04 Rainier noise from intake manifold

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
So when engine idle I hear this odd noise just curious if normal. Louder when its cold.
Heres video
[video=youtube_share;qvOTQAS4fRU]http://youtu.be/qvOTQAS4fRU[/video]

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Most likely some loose intake manifold bolts.

Have been a few reports of them loosening.
Small bolts and Manifold is plastic, I don't know the torque spec.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
BRomanJr said:
Most likely some loose intake manifold bolts.

Have been a few reports of them loosening.
Small bolts and Manifold is plastic, I don't know the torque spec.

How can a metallic grinding sound be loose intake bolts? Your not hearing that noise at the end?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
How can a metallic grinding sound be loose intake bolts? Your not hearing that noise at the end?

Well captain thanks for pointing out the sound I was not aware of hahah.

But sounds I'm asking about are two different ones.

First is at beginning before reving you hear the constant ticking noise

Second is right at the beginning of the rev you hear this noise sounds like an air powered potatoe launcher or something haha. Anyone else hearing what I'm hearing and is it normal. How's the engine sound for having 175k on her

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
Remove the belt. See if it goes away.

Alrighty I'll try it. Tickings coming from the black oval plastic housing to right of vortex box and the potatoe gun noise is to left more facing engine although couldn't pinpoint had no helper to rev..

will test this belt idea need to replace it anyway. Also. Is it harmfull to allow endgine to run without this belt for any giving time.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Also. Is it harmfull to allow endgine to run without this belt for any giving time.

Yes it is harmful if you let it overheat. Just run it when the engine is cold. Same time as you videoed before should be fine. Enough time to gather evidence. Concentrate video on exhaust area and intake by pcm.

Get a vacuum gauge and check intake manifold pressure as well.

Also at the end of your test and engine off spin the idler and tensioner pullies to see if they are gravely.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
Yes it is harmful if you let it overheat. Just run it when the engine is cold. Same time as you videoed before should be fine. Enough time to gather evidence. Concentrate video on exhaust area and intake by pcm.

Also at the end of your test and engine off spin the idler and tensioner pullies to see if they are gravely.

Thanks for info and response. You guys are all great. Will get back with test results as soon as I have time to get them done

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:

So here's video with belt removed
[video=youtube_share;H89kpEBoudg]http://youtu.be/H89kpEBoudg[/video]

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
When I spun pulleys they seemed fine power steering seemed a little noisy and turned a lot more freely then any of the other pulleys. Could be culprit of noise.

Ticking noise was still present near the oval black box to right of vortex labeled box. Amy ideas

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like a pretty big leak at the intake manifold. But you need to prove that by hooking up a vacuum gauge.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Does the torque app list a accurate intake manifold pressure I have that as of today. At idle was around 14 and went to 20 something reving it.

Not sure if this is what your looking for just getting familiar with torque app and its readings maybe some one can point me in right direction

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Also noticed my coolant temps were low 178-185 so I'll be replacing thermostat soon not sure if that has any effect beside engine running rich. No idea how long that's been an issue

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Also noticed my coolant temps were low 178-185 so I'll be replacing thermostat soon not sure if that has any effect beside engine running rich. No idea how long that's been an issue

I would find the vacuum leak by using carb cleaner or propane torch. The reading should be 18 at idle.

Definitely change the coolant and thermostat. Your looking at major damage if either of these isnt dealt with soon.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
I would find the vacuum leak by using carb cleaner or propane torch. The reading should be 18 at idle.

Definitely change the coolant and thermostat. Your looking at major damage if either of these isnt dealt with soon.

Thanks captain... engine will rev higher when Carb cleaner gets into leak correct??

What major damage would I be looking for as result of bad Therm. So I know if its already done. Been having vibration issues for some time figured was motor mounts but now I'm thinking not

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Thanks captain... engine will rev higher when Carb cleaner gets into leak correct??

It would more than likely stall the engine depending on how large of a leak there is. Fuel is being controlled by the computer so adding more would kill it. You have to keep an eye on the rpms and see if it changes.

jeffro312 said:
What major damage would I be looking for as result of bad Therm. So I know if its already done.

Hopefully you arent looking for any damage. A bad thermostat would clog the converter which in turn can overheat the engine and cause permanent compression loss. The valves wouldnt fair very well either.

jeffro312 said:
Been having vibration issues for some time figured was motor mounts but now I'm thinking not

Do all the required maintenace outlined in the owners manual and go from there. Replacing motor mounts (if they are bad) will not fix engine problems.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Do all the required maintenace outlined in the owners manual and go from there. Replacing motor mounts (if they are bad) will not fix engine problems.

No but post after post says replacing motor mounts fix the 10htz vibration. I didn't associate it with an engine problem

Going to change out thermostat this weekend and im going to check vacuum leaks tommarrow am
e3y9u5a2.jpg

That is a chart of intake manifold pressure driving around block and sitting at idle at end truck was a running temp which since bad stat is 185 f

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I dont see any problem. This is showing manifold pressure not vacuum. Pressure at WOT is nearer to 29 at WOT and nearer to 0 at idle.

Can you do some short blips at WOT to verify? It should go towards 29.

To double check can we get a picture of engine vacuum using a hand gauge?

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
CaptainXL said:
I dont see any problem. This is showing manifold pressure not vacuum. Pressure at WOT is nearer to 29 at WOT and nearer to 0 at idle.

Can you do some short blips at WOT to verify? It should go towards 29.

To double check can we get a picture of engine vacuum using a hand gauge?

I don't have a vacuum gauge will try to get my hands on o e this weekend.

Going to change thermostat tommarrow am.

Wot I'm assuming is wide open throttle? That's another thing on torque shows the throttle and not matter if I'm in park or getting on highway or going from 60 it won't go more then 55% full throttle. Is that normal??? Rpms will get up to around 5-6 when gunning it

So I will see what happens after I change thermostat tomarrow. Looks like a bitch to get to though hope patience is with me to marrow and all goes smoothly and doesn't ruin my Turkey day

Can you confirm
Remove alternater bracket and alternator then I will be able to get to the thermostat

Also any idea how much coolant will escape during this process and what capacity is think I read 13. Something quarts

Thanks for you input and help

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Well the PITFA Thermostat was successfully changed. Took me 5 attempts to get it to not leak and still i have no idea what i did different each time.... think stupid gasket was getting in the way so i reused the old gasket looked in better shape then the new one. and some RTV to hold it in place. and now no leaks. Also snapped a bolt to the thermostat luckily the bolt that holds the ac line to the engine hoist thing is same thread and size easier to replace that bolt then thermostat.. Finally Noo Leaks and coolant temp is now avgs 206.6

one headache out of the way alteast i know if alternater ever goes im a pro at getting that in and out thanks to this forum i was informed about the 15mm ratcheting wrench that tool is a life saver :smile:

engine still running a little rough randomly. Sometimes itll be nice and smooth. Sometimes loud and rough no idea what cause is to that. doesnt matter if its hot or cold.

also is it normal for the engine to be real rough upon shut down??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online