04 Trailblazer instrument cluster replacement

buckeyefan

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I have an 04 Chevy Trailblazer and I am having issues with the instrument cluster. All the gauges stopped working (except speedometer and tach). The only digital readout I get is the odometer and the trip. After sitting for couple days the battery goes completely dead. If I remove the instrument cluster over night or the instrument cluster fuse then the battery does not go dead. So we have narrowed the battery issue down to the cluster as well. So far I have replaced the alternator (before realizing it wasn't the problem)stepper motors and the ignition switch (as referred from another forum before I found this one). Today everything started working ok then went back out after a few minutes.I was wondering if anyone had any opinion as if it would be inside the cluster and if anyone knows where online I can buy a brand new one? I called dealerships and they want $475-$550 to replace, but will reprogram a new one for $140.
Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Menthol said:
But that's merely a stepper motor kit with soldering tools. Since the OP already changed the steppers, that can't be it.

I'd use a reputable cluster repair service, also available on Ebay or anywhere all over the net, for the $120-140 range. I see one there now for $137 that will even replace your lamps with LEDs. Specifically says he fixes intermittent battery discharge issues.

05EnvoyXL

Dec 27, 2012
In a week im shipping my cluster to be professionally rebuilt. A friend told me about a place in Taunton, Mass called BBA Reman Inc. They work on TB and Envoy instrument clusters. They inspect the entire cluster and repair the items or issues you have. They told me $99.00 to rebuild the cluster, then they test it fully and back it with a lifetime garuntee. ONLY downside is shipping them the cluster. My truck will be down for at least a week but its def worth having a functioning cluster and stressing over fixing it myself LOL.

Website is below if you wanna check it out:
BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, and catalytic converters

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The vehicle is perfectly driveable without a cluster. Use a GPS or smartphone for speed if it makes you nervous to fly blind.

If you have an Android smartphone you should already be using Torque, and that allows you to have a replacement dash gauge array.

buckeyefan

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
the roadie said:
The vehicle is perfectly driveable without a cluster. Use a GPS or smartphone for speed if it makes you nervous to fly blind.

If you have an Android smartphone you should already be using Torque, and that allows you to have a replacement dash gauge array.

Thanx everyone for your help. @ 05EnvoyXL when I sent my cluster off to have the stepper motors replaced I drove my truck w/o any problems. I did download the app on my phone as suggested by the rodie since I found myself going faster then everyone else lol. @ the rodie is there a difference between having the motors replaced and electronically calibrated and having a rebuild? I sent it to a guy in Arizona that replaced all the motors and installed LED backlights then calibrated them electronically. All your information is so greatly appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
buckeyefan said:
...@ the rodie is there a difference between having the motors replaced and electronically calibrated and having a rebuild? ...
It's "Roadie", BTW. Since the word "rebuild" isn't defined, it's impossible to tell what the difference is. I don't care about LED upgrades, so when I am working on a bad cluster for me or a friend, I just put in new steppers.

buckeyefan

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
My apologies Roadie I didn't realize I misspelled it. Anyway I have another question if anyone can help answer it I would greatly appreciate it. When my truck sits for a day the battery is completely drained. I pulled the #24 fuse overnight the the next day put it in and the truck started right up. Now I have to pull the $24 fuse every night in order to keep the battery from going dead. I was wondering if the cluster could be pulling power draining the battery since I am having the cluster issues?

monroefiredog

Aug 4, 2013
buckeyefan said:
My apologies Roadie I didn't realize I misspelled it. Anyway I have another question if anyone can help answer it I would greatly appreciate it. When my truck sits for a day the battery is completely drained. I pulled the #24 fuse overnight the the next day put it in and the truck started right up. Now I have to pull the $24 fuse every night in order to keep the battery from going dead. I was wondering if the cluster could be pulling power draining the battery since I am having the cluster issues?

Hi, I saw your post on here, I am also having the same problem with my battery draining overnight. I am not sure about the #24 fuse, I just unhook the battery cable. Although my Instrument cluster is bad also, all warning lights on, and all gauges pegged out. What did you find out? Was the instrument cluster draining your battery? I need some help on this issue. Mine is a EXT edition and it has the driver information in the cluster.

Thanks,

D.L.

iowarider

Jan 17, 2014
I'd use a reputable cluster repair service, also available on Ebay or anywhere all over the net, for the $120-140 range. I see one there now for $137 that will even replace your lamps with LEDs. Specifically says he fixes intermittent battery discharge issues.

Speaking of reputable cluster repair service, is there a list of them some where? Can anyone recommend the one they used?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Added bonus: For people who don't like estimates, the Torque app gives discrete values which is at least a shade better. Rather than the tach reading ~2300 RPM, now you know it was precisely 2279, can double-check possibly flaky stepper motors with cross-referencing also.

I have a former coworker who sent in their Buick Regal(?) cluster a while back to get fixed, I think the information center had gone out on it or something, as far as I know got it back fairly quickly and at a good price. Hadn't heard of it crapping back out. I'll see if I can find out where that cluster went, I know it was actually rather cheap.

iowarider

Jan 17, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Added bonus: For people who don't like estimates, the Torque app gives discrete values which is at least a shade better. Rather than the tach reading ~2300 RPM, now you know it was precisely 2279, can double-check possibly flaky stepper motors with cross-referencing also.

I have a former coworker who sent in their Buick Regal(?) cluster a while back to get fixed, I think the information center had gone out on it or something, as far as I know got it back fairly quickly and at a good price. Hadn't heard of it crapping back out. I'll see if I can find out where that cluster went, I know it was actually rather cheap.

Thanks I very much appreciate it. I'v been driving around using my phones gps and an app called speed for MPH, and watching how many gallons used for the fuel gauge. Thought I was going to be walking more than once.

89starquest

Aug 17, 2012
i replaced mine with one from the dealer, they sold me a remanufactured one, i paid $250 i think, mine had the DIC burn..... anyways this dealer is located in Bellflower, CA GEORGE CHEVROLET its the name google it, and get the phone # for the parts dept, hope this info helps :smile:

iowarider

Jan 17, 2014
89starquest said:
i replaced mine with one from the dealer, they sold me a remanufactured one, i paid $250 i think, mine had the DIC burn..... anyways this dealer is located in Bellflower, CA GEORGE CHEVROLET its the name google it, and get the phone # for the parts dept, hope this info helps :smile:

Thanks, that's not a bad price. It does help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online