NEED HELP 2003 Basic Audio System

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, I've now got a 2003 TB which is a factory non-Bose truck. I do not know if there is an amp in the rear cargo area over the wheel well like my 05 9-7x does.
3 of 4 Door Speakers in the TB are blown. The 9-7x sounded perfectly fine. Can I direct swap the speakers, or does the Bose amp have to go with it? Or should I just get some plug and play speakers for the thing? I am horrible with audio systems, so any help and guidance is appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Bose has an amp and each speaker is a component. Front doors are bass, dash are tweeters and rear doors are mids. Base truck does not have a separate amp. Speakers are wired directly to the radio. What I did was replace the HU and speakers and added a bass tube for some bump. Can't do much with the stock radio. It just plain sucks.

Reactions: xavierny25

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Can I direct swap the speakers, or does the Bose amp have to go with it?

As @Mooseman said - you'd need all the Bose gear - HU, amp & speaks. And even if you had all of those, I'll bet the harnesses wouldn't match up / exist in your TB. And you'd need the special mounts for the ft door woofers, too.

The fact that you have the base system is actually a blessing, of sorts, as it should be fairly easy to replace. Get an aftermarket HU...Bluetooth is almost ubiquitous now, and it's nice to be able to use your phone hands-free over the audio system. Likewise, it shouldn't be too hard to find aftermarket speakers that are at least as good as the stockers. If you replace the OEMs directly, don't be surprised if you blow them again with the new radio.

You could get a plug-n-play harness for easy radio hookup, and you can get the speaker wire adapters from BestBuy, which would allow you to connect the entire system without cutting one wire (on the vehicle, at least; you'll still need to wire the HU to the PnP harness). Or if you get the equipment from Crutchfield, they'll send instructions tailored to the TB - and they'll hold your hand over the phone (they're not the cheapest b/c of this, but for those who might be overwhelmed with putting in audio equipment, it's a pretty nice thing, IMO).

With the harnesses & adapters, it's not that difficult. Really, it's not. Take your time, read the instructions a couple of times before you start, and take them with you in the vehicle (easier to follow when you can stare / compare between the instructions & 'reality'...LOL) The hardest parts will probably be cutting out the rear bracket if you replace the HU w/ a 'double-DIN' unit, and getting the door panels off / back on (but again, Crutchfield will even send instructions on how to do this - you'll want to pick up a cheap 'trim tool' kit, which makes things much easier).

If it winds up being a hassle, I'm sure there would be someone here willing to help you out, for nothing more than the cost of some 'refreshments', perhaps?
:Lager Louts::tequila:

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I'll just get some junkyard OE ones at a few bucks a pop then. Seems like a hassle for not a shit ton of results since the Bose system supposedly sucks too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Once I got an aftermarket HU connected to the Bose (both the '02 TB and the '06 9-7x), it sounded pretty good.

You could stick some aftermarket speakers in there. Might make it sound marginally better.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I listen to Howard Stern and John Denver. Honestly an old Victrola would do. I'm not one for massive amounts of blaring music. I'm an old man.

Any recommendations for speakers?

Njg425

Sep 6, 2016
Souther California
I got a pair of good quality JBL's off amazon a couple years ago when my rear door speakers went out. Mooseman said that you could expect a marginally better sound quality out of decent aftermarket speakers and that isn't my experience. The new ones are significantly more clear at all frequencies and are remarkably better at higher volumes. The stock speakers are really poor quality paper-cone garbage. As an aside for future readers, it appeared the old speakers went bad because the drains at the bottom of the door were clogged with dirt and other junk that made it through the weather stripping and water would sit in the door which corroded all the speaker components. So check your door drains.

snoozer

May 15, 2017
Home
I got a pair of good quality JBL's off amazon a couple years ago when my rear door speakers went out. Mooseman said that you could expect a marginally better sound quality out of decent aftermarket speakers and that isn't my experience. The new ones are significantly more clear at all frequencies and are remarkably better at higher volumes. The stock speakers are really poor quality paper-cone garbage. As an aside for future readers, it appeared the old speakers went bad because the drains at the bottom of the door were clogged with dirt and other junk that made it through the weather stripping and water would sit in the door which corroded all the speaker components. So check your door drains.

