Would this piss you off?

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So for the entusiasts let me know if this would piss you off of if I overreacted. So I detailed the exterior of my wift's Rainier most of Saturday and some of Sunday. I worked hours and hours on it to give it a bi annual full work up. I even treated the inside plastic of all the wheel wells and the car looked like new. So I get home last night from work and she decided that she would drive down the last remaining dirt road in the entire county. Literally there is only one dirt road left here which is easy to avoid with the tar road a mile past it. So I got home, and was pretty pissed that she thought so little of the many hours of work I put into her car, that she actually drove the dirt road instead of easily avoiding it with one of the two alternates. I have very little time to spend and it was a big sacrafice to spend much of my weekend doing this. The dirt road is long and the car is now a disaster. A detail like I put into it would easily last for months but literally 12 hours after I finished it was back to crap.
Her response to me being shocked and dismayed was don't spend your time on my car.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Jkust said:
Her response to me being shocked and dismayed was don't spend your time on my car.
I don't rearrange my wife's underwear drawer, sewing supplies, or bookshelves for exactly the same reason. No upside.

She might not appreciate the "gift" of time and effort you put in, and if you try to FORCE her to appreciate it, then it wasn't a true gift, freely given.

Make yours look nice if it makes you feel good, but you don't gain or lose anything by the appearance of hers except for maybe the driveway appearance of the vehicles as a "couple". She sounds like she has priorities like mine - function counts - bling is of little value. YMMV. :wink:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I deleted my original post because I have to agree with Roadie.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Jkust said:
So for the entusiasts let me know if this would piss you off of if I overreacted. So I detailed the exterior of my wift's Rainier most of Saturday and some of Sunday. I worked hours and hours on it to give it a bi annual full work up. I even treated the inside plastic of all the wheel wells and the car looked like new. So I get home last night from work and she decided that she would drive down the last remaining dirt road in the entire county. Literally there is only one dirt road left here which is easy to avoid with the tar road a mile past it. So I got home, and was pretty pissed that she thought so little of the many hours of work I put into her car, that she actually drove the dirt road instead of easily avoiding it with one of the two alternates. I have very little time to spend and it was a big sacrafice to spend much of my weekend doing this. The dirt road is long and the car is now a disaster. A detail like I put into it would easily last for months but literally 12 hours after I finished it was back to crap.

Yep, after I spend that much time cleaning it I always use to try n hide it in the garage or put my car behind it hoping she'd take the car.

On the bright side it will be easier to wash the second time and a quick shami dry n it'll look great again!

Feb 24, 2012
I will clean my truck, and my cars, the way you did this one, but not my wife's. Hers I will wash and occasionally vacuum. It gets run through the car wash a few times a year and that's about it. I clean the inside of the windshield when I can't see out of it anymore. It carries the kids, gets food crap in all the nooks and crannies, beach sand in the cargo area and even though I really like driving her car, it is never going to be as clean as mine. I have accepted this and moved on. I used to try to clean her cars like my cars, but realized that she just isn't even going to try, so I don't try either. She knows not to treat the interiors of my cars like that and that's all that counts I guess.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Lol yea that'd piss me off but that'd be the last time detailing it

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
Sounds like a passive aggressive move on her part. Probably her way of saying her list of projects is more important than yours. Either way, you have gotten your point across to her, going any further is just going to digging the hole deeper.

I would be frustrated, but the female species thinks things through in ways we will never be able to.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I don't mind the slow eroding of a nice detail job as I expect it's going to look the part in a few weeks. To me it is like spitting into the wind...you just know not to do it. A detail job on her car can stay nice for months since it gets a couple miles a day on it usually.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I'd be pissed, but I think my gf may be even a tad but more anal than I am when it comes to detailing and wax jobs. I wouldn't mind doing it for her since she'd enjoy it and respect what I did.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
My wife doesn't drive, Envoy is all mine :smile: However, her list of priorities is similar. I have spent an entire weekend cleaning and detailing the truck and not a mention. If fact I bet I could pick her up from work in a completely different color truck and she wouldn't even notice. On a different note, God help me if I don't mention that her new hair style looks pretty or that shes wearing a new blouse that's very flattering :hissyfit: but we all have different priorities.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
yes, it would piss me off, and that has happened to me in the past also.
i've learned to just bite my lip, because if i haven't already, i will certainly do some thing in the furture that will piss her off.
maybe it was payback for something you did long ago. (and only she knows or remembers what it was):yes:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I just take care of keeping the tires and oil good on her van...I know better than to waste time actually cleaning it. If I have to drive it I will give it a quick clean for me, but dont bother trying for her. She doesnt care a bit about the looks, just that is goes and is safe.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I just take care of keeping the tires and oil good on her van...I know better than to waste time actually cleaning it. If I have to drive it I will give it a quick clean for me, but dont bother trying for her. She doesnt care a bit about the looks, just that is goes and is safe.

