What would you do? Fix it or scrap it and buy something new

jessiewebster

Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
Minnesota
My 2004 Envoy has 175,000 miles on it and needs a new transmission. Would you spend the money and replace it? I'm torn between the idea of having higher miles on the car and paying for a new transmission, or throwing in the towel and buying a new car. (Even though I LOVE my envoy). What would you do....I'm really torn??

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Depends on the cost and what other maintenance it needs.

jessiewebster

Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
Minnesota
I was quoted 1,800-2,000 for a torque converter /transmission. In the previous 4 months before this Ive gotten new brakes, a new O2 sensor, new plugs, and a new starter, I also replaced a front bearing about 9 months ago. Im starting to feel like things keep "popping up". Oh, and now my low beam headlights just stopped working too.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
$2,000 sounds cheaper to me than buying a new vehicle and having monthly payments unless you are going to buy a vehicle that is $2,000 or less.

Most of the things you listed, other than a transmission rebuild, are common maintenance items that will need replaced on any vehicle. If you follow the recommended maintenance/preventive maintenance schedule of these vehicles, it will prevent multiple items from "popping up" at once.

Reactions: Playsinsnow

jessiewebster

Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
Minnesota
Thanks! I'm totally clueless about this stuff. Im just scared that the mileage of 175,000 seems high to be putting more $$ into it, but maybe its not. Im not even sure whats an "average" number of miles most cars last with normal maintenance and upkeep. Im a deer in headlights in this realm.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well, for what it is worth my 2002 Trailblazer has 213k on it and is ticking along just fine mechanically.

If it isn't turning into a rust heap then I'd be inclined to fix it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
$2000 for them to take it out rebuild it and then put it back in is not bad especially since you will have some kind of warranty.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would honestly pick up a used one for a few hundred and roll the dice. Had good luck with used motors and transmissions over the years.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

DESSKI

Nov 6, 2015
Sherman Oaks, California
I think it depends on what vehicle you gonna replace it with. Like most have already said transmission rebuilt will most likely be the least costly route.

You got to consider what your projected maintenance upkeep with be for your current vehicle and compare that to whatever vehicle you want. Obviously if you're buying new it's a mute point but if you're considering buying used then try and get one that has some existing factory warranty left.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online