Wheel hub assembly or axel disconnect bearing?

Xodus989

Original poster
Oct 5, 2022
Muskegon
So I've been having a hum while driving starting at about 15 mph and like most people I assumed it was the wheel hubs starting to go. Got it up and taken apart, but when I spin the hub with everything off, it doesn't spin super freely and is making a metal on metal sound towards the axel disconnect housing I believe. I took a video to show what it sounds like. Does this sound like an axel disco housing bearing? If so, how hard are they to replace?

I also noticed after I took off the passenger side that the lower CV boot was totally torn, so I'm going to need to replace both axle's. Is there any chance this would cause the humming?

And last but not least, does anyone have a good way to unseize a seized caliper slide? I really don't want to replace the whole caliper and deal with bleeding if I don't have to since I have minimal tools here.

Here's the video with the sound: Front axle noise

Also, here's the gd torn boot.
324827952_675423070934057_102957334361859078_n.jpg

Bit of an insane question, I only paid 800 for this car. Is it possible to easily make it RWD only without the front axles? I'm going to be purchasing an new car in the next few months. I just moved to michigan and this was all I could afford until I got a job. I found the thread below. Is it workable to just remove the CV Axles and plug the hole somehow? I don't *need* 4WD here. I only have a few mile commute to work and it's on a main road. It's helpful, but I can go without it.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Yes, you can make it RWD. Just remove the CV axles from the front. The hubs don't need the axles to keep them together. The same hubs were used on 2WD models.
If you go RWD, you can remove the driveshaft from the T-case to the front differential as well.

Regarding your video, it does sound the noise my axle disconnect made the right inner bearing went out and wore a nasty groove on the gear.

Reactions: Mooseman

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
You can see the carnage here:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Use a couple of Gatorade caps in the diff and disconnect holes to protect them if you, or a subsequent owner, wants to put it back in service.

Xodus989

Original poster
Oct 5, 2022
Muskegon
Yes, you can make it RWD. Just remove the CV axles from the front. The hubs don't need the axles to keep them together. The same hubs were used on 2WD models.
If you go RWD, you can remove the driveshaft from the T-case to the front differential as well.

Regarding your video, it does sound the noise my axle disconnect made the right inner bearing went out and wore a nasty groove on the gear.

Use a couple of Gatorade caps in the diff and disconnect holes to protect them if you, or a subsequent owner, wants to put it back in service.

Awesome thanks guys. Good part too, is if I remove the front axles and the noise is fixed, I know what the issue is too! haha. I do plan on switching it back to 4wd when I have the money because it's nice to have an extra car once I get a new one. I just need to get to work on monday.

Are there any guides on how to remove the T-Case / Diff driveshaft? I've never done any drivetrain work outside of calipers, ball joints, and tie rods really.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's very simple. Remove the 4 front u-joint strap bolts, pry off of diff yoke and pry the shaft off front transfer case shaft. Maybe put a bunch of grease on that splined shaft to prevent rusting. Pull the #8 fuse to prevent shifting the TC to 4x4.

You can leave the driveshaft in place. Won't make any difference. Just don't shift it into 4x4. Pulling the #8 fuse will prevent that. You should replace the transfer case fluid. It has a short 50k mile service interval and neglecting it can damage the TC regardless if you use it or not.

Xodus989

Original poster
Oct 5, 2022
Muskegon
It's very simple. Remove the 4 front u-joint strap bolts, pry off of diff yoke and pry the shaft off front transfer case shaft. Maybe put a bunch of grease on that splined shaft to prevent rusting. Pull the #8 fuse to prevent shifting the TC to 4x4.

You can leave the driveshaft in place. Won't make any difference. Just don't shift it into 4x4. Pulling the #8 fuse will prevent that. You should replace the transfer case fluid. It has a short 50k mile service interval and neglecting it can damage the TC regardless if you use it or not.

Copy, I'll just pull that fuse and replace the transfer case fluid tomorrow. I doubt it's ever been done.

Thanks again!

Edit: If I can get the proper fluid at least.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online