It becomes our family car on the weekends and when we go to the kids games. I hate driving a dirty, pos is another issue.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I will just refuse to drive hers as the family vehicle when it is filthy and we take my truck. I cant force her to keep it clean, but I can keep mine clean and drive it.

Sounds like your truck needs to be utilized more.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
As close in most reguards as your 360's are why don't you use both for the family stuff too? Is your's off limits?

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
I don't rearrange my wife's underwear drawer, sewing supplies, or bookshelves for exactly the same reason. No upside.

She might not appreciate the "gift" of time and effort you put in, and if you try to FORCE her to appreciate it, then it wasn't a true gift, freely given.

Make yours look nice if it makes you feel good, but you don't gain or lose anything by the appearance of hers except for maybe the driveway appearance of the vehicles as a "couple". She sounds like she has priorities like mine - function counts - bling is of little value. YMMV. :wink:

I gotta disagree with you here, Roadie. The issue isn't her valuation of function over form, the issue is her disrespecting the time, effort, and money put in by someone else on her behalf. It's just rude, whether she really particularly cared about the detail job or not. If your family member gives you a sweater you don't like, you don't stand up, give them the middle finger, and promptly use it to wipe up oil in the driveway just because you prioritize a clean driveway over an ugly sweater.

As somebody else pointed out though, this definitely stinks of revenge. Perhaps the OP came home late and said he grabbed a couple burgers with the guys and thus wasn't hungry for the dinner she spent hours making?

Opeth said:
I'd be pissed, but I think my gf may be even a tad but more anal than I am when it comes to detailing and wax jobs. I wouldn't mind doing it for her since she'd enjoy it and respect what I did.

I can not be the only person whose mind went somewhere inappropriate when reading this.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
^^^ Unfortuinately nobody has the right to "expect" something from someone else even if they are married... The bottom line is that he likes detailed cars/trucks. She apparently isn't too concerned about it. They are a means of transportation to her and thats what it comes down to for some ppl. Not all... Nothing wrong with either veiw, just different.:yes:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Jkust said:
So, grant her wish. My wife couldn't care less how her Subaru looks...so I don't either. If she were to ask me to help her clean it, I would. But I won't just do it for her.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My wife thinks its stupid to wash the truck more than once a week. I think its needed whenever it looks dirty. Being black now I wash it 2 times a week. I like to keep a clean lookin ride...she could care less.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
I wash and wax the cars knowing that she doesn't care as much as I do. I know by the time she gets from my parents house (only one with a garage) to hers, the car will be a disaster. Not much she can do about it. Lives out in the country. The roads are narrow and traveled by tractors (slinging mud all over the place). The last 3 miles to her house the road is a mix of gravel and dirt. Her driveway is dirt. Just try to add the layer of protection to the car. Don't necessarily do it to make it look good. She appreciates it, but its out of her control. Her car is an 06, and it's been waxed 3 times since she bought it brand new Feb 06. I started dating her in 09. Shes never waxed it. Its lucky if it gets washed quarterly with her. But I know she doesn't care what it looks like. Long as it runs - that's her only concern. Her version of waxing it to select the "hot wax" button on the drivethru car wash :frown:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Mine keeps a nasty car. I'll help if she asks, but I won't do it because I felt kind.

BUT, I (try to) keep the TBSS immaculate. In that respect, I insist that she helps (she does so willingly now - gives her a sense of accomplishment) keep it clean. She takes care of the upholstry, RainX and helps polish the wax when I detail the beast.

She also appreciates the time spent detailing vehicles and how spiffy they look when we're done.

( And she now get more pissed when it rains or harmless gets dirty than I do. It's kinda comical! :cool: )

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
Lima Tango said:
I can not be the only person whose mind went somewhere inappropriate when reading this.

Yup, straight to the gutter... :rotfl:

On topic, a similar situation happened to me recently. I had just finished a major buff job and wax on my TrailBlazer and the next day my dad drove it. I found it parked outside with wet clay splattered up the side and stuck in the wheel wells. No concept of the time that I spent making it nice, it was just transportation for the day. I didn't say much, just got over it. It happens...

