When a grill guard hurts more than helps.

guiltyimnot

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Figured I'd post these while I am TB-less for about a month. Was backing into a parking spot last week when someone tried to squeeze around me. Grill guard didn't appreciate being yanked forward from the corner. $5800 in damage. Shop is 3 weeks behind so I get to share the wife's car for now. :-( 2 adults and 3 kids with just an impala right now. Fun stuff. View attachment 30096

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375952856.692751.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375952856.692751.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 122
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375952868.904805.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375952868.904805.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 122
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375952881.804612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375952881.804612.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 122

guiltyimnot

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I was pretty pissed. He was driving a late model Taurus. Had front drivers quarter panel and drivers door damage. Also knocked his mirror off. He definitely got the better end of it.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I agree, not good. Were you able to drive it home? I have always heard horror stories of impacts with animals/cars that create more damage than prevented because of a grill guard used for aesthetic purposes.

Sorry to hear man. I would call around to a few shops and sometimes they can have it towed there under insurance. Not sure what your locale/situation with this is. 3 weeks would have me on the phone all day. Almost worse than what happened :suicide:

EDIT: well that's good. I bet whoever will chill the. .out when rolling through parking lots

guiltyimnot

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Unfortunately I wasn't. It was drivable but with the grill guard hanging like that I wasn't taking chances. He couldn't even load it on the tow truck without pulling it up from the ground some. As much as I'd like to call around my insurance only warrantees work at the shop they had it sent to. And of course my policy doesn't include a rental car.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
guiltyimnot said:
I was pretty pissed. He was driving a late model Taurus. Had front drivers quarter panel and drivers door damage. Also knocked his mirror off. He definitely got the better end of it.

I am surprised that was the only damaged he sustained to the Taurus. I guess grille guards are better for head-on impacts versus side, even though it was not really an impact. I take it that he was an older gentlemen?

guiltyimnot

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
It was actually a coworker the same age as me. Fortunately we do not work the same shift. We only see each other in passing and haven't said a word to each other since. And I agree...too bad I don't have it outfitted like death race.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
guiltyimnot said:
And of course my policy doesn't include a rental car.
Not sure about your state, but you have no recourse against the other driver? If you don't have it on your policy you can't get his company to pay for it? When it's totally his fault like that HE should be digging into his pockets to pay for a rental. Or a little "social pressure" should be brought since it happened on company property?

guiltyimnot

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Unfortunately local pd declared it a no fault accident. And although I was backing into a space the accident was on a city street. And with it being a coworker we both decided it wasn't worth arguing over. We are both out deductibles. But I think my wife and I are probably saving money on gas this month. Plus I needed a new grill anyway after the wife ran over the old one (long story). Honestly. It's already going to hurt him more financially than it will me. If it wasn't someone I work with and potentially have to rely on in a dangerous job I probably would press the issue. But it's just not worth it to me. I've got more important things to worry about.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Should find his desk and put this on it :rotfl:

Red_forman.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Man, that sucks. Too bad it was not an unknown and you coulda got them to pay for it all and had a rental to ramp (on video of course).

guiltyimnot

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Yeah. I am definitely going to add the rental insurance after all this. 3 kids in sports and a wife who works opposite hours from me plus school about to start means I am going to have a very long month. Oh well. Such is life. At least everything will look nice and new when I get it back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online