17 Chevy WT rusted rims and cargo area questions

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
Is there something I can do about the rims or I just need to get new ones.
Also the cargo box is bad
Do I need to get one in a junkyard or it can be saved.

The cargo area was with layers of a mixture of rotten leaves and mud , I had a hard time removing it.
But I can see what that did.

See the pics of the rim and cargo area.PXL_20240809_220929280.jpg
PXL_20240809_185943163.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Rims should clean up with some elbow grease and paint. The box should be too unless it's perforated. That would require some welding equipment.

Reactions: christo829

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Should be able to fix that up. Probably sandblasting would be easier and faster. Rust treat, primer and paint.

tokanero

Mar 15, 2021
Maryland
Boy...that rim looks pretty good. My spare rim was all scaley and had zero paint on it.
Soooo...what I did was go to the U-pick junkyard and got an alloy rim with a tire. There seems to be quite a few of these vehicles still available.

Reactions: rolo95

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
Boy...that rim looks pretty good. My spare rim was all scaley and had zero paint on it.
Soooo...what I did was go to the U-pick junkyard and got an alloy rim with a tire. There seems to be quite a few of these vehicles still available.
how much i will expect to pat to get an alloy rim on a junkyard

tokanero

Mar 15, 2021
Maryland
It's been a while so I couldn't find the actual receipt. However the chain (LKQ Auto) has a price list where the Al Rim is around $60. This includes a core charge ($15) if you had one to return and a guarantee ($10) which is optional. And the tire (17") lists for around $40.
Don't know where you live but if these types of yards are in your area I would guess the prices are similar.
Soooo...for under $100 it was worth it to me to do this rather than cleaning up the steel rim and painting it. Since the spare hangs under the vehicle I figured it would just rust up again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Alloy rims are also subject to corrosion. I just had to have all four of mine done because of corrosion as I was leaking air. Also my TPMS sensor seals were leaking but the seals alone have been discontinued :mad: so I had them replaced with plain valves. Let that TPMS light shine!

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
my TPMS are gone, also need to fix some more issues, although no check engine light, i have 3 messages on the LCD dashboard panel, service stabilitrack, steering assist reduced and another one i cant remember , i need to snap some pics

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vickes

Members Online