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
Being black now I wash it 2 times a week.

Let's keep race out of this. :biggrin:

fishguy1123 said:
As close in most reguards as your 360's are why don't you use both for the family stuff too? Is your's off limits?

Well two reasons, one because call me crazy but I don't like the kids making a mess with their gear, feet on the seat, etc. It's like the last thing that Is really just mine. Second, the 9-7 is out of its bumper to bumper warranty and the Rainier has another 5 years of GMPP, zero decuctible, no fees, warranty left. My simple minded logic tells me to put miles on the car with the warranty not the one with no warranty.

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I know my wife thinks I'm nuts for the amount of time I spend detailing Canyonaro, but since she doesn't drive, she really has no say in the matter... she likes to say that it's "our" truck, but we both know better... :yes:

Like many of your wives / SO, she really doesn't "care" for the detailing, etc... but she's learned to respect the fact that I care and she knows that I'm not afraid to tell her as much if she decides to make a snarky comment - having almost 20 years to "break her" certainly helps! :tongue:

For me, it's nothing more than pride... it's not uncommon for me to spend 3+ hours cleaning / detailing her...

I love knowing that when I pull up to a light beside some snot-nose punk in his rice (rust) bucket, he's looking at Canyonaro wishing she was sitting in the passenger seat... :thumbsup:

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
CdnGMan said:
I know my wife thinks I'm nuts for the amount of time I spend detailing Canyonaro, but since she doesn't drive, she really has no say in the matter... she likes to say that it's "our" truck, but we both know better... :yes:

Like many of your wives / SO, she really doesn't "care" for the detailing, etc... but she's learned to respect the fact that I care and she knows that I'm not afraid to tell her as much if she decides to make a snarky comment - having almost 20 years to "break her" certainly helps! :tongue:

For me, it's nothing more than pride... it's not uncommon for me to spend 3+ hours cleaning / detailing her...

I love knowing that when I pull up to a light beside some snot-nose punk in his rice (rust) bucket, he's looking at Canyonaro wishing she was sitting in the passenger seat... :thumbsup:

Well, I've had over 15 years of marriage and 4 years of dating her before that but somehow it is generally unacceptable to for me to spend time on the cars. I need to do a full paint correction on the 9-7 and the day I break out the buffer, I can only imagine how that day is going to go. I've never used a DA buffer or any product so I'll be slowing the process down by learning as well. In her mind, you simply hose a car, a little sponging, a quick rinse and done. In reality just the fact our hose water is so hard adds several steps to just the most basic car washing. Any modicum of just basic vehicle maintainance equals I am crazy. Complaining about a scratch on one of the vehicles from kids handlebars or whatever is as though I am just a loon.

Ray Dockrey

Dec 6, 2011
I don't think it has anything to do with disrespect. To her it is just no big deal. My wife is the same. Her thinking is that a car gets you from point a to point b. Nothing else. Doesn't matter what it looks like or anything else. So I quit trying. I keep mine clean and nice looking. She is perfectly okay with that.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I do the maintenance on her vehicle, she takes care of the rest.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Yes, I would have been pissed.

If she did it to intentionally piss you off, that's a major exhibition of disrespect towards you.

If she did not do it intentionally - and I mean no offense here - she's not very observant of her vehicle or of what you do. I don't know how the finances are handled at your home, but if you're paying all (or most) of the bills, she's not taking care of the car you're paying/paid for. Assuming she was home for the weekend, she doesn't care enough to notice how you're spending your time.

Another thing is the disregard she's showing towards the vehicle (not just how shiny it is). We have plenty of unpaved roads around here and virtually every paved road is in much better condition. Better roads mean less wear and tear on the vehicle. All of the dirt and dust cakes on to the body and frame, causing/accelerating rust. Pebbles that are kicked up can chip the paint, causing rust. The dust accelerates clogging of the air filter. The dirt collects on front and rear windshields, requiring more washer fluid to be used and accelerates the wear on wiper blades and motors. If she was following someone, rocks could have chipped the windshield. And then there's the ruts and potholes which accelerate wear on the suspension. Gravel is also less safe to drive on as it can increase the chance of a skid and increase stopping distances.

If she wants it to be HERS, she can have all of it - the monthly payments on the note, the insurance costs, the repair costs, the depreciation, etc. And if she's very lax with keeping it clean, she can live with the stigma and prejudice people show towards slobs.

