2002 Envoy, 4x4. Starter motor replacement tips?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Starter motor is getting finicky. Sometimes will quit working all together. A few soft taps with a leather mallet will get it working again for awhile.

I've seen You Tube videos where they remove the entire intake manifold to get to it. I've seen where they remove the front driver's side wheel.

I'm trying to avoid removing the intake manifold unless absolutely necessary. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you dont want to remove the intake, then the wheel well option is the only thing left.

Yes those are the only 2 options for this platform.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did replace it through the wheel well and from top at the same time without removing the intake. This was in a parking lot too. It can be done.

Reactions: cornchip

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for the input Toll Keeper, Mooseman, and Cornchip. I think I can get to it like that also. Any recommendations on a brand of replacement starter? AC/Delco, etc? New...rebuilt?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine was an urgent replacement so I got some new Chinese one locally. It was fine until the truck was scrapped. IIRC, I pulled it back out before I scrapped it to keep as a spare. ACDelco and GM are way overpriced. I've also had good experiences with TYC.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am probably one of the few the will say to use Autozone or Advance.

My reasoning is that if it goes bad, you can get a replacement locally

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online