05 Silverado 1500 4x4 Brake Bleeding

Replaced both front brake lines, calipers rotors etc. This truck has front disk, rear drum, ABS.
I cannot get the brakes to pump up. Have bled them with the 2 person method and now using a self bleeder. Have effectively flushed the fluid from the entire system. At least a quart, all comes out clean. Still cannot get it to a firm pedal.
Feels so-so firm after right rear, left rear, right front, left front sequence 4 times. As soon as i turn it on, the pedal drops to the floor. What am i missing?

Possibly air trapped in the ABS valves. Some have had success driving it on a dirt road and slamming the brakes to activate the ABS but proper way is to get a high end scanner or Tech 2 to cycle the ABS.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
I had similar problem when I did the Sierra's brakes recently (had to replace rear calipers, so the system got opened up)
In my case, about 3-5 applications at low speed around the block firmed up the pedal (I then was able to take it to where I always burnish my pads & do that w/o issue.) Pump the pedal before starting out - you should have some vacuum / assist return to the pedal. And I did self-bleeding, FWIW.

It would still be a good idea to bleed the ABS module as @Mooseman suggested (you hold your foot on the pedal while the Tech 2 runs the procedure, and can feel the ABS modulating the pedal... 'so that's what ABS actuation feels like' )

OP
OP
woodja
Thank you both for the feedback, I'm going to go on the hunt for a scan tool that will electronic bleed the breaks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wecarlson78

Members online

Latest posts

Top Bottom