NEED HELP 02 Envoy cooling issues

Scooter72

Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
South Carolina
I have an 02 Envoy SLT. About 2 years ago I did a bunch of upgrades. PCM of NC e fan, pcm tune, cold air intake, tranny cooler, alternator upgrade, upgrade alternator wires. This was done to increase performance, horsepower, economy In preparation to tow a camper.
My problem is about every 2 to 6 months I would burn out a relay and if I didn’t catch it fast enough I would also need to buy a new fan. I have tried numerous upgrades to the fan controls. put in an heavier duty fuse holder and increased the power wire size. I even tried go to a 60 amp solid state relay. Well needless to say I just finished putting in a new to me engine last week Due to multiple instances of overheating (Long story). While I would like to stay with the e fan, I’m done with it for now. I’ve been in touch with PCM of NC. In discussions with them, they mentioned a cou options, on is putting in a thermal fan from an 08. After doing research on this forum, I think that’s what I’m go to do. This will let me keep and go back to the e fan pretty easily if/when I want to. My question is I was looking on Rockauto. in the thermal section for the 08 Envoy, they show one “Four Seasons“ brand with a harness attached the rest don’t show a harness. Do I need one with a harness attached or not. I’m kind of wondering if that one is in the wrong place. I saw a post where Roadie had a link on how to do this conversion, but the link wouldn’t work.
Seeing how I already have the e fan retro done, my pcm fan codes are already removed.

Also if anyone has any ideas why I’m having repetitive problems with my e fan please let me know what you have done. I have a feeling it has to do with living in the south and the constant cycling of the relay and in rush current. I Was thinking of going to a brushless motor, increasing the solid state relay amperage to 100+ rating, (some research shows the used fan can draw up to 90 amps inrush amps upon start) and either buying or making a controller from an Arduino to limit the rapid cycling.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The short version is, unless you also upgrade the radiator to something thicker, e-fans just don't pull enough air to cool our platform. The few former members I knew locally (FL) who bought the PCM of NC kit either didn't keep it, or their truck, for very long after that. I tried my hand at making my own system with a H.O. Spal fan, and variable speed fan controller. Lasted me 1 weekend in May, from just surface street driving, and I ditched it.

I went with the thermal clutch conversion and it was (un)plug and play. This is the one I got off Amazon. Just took my OEM fan, and swapped it over, put this back on. Put some electrical tape over the exposed connector, tucked it away and was all set. I had my codes tuned out already for the efan experiment. :twocents:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am with @Blckshdw on this one.. The E-Fan idea is just a BAD idea on this platform. There just isnt enough surface area in the cores to provide enough cooling.

Yes the stock cooling fan, both electro, and viscous, is a power robber.. But the engineers built it, and it works, and other than the Electro being flakey as they age at times, why screw with it?

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"Also, if anyone has any ideas why I’m having repetitive problems with my e fan please let me know what you have done..."

Some Observations about the possible Failure Dynamics involved here:

(1) The Electro-Viscous Clutch Fan (EV Fan-Clutch) is NOT One System...But Part of THREE.

The Plastic Fan Assembly
The EV Clutch Core
The Water Pump

PLASTICEVFANCLUTCH2.jpg

(2) Unlike many other EV Fan Designs, the Trailblazer Plastic Fan has a multiplicity of Fan Blades WITH the Added Mass of having a Circular Air Dam molded into its Outer Orbit.

PLASTICEVFANCLUTCH.jpg

(3) THIS tends to move a lot of the Mass from where is should be for stability... (closest to the Axis of Rotation) ...out and away from the center, and thus, when Wobbling...it can induce HUGE Vibrations into the Bearings and the Housing of the Water Pump:

29528230828_646a8b7b25_c.jpg43350773022_f4e28013ff_c.jpg

(4) The Plastic Fan Blade Assembly is Balanced at the GM Factory using Clip-On Steel Micro-Weights applied to some of the Leading Edges of certain Blades in order to minimize any Out Of Balance rotational moments. However. if any become dislodged or deliberately moved from their original positions... this throws the entire Fan Assembly ...Out Of Balance.

(5) These Vibrations and Forces act upon the Bearings internal to the Water Pump and can contribute to Early Bearing Failure therein. They are also introduced into the Electro-Viscous Mechanism at its core.

(6) If a Non-OEM Water Pump is installed... Early Bearing Failure can also occur and cause the Plastic Fan Assembly to Wobble Violently at its outer orbit.

(7) Last but not Least in all of this arrangement...is the side-mounted Electrical Harnessing and the Inner Electro-Viscous Free Wheeling Clutch Assembly...essentially floating within until the Viscous Fluid is moved to the point where the Clutch finally engages and begins drawing down enough energy to rotate the Fan Blade Assembly.

(8) An additional Failure Mode involves the Wiring hidden inside of the PVC Tube leading from the Clip Mounted Harness Plug fixated on the Left Upper side of the Radiator Shroud imparting the shakes coming from the Body and Engine Vibrations allowing the Wires inside to Rub Through and Short Circuit the Harness. Bad or Failed Gel-Filled Motor Mounts are the Culprits here along with the Poor Engineering shown in the illustration below:

2009-10-24_201334_fan-harness.gif

These Three Assemblies are all subject to being Damaged by Excess Vibrations that can spell the premature failure of ANY such assemblies ...if ANY of the Three Sub-Components becomes Out Of Balance..

Attachments

• 43350773062_8162120568_c.jpg
    43350773062_8162120568_c.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 29528230478_13b296c193_c.jpg
    29528230478_13b296c193_c.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bob, he was talking about his efan setup, causing the multiple relay and fan motor failures. :tongue:

• Wow
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Your best bet is to go back to a thermal fan clutch from an 08-09. The ACDelco has been tested as the only one that works correctly.

I drank the e-fan Koolaid a long time ago and it failed miserably. Overheating and poor A/C performance. At least I didn't get to the point of needing another engine. Went back to a thermal and all was good.

Reactions: Scooter72

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online