Which Exhaust Tip Should I get?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Hi everyone, I wanna do the res delete now. I have the opening in the bottom of the bumper skirt for the exhaust and I'm looking for some suggestions as to what would look best there, that opening is 6.5" wide and 2" deep. it looks like the pipe is 2.75". What do you suggest and where should i get it from?

Attachments

• DSC02319.jpg
    DSC02319.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02320.jpg
    DSC02320.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 29

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I personally like how twin exhaust look and these will fit nicely in your truck :thumbsup:

[EBAY]250927709852[/EBAY]

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I personally like how twin exhaust look and these will fit nicely in your truck :thumbsup:

[EBAY]330763599329[/EBAY]

I've never considered twin pipes I'll have to look into that. I was thinking oval or oblong.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I've never considered twin pipes I'll have to look into that. I was thinking oval or oblong.

Yeah just check the pipe size behind the reso to make sure, I gave you a 2.25" one and fixed it to 2.5" so see which one. I think with the cut out the twin look would flow really nice and not over done with a huge oval or anything, thats just me its really up to you from there also! Also if you want some sound you can always do one of these! They would sound pretty nice with the v8 you got :yes:

Like I said just make sure on the size of the pipe because I never did a reso delete yet and I do not know any numbers, these are just some ideas for you :thumbsup:

[EBAY]300739541608[/EBAY]

and if you want a signal look

[EBAY]300739541493[/EBAY]

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah just check the pipe size behind the reso to make sure, I gave you a 2.25" one and fixed it to 2.5" so see which one. I think with the cut out the twin look would flow really nice and not over done with a huge oval or anything, thats just me its really up to you from there also! Also if you want some sound you can always do one of these! They would sound pretty nice with the v8 you got :yes:

Like I said just make sure on the size of the pipe because I never did a reso delete yet and I do not know any numbers, these are just some ideas for you :thumbsup:

[EBAY]300739541608[/EBAY]

and if you want a signal look

[EBAY]300739541493[/EBAY]

I don't see any pics here?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I don't see any pics here?

there just the links I sent from ebay

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
there just the links I sent from ebay

Ya I don't see anything just spaces where a pic would go, I'm on a iPod now maybe that's why, I'll check on laptop later.

Thanks again.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Ya I don't see anything just spaces where a pic would go, I'm on a iPod now maybe that's why, I'll check on laptop later.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah just check your comp later on! It does that on my iPad also

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I'm doing delete too on Monday, question. If pipe is 2.25 what size tip should I get to have ave welded on? Exact same size or bigger?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Canary2323 said:
I'm doing delete too on Monday, question. If pipe is 2.25 what size tip should I get to have ave welded on? Exact same size or bigger?

You can get whatever size you want, just make sure the inlet is 2.25" so it fits the pipe so they can connect them, it can come out to be 3" if you out.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I like the Tahoe avalanche one, looks kinda oval and what im looking for. I wonder if it is the right size? I be doing some research on that one tomorrow.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Mine looks like the second one, I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20120723_170415.jpg
    IMG_20120723_170415.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20120723_170428.jpg
    IMG_20120723_170428.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 14

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i have a magnaflow oval tip. i like how it fits in the opening. :twocents:

Attachments

• TB exhaust tip.jpg
    TB exhaust tip.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12
  • winter set up 2011 003.jpg
    winter set up 2011 003.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
You can get whatever size you want, just make sure the inlet is 2.25" so it fits the pipe so they can connect them, it can come out to be 3" if you out.

ItsOnVoy said:
you can use them no problem, as long as they fit which these sellers are smart and didn't put the sit it fits just what kind of car. We have a 2.75" pipe so see if that fits that size and your good to go :thumbsup:

So does he need 2.25 or 2.75? You do realize that a decent shop can make other size tips fit as well? I have always gotten 2.5 inch tips since they are more plentiful and the shop just trims the end to the right diameter before welding them on. No issues at all.

fletch09 said:
i have a magnaflow oval tip. i like how it fits in the opening. :twocents:

It does fit well.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
So does he need 2.25 or 2.75? You do realize that a decent shop can make other size tips fit as well? I have always gotten 2.5 inch tips since they are more plentiful and the shop just trims the end to the right diameter before welding them on. No issues at all.

