Which complete lower control arm should I go with?

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I think its time to replace my lower ball joints on my envoy...driving over small bumps or consecutive cracks in the road surface I can here subtle clunking from the front end and I can also feel it in the steering wheel.

I lifted the front end one side at a time by putting the floor jack under the lower control arm. I then slid a 2x4 under the raised wheel and moved the 2x4 upwards with a jerking motion. I could see the wheel moving up and down ever so slightly. I reached my other hand through the rim and grasped the lower ball joint as I was moving the 2x4 and I could feel a small amount of play in the joint as I moved the piece of wood.
This leads me to believe that the lower ball joints are in need of replacing.

I don't want to press them out because my understanding is that this is a big pain. I figured I would replace the entire lower control arm and bracket to take advantage of new bushings and pre-loaded ball joint. Easier to remove and install too...

Truck has 97,000 miles on it.

Rock Auto carries LCA from MOOG, part number: RK620310 and RK620309, they also have Mevotech part number: CMS50154 and CMS50155.

Any recommendations on which ones to go with? Its about a $10 price difference..

I wish I knew about this 3 months ago because I replaced the front shocks and top shock mounts (Bilstein shocks and KYB mounts),
outer tie rod ends (moog), wheel hub/bearings (Timken), sway bar end links (moog), driver side front diff seal. The top ball joints were nice and tight when I checked them and the bottoms seemed ok at that time.
I guess the bottoms decided to go after I did all that work, oh well!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Another vote for Moog. I really don't trust Mevotech stuff all that much.

Reactions: jpimp

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sweet, I'm fairly ceretain when I changed my LBJ, only Mevotech made the LCA assembly. I went with the MOOG LBJ but my bushings are getting worn. Thanks for the thread, I think when I replace my tires I will go with the MOOG LCA since just replacing the bushings looks like a major PITA.

Also, for the OP, those 3 bolts are real tight and need to be torqued accordingly. I believe the front bolt is 190 foot pounds and the rear two are 177 but double check that. Either way, most torque wrenches don't go that high. Last shop that adjusted my alignment had to move the LCA, I had a panic stop a week later and my left front wheel assembly moved back because they didn't tighten them enough despite me telling them the torque ratings.

Reactions: Robbabob

Frankd1

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks guys, I did a search on the forums and I did come across those torque specs.
I happen to have a wrench that will torque up to 250 lbs/ft so I should be able to get them tightened to spec.
I'll let the alignment shop know as well.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
I have the Mevotech LCA arriving tomorrow. Should have gone with Moog from Rock auto but for me they were shipping from 2 warehouses with a $68 extra cost so I went with Mevotech. Anyone else have good things to say about the Mevotech LCA's lol

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
If you look closely at the part numbers there are 3 models, 2 grades of Mevotech and the R-series from Moog, looking at the pictures the Moog replacement series (unlike the problem solver series) doesn't appear to have a grease-able ball joint but the Mevotech Supreme series does, this is my first experience with Mevotech, I just got them installed but have to wait till next week before getting in for an alignment.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not really. I haven't had good experience with their LBJ and I once got an outer tie rod with a crack in it. Made in China.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The Moogs not having the greasable ball joints doesn't bother me since OEM joints are not greaseable and they typically last 100k miles-ish.

I'd trust a non-greaseable Moog joint over a greaseable Mevotech joint, IMO. Maybe I'm being too harsh though, idk

Reactions: jpimp

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think the ball joints in mevotechs average a couple months with the ortb guys that tried em.

I grabbed the Moog for the 08 with the newer style sway bar mount for mine recently, but am yet to install.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think the ball joints in mevotechs average a couple months with the ortb guys that tried em.

I grabbed the Moog for the 08 with the newer style sway bar mount for mine recently, but am yet to install.
Are the sway bars different as well? Or is it just the end links. Had thought about doing that too when I need them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The sway bars are different, but I make my links so i can just adapt. It is a straight thru mount on the newer arm. Actually be simpler than the current with a joint at each end.

Only take a bolt, heim joint, threaded rod, plus some washers and nuts. Might do a bit of a rubber bushing on the arm side cause I worry about squeaking with the thru mount and washer contact, but I already found some randoms I think will work.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
HARDTRAILZ said:
The sway bars are different, but I make my links so i can just adapt. It is a straight thru mount on the newer arm. Actually be simpler than the current with a joint at each end.

Only take a bolt, heim joint, threaded rod, plus some washers and nuts. Might do a bit of a rubber bushing on the arm side cause I worry about squeaking with the thru mount and washer contact, but I already found some randoms I think will work.
Nice. Thx

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online