03 ext aftermarket radio installation

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright guys I just picked up a Kenwood DVD receiver last night for pretty cheap I think. Now I know the harnesses have been covered over n over. But got a few questions so I can understand all this, as this is the first modern vehicle I've put an aftermarket radio in.

Factory is a 6 disk in dash, steering wheel control, non Bose, on star ( but being it's analog and they stopped the analog to digital conversions for on star, it's worthless and I can't use it), rear seat audio controls, and an over head DVD which the DVD is separate from the audio system as there is only a power n ground connection to it.

1. I want to keep chimes, r.a.p., and steering wheel controls. Also to have the display dim when dash lights come on.

2. Do I have to get a harness for on star since my on star is obsolete?

3. What is the difference between the rear seat entertainment and our rear seat audio controls? Entertainment to me would be DVD, but our DVD system well at least in mine is completely separate from the audio system. So do I need a harness that is for rear seat entertainment?

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Lil bumpity bump.. Wanna get a harness ordered soon.. But just need to know about the rear seat entertainment to decide if I need it or not..

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I just did my radio in the Voy but I have digital OnStar. The Metra GMOS-01 took care of the interface. Have you tried picking something from -- say -- Crutchfield and calling their support line and picking their brains? A smaller local shop may also do, especially if you order the adapters through them.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Call Metra and check if it will work for you. Their techs appear to know their products well.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I checked with crutchfield and they recommended the gmos-01.. I ordered that along with The antenna adapter n The double din mounting bracket all for $90 on amazon.. Should be here next week.. So when I get it installed will report back.. Thanks again mark!

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Hey black arrow.. Yeah I did finally get it in.. Used the gmos-01 adapter. Unfortunately the adapter didn't keep the rear seat audio controlls, although it's not that big of a deal for me.

uploadfromtaptalk1424636797766.jpg

gmc4flash

Mar 25, 2015
as an fyi... this would have allowed you to keep you rsa controls. Pac RP5-GM11 , just installed one on my Son's 02 envoy with a Kenwood receiver. Keeps onstar, rap, rsa and chimes.

Reactions: Mounce

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Thanks GMC.. I may consider that when I get around to figuring out the mod I want to do for the rsa. For now the gmos1 works perfect. Although I do still need to get the steering wheel adapter.. But not a priority rite now lol

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
If your head unit is dual zone then you can play a different source to the rear with the RP5-11. I only used it because the steering wheel controls were pre-programmed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online