We have a 2.75" pipe there. That 2.25" is what he was asking about!

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I think I found a tip that I like, it was at the dealer today, part#19156357, when I google it Borla comes up so I guess they make it. It was for the Escalade or Yukon Denali. I can't find the dimensions but I think it will fit. I'll have to go back and measure it since I can't find no info. Here is a pic. Do you think it will look good? Better than the resonator I guess...it's a clamp on but I think I'll have it welded on. How much shoul the tip stick out past the bumper cover do you think? It's a big tip.

Attachments

• 19156357.jpg
    19156357.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 181

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Ahh I really like this tip. I've been browsing ebay and can't filter through all the crap to find something I like. Question: will you be carrying your spare tire after the resonator delete? I removed my spare tire winch because it was all buggered up but I'm not a huge fan of hitting the highway with no spare on board. So I'm going to replace it but the rear end looks much cleaner without it. I hate the trash can but to then put that ugly tire back in under is going to kill me.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Ahh I really like this tip. I've been browsing ebay and can't filter through all the crap to find something I like. Question: will you be carrying your spare tire after the resonator delete? I removed my spare tire winch because it was all buggered up but I'm not a huge fan of hitting the highway with no spare on board. So I'm going to replace it but the rear end looks much cleaner without it. I hate the trash can but to then put that ugly tire back in under is going to kill me.

Ya I gonna keep the spare, it's not as noticable on mine because my bumper cover is lower, only a small bit of the spare is seen. So I remembered this pic from the other site, I always thought it was the perfect setup for duals on an Envoy. The Ascender tail lights have the reverse in the tail light, but good luck finding those.

Attachments

• bitmap10724-vi.jpg
    bitmap10724-vi.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 162

Michblaze02

Nov 20, 2011
Im a huge fan of my Corsa tip. I cut my resonator off and had them weld new stainless piping to take up what was taken out. Ive had this one for 4 years and there is no rust. I polish it a few times a year and comes back looking brand new every time. Deffinitly worth the money spent on it. Found mine on ebay for about $85, and was about that to have it installed. Kinda $$$ for just a tip install, but the look is worth it to me, and is still in great shape.

CORSA® 14035 - Chevy Trailblazer 2002 Polished Stainless Steel 3.5" Twin Pro-Series Tip

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Michblaze02 said:
Im a huge fan of my Corsa tip. I cut my resonator off and had them weld new stainless piping to take up what was taken out. Ive had this one for 4 years and there is no rust. I polish it a few times a year and comes back looking brand new every time. Deffinitly worth the money spent on it. Found mine on ebay for about $85, and was about that to have it installed. Kinda $$$ for just a tip install, but the look is worth it to me, and is still in great shape.

CORSA® 14035 - Chevy Trailblazer 2002 Polished Stainless Steel 3.5" Twin Pro-Series Tip

Thats looks really good but kinda pricey, if you look back at my first post with pics I'm looking for something that will go in the space where the exhaust cut out is. I think it measures 6.5" W at the widest part(bottom) x 2" H. How wide n high is that dual tip? I wonder if it will fill up the space better or maybe it's too big. I looked at the Link but no size info, let me know if you can. Thanks.

Michblaze02

Nov 20, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Thats looks really good but kinda pricey, if you look back at my first post with pics I'm looking for something that will go in the space where the exhaust cut out is. I think it measures 6.5" W at the widest part(bottom) x 2" H. How wide n high is that dual tip? I wonder if it will fill up the space better or maybe it's too big. I looked at the Link but no size info, let me know if you can. Thanks.