To those who don't "get" detailing, that's fine. Some folks are very anal about things and some do go overboard. From a practical standpoint, a vehicle's paint, glass, carpet, and upholstery need to be maintained just like an engine or transmission. If you fail to maintain something, it will fail prematurely, resulting in lower value. For those who plan on selling the vehicle while it still has some useful life left in it, regular washing/waxing will be better for resale value. And like many other things, taking care of something a little bit at a time means you won't have to attempt to correct a major problem in the future.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
strat81 said:
... if you're paying all (or most) of the bills, she's not taking care of the car you're paying/paid for. ...
:offtopic: One thing that's contributed to our happy marriage of 39 years (in six weeks) is that we NEVER bring the earning proportion into any discussions. We're equal partners in the marriage, and keep very little money in separate slush funds. For the first ten years of marriage, we earned approximately equally - me as an engineer and her as an IT manager. Then the stress was ruining her health and she stepped back from the management side and ended up doing what was her passion, working in high-end sewing machine sales and support. When I was out of work for 15 months, she never gave me heat for contributing less. Now I'm back to work, and she's starting up a quilt shop and taking no salary until it's profitable (6-12 months). Earning more doesn't entitle anyone to more votes, IMHO. It only drives a wedge into the relationship and fosters resentment.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
the roadie said:
:offtopic: One thing that's contributed to our happy marriage of 39 years (in six weeks) is that we NEVER bring the earning proportion into any discussions. We're equal partners in the marriage, and keep very little money in separate slush funds. For the first ten years of marriage, we earned approximately equally - me as an engineer and her as an IT manager. Then the stress was ruining her health and she stepped back from the management side and ended up doing what was her passion, working in high-end sewing machine sales and support. When I was out of work for 15 months, she never gave me heat for contributing less. Now I'm back to work, and she's starting up a quilt shop and taking no salary until it's profitable (6-12 months). Earning more doesn't entitle anyone to more votes, IMHO. It only drives a wedge into the relationship and fosters resentment.

I generally agree with you (and congrats on 39 years of marriage! :smile: ).

However, one thing I have noticed is that when people don't have any skin in the game, they tend not to care. That is, if someone isn't paying for it, working for it, etc., they tend to treat that item, project, or activity with less respect and care. This goes beyond the husband/wife relationship - I've seen it with employers/employees, parents/children, and roommates.

Of course, it's not always like this in every circumstance. When mutual respect and trust exist, things go smoothly. When trust and respect do not exist, we end up with problems.

If the wife can't be trusted to take care of a nice vehicle, then maybe a bread-winning spouse shouldn't provide a nice vehicle. Plenty of 20+ year old beater SUVs out there that the OPs wife can use to go bounding down unpaved roads.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
strat81 said:
Yes, I would have been pissed.

If she did it to intentionally piss you off, that's a major exhibition of disrespect towards you.

If she did not do it intentionally - and I mean no offense here - she's not very observant of her vehicle or of what you do. I don't know how the finances are handled at your home, but if you're paying all (or most) of the bills, she's not taking care of the car you're paying/paid for. Assuming she was home for the weekend, she doesn't care enough to notice how you're spending your time.

Another thing is the disregard she's showing towards the vehicle (not just how shiny it is). We have plenty of unpaved roads around here and virtually every paved road is in much better condition. Better roads mean less wear and tear on the vehicle. All of the dirt and dust cakes on to the body and frame, causing/accelerating rust. Pebbles that are kicked up can chip the paint, causing rust. The dust accelerates clogging of the air filter. The dirt collects on front and rear windshields, requiring more washer fluid to be used and accelerates the wear on wiper blades and motors. If she was following someone, rocks could have chipped the windshield. And then there's the ruts and potholes which accelerate wear on the suspension. Gravel is also less safe to drive on as it can increase the chance of a skid and increase stopping distances.

If she wants it to be HERS, she can have all of it - the monthly payments on the note, the insurance costs, the repair costs, the depreciation, etc. And if she's very lax with keeping it clean, she can live with the stigma and prejudice people show towards slobs.

To those who don't "get" detailing, that's fine. Some folks are very anal about things and some do go overboard. From a practical standpoint, a vehicle's paint, glass, carpet, and upholstery need to be maintained just like an engine or transmission. If you fail to maintain something, it will fail prematurely, resulting in lower value. For those who plan on selling the vehicle while it still has some useful life left in it, regular washing/waxing will be better for resale value. And like many other things, taking care of something a little bit at a time means you won't have to attempt to correct a major problem in the future.

