Whats this noise..ughhh

convincer253

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I have a constant whining noise coming from the front end ....When I turn the steering wheel to the right it whines and when I turn to the left it goes away...but still whines all the time when going straight....Changed drivers side wheel hub and still making the noise...Changed right wheel hub about 7,000 miles ago...could it be out again...OR is the noise the dreaded Front Axle Disconnect.....It will not go into any 4wd position either....am waiting on an actuator now but I don't think the actuator is going to stop the whining noise im hearing and I only hear it at 20 mph or above...Any ideas...Thanks in advance...

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Had the exact same thing happen to me back in January. The whining, I put off until one day I had to pick my sister up from a friends house with 3" of snow on the ground. Turned out it was the TCASE actuator.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which brand hubs did you use?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm thinking the hub is shot already.

convincer253

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I got the hubs from Oriellys...They are the better brand that they carry with the 3 yr warrenty...Precision Hub assembly I believe is the name..I know it wasn't master pro brand

convincer253

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Snowblazer...I can hear the actuator on the Transfer case working...not actually called an Actuator on the transfer case...cant remember the name but the only actuator I have heard of in this case is on the front axle 4wd disconnect

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
convincer253 said:
Snowblazer...I can hear the actuator on the Transfer case working...not actually called an Actuator on the transfer case...cant remember the name but the only actuator I have heard of in this case is on the front axle 4wd disconnect
Could be referring to an encoder motor. Either way, you should get a noise underneath when switching to A4WD, then another when going into 4HI. Do you hear both motors?

convincer253

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Yes I hear both motors

In my original post I said that when driving I hear the whining all the time...and when I turn the wheel to the right it still whines......That part I got wrong.....When I turn the steering wheel to the right the whining noise GOES AWAY.....when I straighten the wheel out it starts whining again....and when I turn the wheel to the left....the whining is still there.....sorry for the confusion

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This usually means that the right wheel hub is going bad but I have seen instances where the opposite occurred. When you turn right, you are taking weight off the right wheel, hence the reduction in noise.

convincer253

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
thanks for the reply....I guess I can put another new hub assembly in the passenger side and see wheat happens...cant hurt anything ....will be able to rule out that part for certain....

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You may as well replace both at the same time, to be honest. as Moose said, a few of us replaced what we thought was the worn hub doing the steering test and it turned out to be the opposite one.

convincer253

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Well..... just finished changing the passenger side wheel bearing and that took care of the problem....Thanks to everyone for the help fixing this problem.....

Reactions: Mooseman

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
can this thread be stickied/faved for future drivetrain "Whats This Noise?" topics....make it a catch all for when something comes up and you can't quite figure it out

i've got something going on now my mine and I'm going to post a video (while driving on a *closed* course), but I can't figure out if its an easy repair or, dang i'm screwed type of thing

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Could be, but there does o not seem to be a huge number of them needing a catch-all. Will see what the other mods think.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, it is a very common problem for the hubs and is asked on a regular basis. Would be good to have a reference for this issue but if we do this for all common issues, we'll have stickies up the wazoo.

What I have seen on another forum (for snowmobiles) is one sticky and inside of it, a single post with the list of links to common problems and/or fixes. As new ones come out, it's added to the list by a mod.

I've seen some forums with so many stickies that it's a page long.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
that's a pretty good way to go, like that approach

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online