating this place and all moving at once. What's left at trailvoy is the archives, but no community. We like to think we're one of a small number of enthusiast forums left to enthusiastically embrace and support the discerning DIY'er.

Children without proper punctuation and capitalization skills who run around unsupervised on other forums are "discouraged" or "enlightened" by gentle persuasion and good example here. :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online