2002 v 2007 Envoy. Had them both and noticed some differences

tom1999d

Original poster
Member
Apr 24, 2012
32
The 2002 SLE

small door in the bottom cover for easy oil changes
Aluminum drive shaft for rear axle
spare: 17' rim with 245/65R17 tire
did not have the mystery hose on the air cleaner cover

The 2007 SLT

You have to remove the whole bottom cover every oil change
Steel drive shaft
Spare: 16" rim with 245/75R16 tire
What is the black hose that goes from the air cleaner resonator (top half of air filter housing) to the firewall?
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Can you take a picture of the mystery hose? I know what it might be on EXT, not not on a SWB.
 

ScarabEpic22

Member
Nov 20, 2011
728
Betting its the AIR Injection stuff that started in 04.

Was your 02 2WD and is your 07 4WD? All the 2WD SS/Aeros have an aluminum d/s and the AWD ones have a steel d/s.

The spare thing is interesting, GM stopped putting 16s on all GMT360s in 06 because they were only going on SWB I6s. Everything else had 17s or 20s from the factory. Im betting your 07 is an I6.


Now start looking at the suspension, the front swaybars have changed positions, the diff doesnt have a drain plug on your 07, etc. There are bunch of things GM changed from 02 and 03+. 02s were the special children, have a few things that no other years got (oil level sender for example, lovely special 6CD changer that cant accept external inputs).
 

RZAwora

Member
Apr 15, 2012
196
ScarabEpic22 said:
The spare thing is interesting, GM stopped putting 16s on all GMT360s in 06 because they were only going on SWB I6s. Everything else had 17s or 20s from the factory. Im betting your 07 is an I6.

Don't forget us Denali folks...I have an 06 and it came with 18s and and 18" steely spare. Actually these 18's are going up for sale whenever I get them cleaned and take photos...I've been lazy. :rotfl:
 

tom1999d

Original poster
Member
Apr 24, 2012
32
ScarabEpic22 said:
Betting its the AIR Injection stuff that started in 04.

Was your 02 2WD and is your 07 4WD? All the 2WD SS/Aeros have an aluminum d/s and the AWD ones have a steel d/s.

The spare thing is interesting, GM stopped putting 16s on all GMT360s in 06 because they were only going on SWB I6s. Everything else had 17s or 20s from the factory. Im betting your 07 is an I6.


Now start looking at the suspension, the front swaybars have changed positions, the diff doesnt have a drain plug on your 07, etc. There are bunch of things GM changed from 02 and 03+. 02s were the special children, have a few things that no other years got (oil level sender for example, lovely special 6CD changer that cant accept external inputs).

Thanks for the reply

my 02 was a 4wd SLE
all the alloy wheels are 17" The spare was 16" with highter aspect ratio tires
I miss the rear diff drain plug....
I had the optional cassette / cd player. Don't know why.... so single CD only
The 02 also had a small 'door' in the bottom engine cover for easy oil plug access. Now the 07 has you unbolt the whole bottom cover.....
I'll get an engine photo up in a day or so.
Tom
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
I always have taken off the entire cover on the bottom to change the oil as it makes it easier to reach the oil filter.
My 02 SWB 4x4 has an aluminum DS too. I think the early years all has that and then later they started using steel.
I hear you on the diff drain plug that they stopped putting on. I have a rear axle out of an 05 or 06 EXT in my 02 and I do miss that drain plug. Sure make it a little less sloppy to change the gear oil. Oh well.
 

tom1999d

Original poster
Member
Apr 24, 2012
32
Interesting.....

The front sway bar goes through the hole in the frame that made oil filter access really asy on the '02. That's why you remove the entire bottom plastic cover.

I finally changed the read diff. 1:45 total. When there was a plug this was a 45-50 min job. Pretty cool to see the rear end eleptical gear set. View attachment 23094
 

Attachments

  • 2012-09-30_10-34-13_3.jpg
    2012-09-30_10-34-13_3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 9

Regulator

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,496
Sparky said:
I always have taken off the entire cover on the bottom to change the oil as it makes it easier to reach the oil filter.
My 02 SWB 4x4 has an aluminum DS too. I think the early years all has that and then later they started using steel.
I hear you on the diff drain plug that they stopped putting on. I have a rear axle out of an 05 or 06 EXT in my 02 and I do miss that drain plug. Sure make it a little less sloppy to change the gear oil. Oh well.

The aluminum shaft was standard on the 02 and early 03 model years. I replaced mine with a steel shaft off an 03. It took three try's for the desk clerk at the salvage yard to get the correct one. I asked for an '03 steel drive shaft, he brought me an aluminum one up. I tell him no, I want the steel one, he brought me another aluminum shaft up. :confused:
 

tom1999d

Original poster
Member
Apr 24, 2012
32
Sorry abot the glare. Is this the air injection hose? I can hear a blower motor. Where the hell is that?

ScarabEpic22 said:
Betting its the AIR Injection stuff that started in 04.

Was your 02 2WD and is your 07 4WD? All the 2WD SS/Aeros have an aluminum d/s and the AWD ones have a steel d/s.

The spare thing is interesting, GM stopped putting 16s on all GMT360s in 06 because they were only going on SWB I6s. Everything else had 17s or 20s from the factory. Im betting your 07 is an I6.


Now start looking at the suspension, the front swaybars have changed positions, the diff doesnt have a drain plug on your 07, etc. There are bunch of things GM changed from 02 and 03+. 02s were the special children, have a few things that no other years got (oil level sender for example, lovely special 6CD changer that cant accept external inputs).
 

Attachments

  • 2012-11-09_08-25-27_265.jpg
    2012-11-09_08-25-27_265.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11

tom1999d

Original poster
Member
Apr 24, 2012
32
the roadie said:
Can you take a picture of the mystery hose? I know what it might be on EXT, not not on a SWB.

This is the hose.


Also add to the list is the glove box light..... had one on my '02
 

Attachments

  • 2012-11-09_08-25-27_265.jpg
    2012-11-09_08-25-27_265.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 6

tom1999d

Original poster
Member
Apr 24, 2012
32
The 02 didn't have the DIC display. Now the shift or gear indicator has a orange led which cannot be dimmed agt night. The 02 had a green led indicator the could be dimmed....
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,321
Posts
637,914
Members
18,526
Latest member
GODSBROOKS