02 Bravada help

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
I know this is going to be a multi-part question. What I have is an 02 Bravada with a UC6 non-Bose 6 disc changer. Disc (or discs) are jammed into it and will not load or eject. Not a huge deal as all my music is on an Ipod. I want to be able to use the Ipod or (Android phone/tablet - yes I have too many different types of toys). I want to weigh in my options. I have steering wheel controls and rear audio ... I wish to retain both. Truck has OnStar but I have no desire to activate it.

1) I would like to replace the headunit - I can find a UC6 cheap but I have been hearing evil things about security locks and VIN.
2) Aftermarket - is there anyway to retain the rear audio and steering wheel controls? I'd also want something that "looks right" so likely double din, same color with green lighting
3) interfaces
a) USB interface to connect to UC6 - my preference because this should support both the 'droids and the Ipod (possibly charges them too) ... I could use parts numbers/a vendor
b) Bluetooth interface to connect to UC6 - cleaner installs no visable "ports" to cut into the dash - may just have an on/off switch ... I could use parts numbers/a vendor
c) RCA interface to connect to UC6 - I can find cables to plug in either 'droid or Ipod and use one of the nearby power outlets on the dash ... I could use parts numbers/a vendor
d) mini-mic aux input for UC6 - I hate mini-mic plugs as they get loose and wiggle but if this becomes my only feesible option - I'm all ears ... I could use parts numbers/a vendor

I ask these questions here because my own leg work and talking to several local installs (both chains and smaller stores) has led to a lot of conflicting information. Most of the kits I can buy say they are for 03 and up - mines an 02 ... however I have seen the UC6 in later model trucks. Looking at pictures of the UC6 I "assume" the round S-link style connector is the AUX-in and I also assume I can not just simply plug in a basic S-link to RCA adapter and expect it to work. I also realise that someone is going to flog me for not "searching this topic" I've looked through this forum for several pages ... all of the posts I've read were either Bose or later models (and I believe the 02 is different or atleast the component manufactures seem to think so). My truck was built in Feb 02, so it's not a really late model 02 either.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1) Any replacement UC6 will need to be programmed by the dealer to work with your truck to match the VIN. Has to be a 2002 because it's a bastard year
2) You would need an adapter to retain rear and steering control with an aftermarket HU. The GMOS-100 is one of the few that does. Not cheap at $220 at Crutchfield. Reliability has been poor with Metra units.
3)
a) b) None exists
c) d) 2002 is a bastard year. Can't make any interface via XM for it, no inputs are available.

Since you have a non-Bose unit, it would be easier to replace it with an aftermarket unit. eBay has some nice Android based units that I have been looking at for a while, with steering controls and other goodies. Again, you will still lose the rear controls unless you use the GMOS-100. I don't miss mine, never used them.

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
So ... I go aftermarket ... I wanna double din and something that blends in.
What are some options? I definately want to keep steering controls and either USB or bluetooth

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are lots of options. Here are a few off eBay. Not sure if any of the major brands has steering wheel functions but you can get an interface for that.

[EBAY]140909623269[/EBAY]
[EBAY]171019798562[/EBAY]
[EBAY]370689069966[/EBAY]

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
<object width="355" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://togo.ebay.com/togo/togo.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="base=http://togo.ebay.com/togo/&lang=en-us&mode=normal&itemid=130874542028&query=ferrari&clk_rvr_id=482490577144&POS=copywidget&VER=single" /><embed src="http://togo.ebay.com/togo/togo.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="355" height="300" flashvars="base=http://togo.ebay.com/togo/&lang=en-us&mode=normal&itemid=130874542028&query=ferrari&clk_rvr_id=482490577144&POS=copywidget&VER=single"></embed></object>I think I am leaning more this direction

Think I'll leave the full 'droid touchscreen well to an android tablet or my phone. Has a USB adapter so even my iPod Classic will plug straight in. But between my Galaxy S2, (my GF for whom I'll be re-activating) my old Galaxy Prevail ... 3 iPod touches, a Motorola Xoom 10.1 tablet and (2) yet to be bought 7" or 8" tablets, it all has to be pretty flexable ... like I said I like my toys.

semi-related I need to figure out why my back speakers won't play - who knows I may do all the doors too - seems wrong to replace the stereo and leave factory speakers ... speakers are the key to any system

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Link is effed up so I can't see it. Just put those out there as suggestions :biggrin:. If it meets your criteria, go for it.