Well at our house it is a mixed bag. I earn a decent 6 figure salary, my wife sometimes out earns me by a large margin some years and other years she doesn't as she owns her own company and there are good years and not so good years. Generally in the years when she earns a lot, and we need something, we just write a check for it so we have no payments on anything we own. Last year I bought both the Rainier and the 9-7 for cash from her earnings. (However, she funds her own 401k and own profit sharing which we max out to the tax code max.) Rainier in January and 9-7 in December. Technically then most of what we have came from her earnings as we use mine to pay the day to day living expenses, fund my retirement account and kids colleges, etc. It's not quite the normal situation I realize but most years it is equitable.
My issue I suppose is that everything we have is an asset maybe depreciable but an asset none the less. It's just how I do things...take care of them to the absolute best of my ability. Whether it is the push mower, boats, snowmobiles or anything.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Jkust said:
My issue I suppose is that everything we have is an asset maybe depreciable but an asset none the less. It's just how I do things...take care of them to the absolute best of my ability. Whether it is the push mower, boats, snowmobiles or anything.

That's the rub for me as I'm the same way. I do my best to take care of my gear (cars, guns, tools, house, appliances, etc.) so that it takes care of me. And it bothers me to no end when my wife doesn't take care of something and then the onus is on me to repair it or replace it.

It's sounds like she's a financially self-sufficient girl. Her car can be her business - oil changes, gasoline, car washes, all of it.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
strat81 said:
And it bothers me to no end when my wife doesn't take care of something and then the onus is on me to repair it or replace it.

It's sounds like she's a financially self-sufficient girl. Her car can be her business - oil changes, gasoline, car washes, all of it.

Basically after all of these years, what I've figured out is that she thinks at a really high level but just doesn't bother with all the low level day to day details related to the house and car maintainance. The kind of gal that while in college would be the only person in class to out think the professors. I was in several of her classes. It is up to me to do everything mechanical/maintainance/project related or if left up to her, she'll do it wrong or half ass and I alway have to redo it with. The worst thing I can hear when I get home from work is "take a look at what I did today". Usually translates into look at how many hours of your free time I have committed to having you fix this. She is bad with details.

As for the car being her business. I tried that one time a couple cars back. It was a nice minivan and she didn't wash it an entire winter and it prematurely rusted. That particular minivan had a design flaw that if not kept salt free, it absolutely was going to rust. I'll ignore the fact she rolled her former Rainier on black ice in the spot that when she left I said 'avoid that spot'. Or on a holiday weekend when the cops are radaring and ticketing everybody and I say before she goes somewhere 'make sure you don't speed because you will get a ticket' and she comes home with a speeding ticket.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Have not read thru the whole thread.. But..

Most ladies, mine included, dont appreciate a good gesture of hard work, or endulged time on to them, unless it is directly for them. The majority of them dont veiw it as a nice gesture of time, or hard work, but more of a insult of, in this case, the truck looked like shit, and since you wont wash it, I will.

And spending all your time to make your truck look like a million bucks, while hers doesnt, is also a futile batte. That turns into a "mines better than yours", almost a dick swinging contest.

The only way for this to be a Win/Win battle for the both of you, is for both of you to do the job. And this involves a comunication factor with your lady, to let her know that the work needs to be done, and this is the day I have planned for this.

Knowing most women, she will say that she has a mani/pedi that day, and yes this will require a rescheduleing of events, but it will eventually get done.

My wife, who read this post, completely agrees with me...

No offense to you women out there, but for most of you, anniversary dates are important. For most men, just getting thru the week without pissing you off enough to put us in the dog house is a batte. I will be damned if I am going to remember some damn date on top of that.

So humor us, and let us think that what we are doing is also important. Because it is to us...

EDIT: What is a MR System?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
strat81 said:
I generally agree with you (and congrats on 39 years of marriage! :smile: ).

However, one thing I have noticed is that when people don't have any skin in the game, they tend not to care. That is, if someone isn't paying for it, working for it, etc., they tend to treat that item, project, or activity with less respect and care. This goes beyond the husband/wife relationship - I've seen it with employers/employees, parents/children, and roommates.

Of course, it's not always like this in every circumstance. When mutual respect and trust exist, things go smoothly. When trust and respect do not exist, we end up with problems.

If the wife can't be trusted to take care of a nice vehicle, then maybe a bread-winning spouse shouldn't provide a nice vehicle. Plenty of 20+ year old beater SUVs out there that the OPs wife can use to go bounding down unpaved roads.

