18.7 Gallon Fuel tank strap

PLAT515

Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Minnesota
Ive got 2 Trailblazers both with the 18.7 gallon fuel tank. Just noticed on my 2002 the rear tank strap has rotted and tank is hanging. They apparently do not sell a strap kit for the older trailblazers anymore. Only for the 22 gallon and 25 gallon tanks. My 03, a couple years ago i had to replace rusted fuel sending unit. I was just about to cut the tank straps because of the bolts spinning but i came to find this issue back then aswell. Couldnt get my hands on a new set of straps for it so i was able to save the straps and just ground the bolt head off and fabricated my own tank strap mounts.

Anyone have this problem themselves and found a solution? Seems kinda dumb they dont sell 18.7 tank straps anymore or non that i can find.

Obviously the quick fix is just using a ratchet strap which im not opposed to doing. The vehicle does have nearly 300k on it and i live in MN. Its very rusty and the rest of the truck will surely fall apart before the drive train gives out on me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They do seem to be available.

2002:

2003-2009:

The 03 did go to a 22 gal tank.

The Spectra Premium are bare metal and should be painted or get the coated Dorman for a couple bucks more.

Reactions: mrrsm

PLAT515

Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Minnesota
They do seem to be available.

2002:

2003-2009:

The 03 did go to a 22 gal tank.

The Spectra Premium are bare metal and should be painted or get the coated Dorman for a couple bucks more.
Hmm sorry for wasting your time. Don't know how i overlooked that.

Yeah originally when i bought my 03 i was excited for the bigger fuel tank. Only to find its actually a 18.7 just like my 02. Checked build date and it was march 03, so i assume that explains why i didnt end up with the bigger tank - the change didn't come until late 03. Anyhow thank you.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not a waste of time. I actually didn't know about the tank change since I first had an EXT and didn't really look at the SWB stuff at the time. At least the info is now available for anyone else asking about this.

Anyone that has an 02 or an early 03 may want to consider switching to an 03/04+ tank for the extra capacity.

TJBaker57

Lifetime VIP Donor
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Unrelated to the issue at hand:

I wonder what the "18.7" gallon actually refers to. The gross volume of the tank maybe??

The PCM has a fuel tank capacity in its' calibration. My 2002 with build date of 10/01 reports tank capacity of 70.02 liters which equates to 18.497 gallons.

These are the sort of things that don't matter, but rattle around my grey matter.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Quote; Mooseman."Anyone that has an 02 or an early 03 may want to consider switching to an 03/04+ tank for the extra capacity."
Mooseman, I don't think the larger tank fits the small tank models. I seem to remember trying to fit one and the frame cross member above the tank was changed on the later builds to make room for the larger tank. ~BOB

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rrachal

Members Online