I would imagine the speakers are bad. They've been known to croak. Definitely worth changing them.

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
Sorry I toyed with the links several times and screwed them up ... .I was thinking either the JVC kw-r800bt but I think I am leaning more towards the Pioneer fh-x700bt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I tend to lean towards Pioneer since I've had the FH-P8000BT for a few years (now in my son's Honda), it had great sound. The sound retriever worked great for enhancing the sound of MP3's. The fh-x700bt looks very similar. But, it doesn't have steering wheel controls and doesn't say anything about Android support. On the other hand, the JVC kw-r800bt does have the steering wheel controls and supports Android. It is more expensive. Don't know what the sound is like but I do have a JVC NX7000-BW. It's Ok, just doesn't sound as good as my old Pioneer although it's also a few years old.

I think either of these would work well. Depends on what you want and the money.

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
When it mentions iPod ready, that means you can buy a cable that plugs into the back which allows 100 iPod control/charging. For the droid ... I can 1) pair via Bluetooth 2) likely use the usb port or 3) plug in via the aux in mini mic jack. I want to be able to use a droid - yes since my phone and any tablet will be droid but ALL my MP3/AAG files are on my one iPod ... so it really would be my primary input source. The pioneer has a wired steering wheel controls input jack on the back for their optional steering wheel remote ... I've been to any unit with this feature can have the factory controls used with an adapter ... I was told I may still keep the rear remote and not have to buy the $200.00 adapter ... that I'll have to see. First, I think speakers ... I'll buy matching pairs of 6.5"s and throw those in myself .... even though, there was a time ... I'd never consider allowing someone to install a stereo ... health, I believe dictates it. I have wiring on my cutlass ... I still need to finish, no sense starting (not finishing) another project lol

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
First off, from all my research done, you do NOT need a 2002 only radio. You just need to make sure that the new/newer replacement radio has the same specifics of your current radio when it comes to the audio output. Bose, non-Bose. Specifically, you are going to be looking for a 2002-04.5 replacement. Of which there are a couple models, it would just depend if you had the Bose, Non-Bose. You could even get a Factory Nav system, in either the INR or the TNR revisions.

I did some shopping around, looking for all radios with the options you need, and I can not locate a NEW CD6, but have located a few used ones. New means no trip to the dealer for reprogramming, used does. I have also located CD/Tape NEW. As well as Nav units.

Next, If your an android guy like I am, then, assuming your stay with a OEM stock radio (making sure it has the word BAND and not AM/FM), I would suggest getting the BlueFusion unit (Bluetooth Audio, as well as phone), as well as the XM unit if so desired.

Staying stock is also the most cost effective overall, retaining door chimes, OnStar (except for those of the 02 model years), steering wheel controls, rear seat radio controls, etc.

I have 2 CD6 radios, both worked flawlessly with my BlueFusion, and so does my recently installed Factory Nav system.

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
I decided that my back speakers are blown so I'm doing all 4 doors. Since I am replacing speakers ... I am justifying doing the whole stereo. I am getting the Pioneer, GMOS-01, 40-GM10, and ASWC-1 from Crutchfield and just putting it in myself ... I was going to have it done but DZP (Dave) has convinced me otherwise ... He just hasn't convinced me I need the touch screen unit. I seen the Pioneer on display at Best Buy and got a quote on install. I like it and well I am not afraid of electrical (I've almost completely rewired the Cutlass ... almost just not done yet) - just my health makes it hard and I didn't want two cars apart but he said he'd come help so ....

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
pioneer.jpg

DrRansom442

Original poster
May 16, 2013
Black LT said:
Sweet.
All hooked up and working well I hope.

sorry for the late reply ... been slacking the stereo is in but the steering wheel controls need to be hooked up. I also haven't put in the door speakers yet. But I love my stereo and all it's options. I'll be replacing the door handles (chrome) and HVAC controls too. Buddy of mine has an almost brand new looking control. Thinking about new steering wheel buttons too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online