WTB: Fab Winch/Offroading Ready Bumper for 2005TB

KKrzy

Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Hey guys

I am looking for someone to create a custom fab for my newly acquired 2005 Trailblazer.

I just purchased it as my second trail car, and I bought it because of how much I fell in love with on a trip. He told me a guy at MDB productions created it for him, but I contacted the fabled Mike and he told me he is backlogged a year so now I am stuck searching out.

This is a posting for anyone out there that is looking to do a whole fab work on the front bumper - rad, skids and a bumper (with possibly a bar).

If anyone has anyone they want to refer to me, that would be great!

Thanks again and nice meeting everyone here!

~Jeffrey

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Mike can still do the skid plates as from what he told me there isn't a lot of time invested in them like the bumpers. But double check with him first.

KKrzy

Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Opeth said:
Mike can still do the skid plates as from what he told me there isn't a lot of time invested in them like the bumpers. But double check with him first.

A lot of time invested in the bumpers, as they are not worth it, or fast to make?

As for Mike, I PMd him and he replied saying as of 12/1/12 he has stopped taking orders for bumpers since his hobby was taking up a lot of time, and he was only getting more orders each day.

I can see what I can do with him and maybe be lucky to get his craftsmanship since every time I see a TB with a winch-ready bumper, they always say its from MDB.

and Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I got mine custom-made from a local welder/offroad fabricator. They are out there. Check craigslist and Google, or other offroad enthusiast clubs for references.

KKrzy

Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
the roadie said:
I got mine custom-made from a local welder/offroad fabricator. They are out there. Check craigslist and Google, or other offroad enthusiast clubs for references.

They were, but a lot of shops in Florida shut down because of the recession and either went north or closed forever. I suppose I will keep on looking and maybe Mike will somehow get back to me with better news.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Jeffrey, as I posted in response to the same thread on ORTB: (BTW, it's the same people here and there)

I guess I should have said in our PMs (I was actually going to say it in this one, but then I saw this thread, so figured I'd just reply here), I do still sell and ship skidplates for the oil pan and radiator, with a 3-4 week lead time. Bumper wait time would be the same whether I took your deposit now, or in 8-9 months, but I just hate holding deposits and buying (and storing) stock that far ahead.

As far as I know, the only other outfit that makes bumpers for us is Tactical Armor Group. They had gotten a pretty bad rep when they were Kennasaw Mountain Accessories, and changed their name (and also sell under "blue mountain" something). The problem is that you have to weld the mounts onto the thing after you get it, and it's like 6" too wide for the vehicle. Actually, the reason that I started making bumpers in the first place, is because Kyle (Hardtrailz) called them and asked them if they could make a bumper the width of the one they have on their site (Jamesdowning's), and they told him no, it would be the standard width; so he called me to buy a piece of C-channel, and we made a bumper, instead. If you look at JamesDowning's bumper build, you'll see that he bought their base bumper, and had his local fab guy do like $1k of work to it to make it fit right and add the brush guard and stuff.

Nobody makes a rear bumper for us, as a standard offering.

Likely, your best bet would be to buy a HF (or good used name brand) welder, and learn to make your own stuff. Several others on here have done so, and are glad they did. You'll be money ahead on the 2 bumpers, and no more paying people to make stuff for you, ever. Several of us, myself included, can give you pointers and tell you how we made/make ours. All you really need is a welder and an angle grinder (and a $20 metal-cutting carbide blade for a circular saw makes it go MUCH faster on straight lines!).

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You may try just asking at welding places. Many have a guy or know a guy that builds custom truck stuff on the side. I would not let most "offroad" places around here build anything for my truck. Those shops tend to do bolt-on and not the amount of fab required to get a solid funtional bumper.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online