'07+ Cams

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This question was never answered from TV. Apparently the '07 and up cams have more lift than the ones prior. Can they be installed into an older model, per se my 2004 GMC? If they can, is any additional tuning required? Already have a PCM4less tune.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
This question was never answered from TV. Apparently the '07 and up cams have more lift than the ones prior. Can they be installed into an older model, per se my 2004 GMC? If they can, is any additional tuning required? Already have a PCM4less tune.

Do you have any specs on the cams lift depending on the difference you may need to change some things around. Im pretty sure they wont be as dramatic as a Comp cam but for example if I was to change my Cam in the SS I need Valve Springs,Push Rods,Retainers/Seats and A New Stall Converter but your not swapping to a .650 Lift. So basically we need specs to diagnose further.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah couldn't tell you off hand, was just kinda curious. I'm talking about the 4.2L engine by the way. The aftermarket is pretty limited for it.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I believe the consensus is that the I6 head needs serious exhaust port work before you'd see any benefit from new cams. The 06+ heads flow better than the 05 and down heads but still have a lot of room for improvement.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online