2" difference on front suspension...

jsprewell

Original poster
Member
Dec 6, 2011
81
I've had this issue for a while now and I'm really getting tired of it, especially now with the front end being out of alignment. There is a good 2-3 inches difference between the left side and the right side of the front vehicle height. (the passenger side is the lower side) I know that I'm going to have (and will) replace the front shocks with the Bilstien HD's. Does this sag of one side mean that I will need to replace the springs as well, or are they still good? Currently sitting at 160,000 miles with original OEM front suspension. I'm planning on taking the Envoy to a local shop that was recommended to me and see what they say about it. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts here first!
 

jham

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,334
jsprewell said:
I've had this issue for a while now and I'm really getting tired of it, especially now with the front end being out of alignment. There is a good 2-3 inches difference between the left side and the right side of the front vehicle height. (the passenger side is the lower side) I know that I'm going to have (and will) replace the front shocks with the Bilstien HD's. Does this sag of one side mean that I will need to replace the springs as well, or are they still good? Currently sitting at 160,000 miles with original OEM front suspension. I'm planning on taking the Envoy to a local shop that was recommended to me and see what they say about it. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts here first!

are you sure you don't have a broken spring ?
 

jsprewell

Original poster
Member
Dec 6, 2011
81
jham said:
are you sure you don't have a broken spring ?

I've looked over the spring and cannot see that it is broken. I'm was assuming that it's a bad shock.... (or rather hoping)
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Normally shocks won't affect resting height of the vehicle, unless it is seized up. But then, it would ride horribly and be quite obvious if that were the case.
 

jham

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,334
jsprewell said:
I've looked over the spring and cannot see that it is broken. I'm was assuming that it's a bad shock.... (or rather hoping)

all the shock does it keep the truck from bouncing the spring is what controls the height. If it was mine I would replace them both since with one new and one old you might still have a lean
 

jsprewell

Original poster
Member
Dec 6, 2011
81
jham said:
all the shock does it keep the truck from bouncing the spring is what controls the height. If it was mine I would replace them both since with one new and one old you might still have a lean

your talking about replacing the shock and the spring on both sides right? because at the very least, I was going to replace the shocks on both sides.
 

jham

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,334
jsprewell said:
your talking about replacing the shock and the spring on both sides right? because at the very least, I was going to replace the shocks on both sides.

yes springs and shocks at the same time. You said for some time now is that like a couple weeks or months?
 

jsprewell

Original poster
Member
Dec 6, 2011
81
jham said:
yes springs and shocks at the same time. You said for some time now is that like a couple weeks or months?

actually, years... sometimes it will be about the right height (1"), but that's too far apart. most of the time it sits 2" - 3". it's just that the ride has gotten worse this past few months with an alignment issue. (seems to go sided to side too easily without me wanting it to)
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
jsprewell said:
actually, years... sometimes it will be about the right height (1"), but that's too far apart. most of the time it sits 2" - 3". it's just that the ride has gotten worse this past few months with an alignment issue. (seems to go sided to side too easily without me wanting it to)
Something's seriously wrong and that's beyond the threshold of being a safety issue. Sagging spring or broken upper mount. Or other parts bent all to heck.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
An SS we played with lifting had the alignment jacked to one side and that caused a 1 inch difference in side to side height, but more than that would have to be broken mount likely unless you really hit something and tweaked it when you messed up your alignment.
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
I had to jump in here because I had the SAME exact issue with my 02 Buick Rendezvous except it was in the rear and it had air ride suspension...well it did at one point in it's life lol I never had it dealt with.

Anyways, When I looked at it on the lot everything was fine and dandy, brought it home and my husband seen that the passenger side rear spring was literally broken in 2 pieces...ended up being broken in 3 areas actually. I had the dealer I bought it from change the springs for me, but he refused to change the one that was not broken. I figured wth, at least the broken spring will be fixed.

I brought it home after having the spring replaced, and walked behind the Buick and my entire rear end was off. I had a very noticeable sag in the rear and it leaned towards the drivers side, like I said rear end only. I'm no mechanic lol but I was told by one that it was due to the old but not broken spring losing it's ability to hold the truck up? The new spring had a good firmness to it, and the older spring was losing firmness due to age, rust and so forth. I bought the Buick at 99k miles and only did oil changes. Hated it the day I drove it off the lot, but desperately needed something with a 3rd row seat.

Maybe if you change all your springs when you get your shocks/struts? done it would help? Other than that I have no idea why it would ride so unevenly. I drove an Envoy that had a slight uneven ride, but it was also a salvage with major frame issues. Anyways, good luck!!
 

jsprewell

Original poster
Member
Dec 6, 2011
81
Right now it's just sitting 1in difference.

Could temperature also. Affect it? (right now it's cool because it just rained)
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Nope.
 

jsprewell

Original poster
Member
Dec 6, 2011
81
Okay, that's what I was thinking...

Anyway, I'm going to go by a place today after work and have it looked at.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,444
Posts
639,435
Members
18,668
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online