I don't agree with this at all...I'm a stay at home mom to 4 children. I take care of household needs, children's needs, and with a small income I also take care of certain finances. My husband makes all my truck payments for me even though the truck is in my name only, and it would drive most husbands nuts with how much time and effort I put into taking care of my truck, that I don't pay a dime for(besides gas once in a while). I wash, wax, and detail every inch of it at least once a week(I dont wax it that much though). I pay attention to all the regular maintenance, and all the uh oh's this thing has thrown at us, and I even offer a helping hand crawling into tight area's and getting dirty. Once again...I don't and have not made a single payment for this truck either. So as far as people having the mindset of, "If I didn't pay for it, I'm not taking care of it" kind of seems far fetched. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen because it does unfortunately, but in my opinion it's more the teens/children who do have this mindset. And with most adults, if they are like that, it's usually seen before you marry or enter a long term relationship, which then if you marry them anyways, you get to deal with it.

Separating spouses by how much they make is just nonsense. It's truly unfair. As a stay at home mom, this hits home a bit. Because if it weren't for me, and a lot of other wives/moms, my husband wouldn't be able to go out and make the money he does make. Even though I am not the main bread winner in the household, I still very much pull my equal weight in the marriage.

TollKeeper said:
Have not read thru the whole thread.. But..

Most ladies, mine included, dont appreciate a good gesture of hard work, or endulged time on to them, unless it is directly for them. The majority of them dont veiw it as a nice gesture of time, or hard work, but more of a insult of, in this case, the truck looked like shit, and since you wont wash it, I will.

And spending all your time to make your truck look like a million bucks, while hers doesnt, is also a futile batte. That turns into a "mines better than yours", almost a dick swinging contest.

The only way for this to be a Win/Win battle for the both of you, is for both of you to do the job. And this involves a comunication factor with your lady, to let her know that the work needs to be done, and this is the day I have planned for this.

Knowing most women, she will say that she has a mani/pedi that day, and yes this will require a rescheduleing of events, but it will eventually get done.

My wife, who read this post, completely agrees with me...

No offense to you women out there, but for most of you, anniversary dates are important. For most men, just getting thru the week without pissing you off enough to put us in the dog house is a batte. I will be damned if I am going to remember some damn date on top of that.

So humor us, and let us think that what we are doing is also important. Because it is to us...

Brian, I agree to the point that a lot of women are mainly satisfied when gestures are directed towards them, and they don't take the time to notice what effort their husbands put forth. I feel for those men, I really do. I try to say Thank You to mine for everything he does whether it's a thoughtful gesture towards me, or just for being the man that he is. So what if the anniversary date was missed....all that should matter is that he is still there. Just because a man misses an anniversary does not mean he doesn't love you or isn't thoughtful. Waking up, going to work, helping with kids, helping to cook, clean, or just sitting and cuddling should be enough.

BUT, I also have to say that the lack of communication is the cause for a lot of issues within a relationship. When you wash her truck, let her know you would appreciate it if she worked a bit harder actually keeping it clean. And don't say it in a way where she has to read your mind or guess at hints. Tell her, I worked hard cleaning both truck, your truck or whatever and I would appreciate it if a little effort was taken in keeping it clean. Communication is key here, granted the effort should be put forth despite having to say anything, but some people need to be told certain things. I know I get upset when I spend a lot of time cleaning something, whether it's the truck or the house or laundry and what not, and it ends up getting dirty 5 minutes later, but you must really choose your battles, because some just aren't worth fighting because the reality of it is quite clear. With 4 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats and 2 adults....a house just cannot stay clean for 5 minutes, it's damn near impossible, so if I ask hubby to wash dishes, and I come home to a plate and 4 glasses in the sink, I don't bitch because at some point it's going to get dirty again, it's just how things work sometimes. A truck can't stay clean forever, even one that stays locked in a garage, it's inevitable. Communication, equality, forgiveness, and choosing your battles is always the advice I give to others.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
NewfieEnvoy said:
My wife doesn't drive, Envoy is all mine :smile: However, her list of priorities is similar. I have spent an entire weekend cleaning and detailing the truck and not a mention. If fact I bet I could pick her up from work in a completely different color truck and she wouldn't even notice. On a different note, God help me if I don't mention that her new hair style looks pretty or that shes wearing a new blouse that's very flattering :hissyfit: but we all have different priorities.

By the way, I nominate this post for the post of the month... If there is such a thing..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online