05 Envoy XL SLT drivers door completly dead

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I have my 05 Envoy XL SLT and recently my drivers side door practically died. When you hit lock on the keyless fobs, it doesnt lock the door. When you open the door the lights do not come on. Windows, heated seats seat memory and power mirrors are all inop. checked fuses, fuse was blown, replaced with a new one and that blew out as well. People on trailvoy.com said its either a crimped wire inside the door hinge area or dead master window switch pack. With the symptoms i described above Roadie, whats the odds of it simply being a dead master window switch? Defintely not hoping its a expensive electrical wiring short. Any info would help tremendously!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A bad module OR bad wiring could both blow fuses. Swap the PDM (passenger's door module) into the driver's position as an experiment.

I'm flattered you thought I'd respond, but it's only because I'm home sick today and bored. I'm not the only volunteer here who knows the systems. :wink:

What's it like on trailvoy nowadays? A ghost town?

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Im honored you were able to answer Roadie :0) Trailvoy is like asking a question in a forest, the only response is the sound of your own voice LOL. As for the door, need to get a new fuse first, replace the shorted one, then swap modules. Ill let it run for a lil while. before this occured, the entire driver window pack began to flash on and off for 30 secs then completly took a crap on me. IF it does the same with the pass side module....the door wiring has to be the culprit.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Update....swapped out and installed pass side window switch into F drivers side door harness. Replaced the blown fuse and kept the truck running for over a hour. Tested all of the functions....window, heated seat and lock....everything worked no short or blown fuse. Comes to tell me the wiring in the door and the door hinge area are ok. NOW onto the driver door module. Installed it back into the driver side door, expecting it to short and pop the fuse....nothing happens (knocks on wood) The DDM is still functioning. windows, locks, memory and window locks functions. Could the fix be as simple as removing the plugs and resnapping them into place???? Im testing for another 3 days UNTIL i try the heated seats. If i activate heated driver seat, AND it pops the fuse, then we narror it down even further. Ill keep you posted.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
When the drivers door module failed, it blew the fuse, located under the driver side rear passenger seat area. I replaced that, and when i started driving again the window pack failed again and blew the fuse. All i did the other night was unplug the module and swap like u suggested. I replaced the fuse under the driver side rear pass side seat and plugged the pass side window pack in. everything worked fine. I then plugged the driver door module back in and everything has worked normally since. This was thursday night that i did all this.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hope I have this right....rear seat fuse box...10 amp fuse for the driver door module...says its fuse number 10 this is from the envoy owners manual.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's the right one for the module, yes. There's also a circuit breaker that most people (you'd be surprised) don't mistake for a fuse, and there's some odd cross connections that could have blown a fuse other then the DDM in case of a BCM fault. Just making sure the vehicle is behaving rationally. Thanks.

You should still do a very careful inspection of the wiring harness (especially the orange power wires) near the hinge line and inside the rubber boot. An intermittent short that goes away will come back at the worst possible time, like after rolling the window down for a tollbooth during a snowstorm about to turn to rain. You'd hate that timing.

05EnvoyXL

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks Roadie. The module still works and everything looks good still. I pray i caught a break. when i get a chance ill check the wiring insdie the door.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online