I learned to check those drain holes was back in the 70's. I had a 74 Cutlass & one very, very cold morning I went out to open the drivers door & it must have weighed a ton, come to find out it was full of solid ice I bet half way up the door. Asked the wife i she noticed the water sloshing around in car, of course she had no idea.

Reactions: therealsethallen

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.

Like I said, I don't want to splice or cut any wire at all. I know absolutely nothing about audio systems, at all. Like less than nothing. I want it to be as simple as; Remove Door Panel, Remove Speaker, Reinstall New Speaker in TB's mounting panels, and reinstall panels.

Njg425

Sep 6, 2016
Souther California
Well, replacing those speakers is about as simple as it gets as far as audio systems go to be honest. At an absolute minimum you will have to cut the old plug off and crimp on new spade connectors, preferably solder them. If you're comfortable removing the door panel and tearing into your car I'm confident myself along with others here could walk you through it. However, if you're fine with stock speakers going back in you could get them from a pick a part and they should plug right in. I would bet all gm vehicles from that time use the same plug. You would just have to check if it's a 6.5 inch speaker. You could take the bad one out and check it's compatibility with the vehicles in the yard you tear in to.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The fronts are an odd split woofer and mid. Rears are straight up single mid. I'd stay with TB or similar trucks. Problem is that those in yards could already be dead.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Since the OP says 'no cutting', needs 'easy', and stock quality was good enough', I say go with another set of stockers, and get them from local JYs - you'll get practice pulling the door panels, which will make it easier to do the same on your own truck, when it's time. Also, any 360 / 370 with a base system should provide a source of parts (not sure on the Rainier; but Envoys / Bravadas (and dare I mention Ascenders) should be fair game.

Best of all...if one fails (or is DOA), there shouldn't be an issue with finding more - the biggest problem will be finding donors w/ the base system.

Again, adapters are available, which will eliminate cutting / wiring / polarity issues; they also allow you to experiment with differemt brands of aftermarket speaker, should you eventually want to hear John or Howard more clearly! :smile:

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Since the OP says 'no cutting', needs 'easy', and stock quality was good enough', I say go with another set of stockers, and get them from local JYs - you'll get practice pulling the door panels, which will make it easier to do the same on your own truck, when it's time. Also, any 360 / 370 with a base system should provide a source of parts (not sure on the Rainier; but Envoys / Bravadas (and dare I mention Ascenders) should be fair game.

Best of all...if one fails (or is DOA), there shouldn't be an issue with finding more - the biggest problem will be finding donors w/ the base system.

Again, adapters are available, which will eliminate cutting / wiring / polarity issues; they also allow you to experiment with differemt brands of aftermarket speaker, should you eventually want to hear John or Howard more clearly! :smile:

I'm going to take a look at Crutchfield's site and see what I can find for adapters.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm going to take a look at Crutchfield's site and see what I can find for adapters.

Unfortunately, they won't sell 'just' the speaker harness adapters (but they'll give you a set with every pair of speakers you buy).
Best Buy *does* sell them as a standalone item (and I'm sure there are other places you can find them at retail - or online).

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Unfortunately, they won't sell 'just' the speaker harness adapters (but they'll give you a set with every pair of speakers you buy).
Best Buy *does* sell them as a standalone item (and I'm sure there are other places you can find them at retail - or online).

I used Crutchfield's tool to find the adapter that fits my truck. My Volvo has a set of Rockfords in it now, and I do like them. But I'll be judging from reviews and not spending more than $120 on a set of speakers on my $900 Trailblazer.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I put two sets of Polk 'db' 6.5's in the wife's vehicle a couple of years ago (Crutchfield was always putting them on BOGO (really, buy 1pr, get 2nd 50% off). They sounded pretty good for the money (trying to remember how much I paid - I think it was under $150 for the two pairs.

Why do I mention this? Because if you want them, I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping. Again, both sets are 6.5" rounds, but I think that's the size of the base stockers. Just let me know via PM (and it'll take me a day or two to find them.)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The jbl gx602 speakers fit up front with no modifications other than the fact you have to drill new holes because the old ones don't line up iirc. Not a big deal. Best buy has them marked down to 70$ or so ever few months. About as plug and play as you'll get. Then just cut the wire from the old speaker and also cut it from the tweeter if you'd like that to not be in the system anymore and wire it to the new one...

Those polks will also fit. Same footprint.

Reactions: therealsethallen

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online