2003 TB 220,000 miles: runs bad after simple fuel filter change. NEED ADVICE.

jhenry999

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Had it purring like a kitten after new air filter, MAF sensor and throttle body cleaning. Couldn't leave well enough alone and replaced fuel filter ,,,backwards first time..ran terrible...then after hooked up correctly plastic clip let go, hose popped off and fuel pumped on the driveway. Corrected all that BUT NOW...runs as if on 3 cylinders! PO300 code, check engine light flashing. Pulled PCM fuses for an hour to clear memory. Still horrible. Guessing I might have somehow ruined Fuel Pressure Regulator. Pulled first 4 plugs because it feels like a flooded carb. engine....all 4 dry and still nicely tanned. Any advice? Hurricane IRMA coming!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Did you get a new filter after hooking it up backwards? Like a replacement for the replacement? My best guess is it could be damaged inside from 55-60psi flying through it backwards and now isn't flowing properly.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
I agree. the filter media is only meant to go one way. it could have broke loose inside and is now wadded up against the output of the filter. That may explain the filter popping off when under so much pressure. Or debris was trapped in the filter when on backwards and now that its correct it found its way to the engine and stopped the fuel system. Start with a new filter. Rule that one out first.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Or debris was trapped in the filter when on backwards and now that its correct it found its way to the engine and stopped the fuel system. Start with a new filter. Rule that one out first.

If this happened, you could have plugged injectors. Hope the new filter fixes the problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online