02 envoy xl alternator

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Is there a difference in alternators between XL and regular ones? Thinking 150amp on my XL. They want 149 rebuilt or 179 new. Any good online deals out there?

Any info on removal and install?

Never had to replace on this before and way different down in there compared to what I am used too.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Reactions: GMfever

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Here is what happened. I was at a stop light and noticed center dash message center it said Warning alternator not charging. Looked at gauge which in normally on 14 and it was half way down on left side. Pulled into gas station. Turned off heater blower and radio. Took back off and it went back up to 14 charging. Then it went back down half way and red battery light came on. Finally that went away and started charging again to 14. Then going up drive way both message center and light came on again.

Is there anything else it could be? I am guessing that (dont no name inside alt) isnt kicking in to charge.

Thanks for links.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
The plug in on side of alt looked different in that video then what is on mine? Mine looks like a slim narrow 6 pin or so deal. I have the bose system if that has anything to do with it or did I see it wrong in video?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's on its way out. Had that happen to me where it would stop and start charging again before it permanently died. No difference with Bose or anything, they're all the same.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
The same also happened to me. I actually went to a junkyard and got an alternator from a trailblazer and put it into my envoy. Works just the same.

You might want to invest in a ratcheting 15mm wrench. It will save you with the hassle of the last bolt on the bottom because there is not too much room there for the bolt to be remove. There is an AC hose/line there if i remember that is in the way.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I seen that bottom one was tight. Thanks for the idea on 15mm ratchet type idea. Been wanting to get some never had a reason to though.

I called the junkyards today and it was $40-$50.
I ended up ordering a new one online $89 and not a remanufactured one. I just give up the lifetime warranty for new compared to local new one that was $110 more after tax.

Hope I can do it myself.

Thanks for input.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
You can definitely do the alternator yourself. Make that 15mm ratcheting wrench a flex head to make life more bearable. If it wasn't for that bottom bolt the whole swap would be 15 - 20 minutes. But you've got to add 5 or 10 minutes each time to work with the bottom one.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Alt received new for $89.20 shipped. Not rebuilt.

Installed and works. Can see difference from get go. Dont take 5-10seconds for amps to jump up (kick in) to 14 like old did since I have owned it for many years.

Suggestion snubby 15mm ratchet wrench for bottom bolt. I had snubby and no ratchet style. I ordered a ratchet style regular length but never got here. Regular box end to long but stuck through fan area to break loose bottom bolt.

Didnt install that 3rd 15mm bolt in AC bracket. PITA tried 3 times to start, no go.

Somewhere in the front of the envoy now lives a 15mm craftsman socket. Never did find that socket when it flew off during reinstalling.

Thanks guys for help.

JFI since I have been sick I did call my local shop I trust to get a est to put new alternator on. $56 labor they said. Shop book shows less then hour labor charge.
Now I can call and cancel that appt for Thur.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online