Its a bit pricey, but it would be the only one youd ever need to buy. Its made from 304L stainless steel. I live in the rust belt, and with minimal care there is no rust at all. I did measure my dual tip, comes in at 7.75" wide, so wouldnt quite make it in your bumper slot without modification. I did find a single tip that is also from corsa Corsa Exhaust Tip - JCWhitney . No matter what you do, I would recommend a stainless steel tip. Personally, I like the dual walled corsa tips, and so far it still looks new.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
The last one I was considering was the Yukon one at GM but the $100 price held me off to keep looking. So yesterday I took my friend to Parts Source, while he was ordering stuff I went to look at the tips they had. I looked at a few and found this one, I thought it looked like the right shape of the cutout, and to my surprise the inlet is 2.75". I took it out and held it up to the truck as best as I could and it sure looked like it belongs there. It was only $45 and I doubt it's T304 stainless. It just says stainless steel, but I'm sure it'll do the job. So I'm gonna cut off the resonator tomorrow and get it welded on.

I'd like to know how much distance should the tip be from the bumper cover 1/4" or 1/2"? Do tips get real hot to melt the bumper cover?

Here's few pics of it...what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC03031.jpg
    DSC03031.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03032.jpg
    DSC03032.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03034.jpg
    DSC03034.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC03038.jpg
    DSC03038.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03039.jpg
    DSC03039.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC02319.jpg
    DSC02319.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 10

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I think it looks pretty cool. I'm not sure of the proper spacing but I personally would leave some space just because of the tip getting hot. The GM tips prices are dopping a bit tho the Silverado tip has gone from $80 down to $68 and free shipping lol. But the one you found is a good deal I'd purchase it especially since you saw how it'd look on your truck.:thumbsup:

Dec 4, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
The last one I was considering was the Yukon one at GM but the $100 price held me off to keep looking. So yesterday I took my friend to Parts Source, while he was ordering stuff I went to look at the tips they had. I looked at a few and found this one, I thought it looked like the right shape of the cutout, and to my surprise the inlet is 2.75". I took it out and held it up to the truck as best as I could and it sure looked like it belongs there. It was only $45 and I doubt it's T304 stainless. It just says stainless steel, but I'm sure it'll do the job. So I'm gonna cut off the resonator tomorrow and get it welded on.

I'd like to know how much distance should the tip be from the bumper cover 1/4" or 1/2"? Do tips get real hot to melt the bumper cover?

I replaced mine a couple of years ago and the decision as to how far to extend past the bumper was difficult. I let is stick out about 2" however I would not do this again. I think 1/2" should be more than enough. I was worried about hot exhaust and the plastic bumper, I am not thinking this is an issue now since I have seen lots of stock tips about 1/2" inch out. Just my :twocents:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Denali n DOO said:

I've been toying with the idea of replacing mine too Darren... I'm looking forward to seeing the final pics of this... I like the look of that tip!

I'm sure that it's gonna make the V8 sound nice & throaty too... :thumbsup:

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Can't wait to see this. Interested to hear how it will sound on the 5.3 without the resonator, let us know.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
am-radio said:
Can't wait to see this. Interested to hear how it will sound on the 5.3 without the resonator, let us know.

Ya shit, I'm pretty anxious wondering what it's gonna sound like being a DOD V8. I hope it sounds good...I'll get a video.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Oh boy...why is nothing easy? So the first shop I called says they only work with 2.5" or 3" stainless and have no 2.75" stainless. I'll make some more calls and keep looking for someone with 2.75". If I don't find anyone should I use 2.5" or 3"? I'd guess maybe 3"? Any thoughts?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
looks like a double wall tip, should not be problem w/ rust.
i would think look @ 2.5". shop should be able to stretch the pipe enough to make it work. (bell the end) they did that on mine.
i've had mine on for 4 years now w/ no problems,
a few pics on how mine sits in opening. no problems w/ heat and bumper.

Attachments

• TB exhaust tip.jpg
    TB exhaust tip.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • rear shot ex & hitch.jpg
    rear shot ex & hitch.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 8

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I just looked inside the tip I have. The inlet is 2.75" but that reduces to 2.5" in the tip. So 2.5" is not too restrictive at all? I guess since the tip reduces to 2.5" inside then a 2.5" piece to replace the resonator should be okay?

Attachments

• DSC03041.jpg
    DSC03041.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 10

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online