What do you lifted guys do for spares?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm seriously considering lifting my truck later this year when I get new tires. Might as well right? :biggrin:

But what about the spare?

Is a stock size spare too small to use as a "donut" spare on the front while in 2WD mode to limp home on?

Part of me would hate to buy a $150+ tire (and another $90 wheel if I go aftermarket wheels) just to throw under the truck and never use, if the stock spare would work. If the stock spare is far too short then fine, but thought I'd check first.

Maybe I can find a used 265/75/16 tire for the spare to help offset the cost. Anyone got one of those lying around? :biggrin:

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
What happens when you blow a tire on the trail, still need 4wd, and your spare is undersized. I would just get the full size spare, and work it in with a 5 tire rotation, as compared to a 4 tire rotation. A cheap used tire would work as well, I'd just keep it the same size as the tires you'll be getting.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Good point. I've never gone offroad but if I get the lift I very well may do some light offroading. Nothing crazy as the truck is my DD and I don't want to get mud tires that would be expensive, loud, and not last as long. I drive at least 20k miles a year in this truck.

I did find some wheels that would look good I think, with a backspacing that won't stick out too far after the adapters :biggrin:

Black Rock 942686050 Black Rock 942-Series Type D Wheels

I'll have to measure and see if the center bore of that wheel is too large for the spare's winch.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1) You can limp home in 2WD with a funny spare like that. :thumbsup:

2) Assuming you're in a position that you don't need the ground clearance and traction of a proper MT tire of the same size to even get BACK to pavement. :undecided:

3) I spend $250-290 on each of mine, so $150 is some sort of compromise tire. You might not get stuck if you don't put yourself in harm's way. :no:

4) Tires are meant to be rotated. Get 5. They're not too expensive......:biggrin:

5) Mount it on a swing-away carrier like the Hitch-Gate, a Curt receiver-mounted carrier, or on the roof. A decent sized offroad tire is not going to fit under the truck, and that's a horrible location to get out when you need it. :redface:

6) When I was out of work and light in the pocket, I paid $20 for a used spare. And $15 for a steel rim. Hid the thing under a Trasharoo and wasn't embarrassed. I now have six thin tread used 285/75-16s lying around. :crazy:

7) Get a tire plug kit and you might be able to defer a good patch repair until you get off the trail after a tread puncture. Won't help sidewall punctures, but it's a start. Also carry a compressor like the MV50 to refill a plugged tire. :wootwoot:

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Sparky said:
I'll have to measure and see if the center bore of that wheel is too large for the spare's winch.

I'd be more worried about the overall diameter of the tire, and if it'll be able to fit in that area. Not to mention, stuffing a tire back up under there is a way to take away from ground clearence. Most opt to haul their spare on top, in a rack. Others like to get a rear hitch mount spare carrier.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
I'm seriously considering lifting my truck later this year when I get new tires. Might as well right? :biggrin:

But what about the spare?

Is a stock size spare too small to use as a "donut" spare on the front while in 2WD mode to limp home on?

Part of me would hate to buy a $150+ tire (and another $90 wheel if I go aftermarket wheels) just to throw under the truck and never use, if the stock spare would work. If the stock spare is far too short then fine, but thought I'd check first.

Maybe I can find a used 265/75/16 tire for the spare to help offset the cost. Anyone got one of those lying around? :biggrin:
I might have one, but would cost more in fuel or delivery than it would to just find one local.

As said, you can limp home on a different size, but put it on the front if you have a g80.

Conner299 said:
What happens when you blow a tire on the trail, still need 4wd, and your spare is undersized. I would just get the full size spare, and work it in with a 5 tire rotation, as compared to a 4 tire rotation. A cheap used tire would work as well, I'd just keep it the same size as the tires you'll be getting.
You can still limp off the trail in 4x4 if the different size is on front, but try not to go hard.

Sparky said:
Good point. I've never gone offroad but if I get the lift I very well may do some light offroading. Nothing crazy as the truck is my DD and I don't want to get mud tires that would be expensive, loud, and not last as long. I drive at least 20k miles a year in this truck.

I did find some wheels that would look good I think, with a backspacing that won't stick out too far after the adapters :biggrin:

Black Rock 942686050 Black Rock 942-Series Type D Wheels

I drive 20K a year and used to do 30K a year and only ride mucd tires. Many of the smaller sizes will last 40 or 50 K these days. My xtreme MT pro comps had 30K when I sold them and now have another 20K by another member and still have good tread.

For the same money you can get Ion Alloy aluminum rims or similar that do not look like spares and are lighter, thus helping wear and mpg.

the roadie said:
1) You can limp home in 2WD with a funny spare like that. :thumbsup:

2) Assuming you're in a position that you don't need the ground clearance and traction of a proper MT tire of the same size to even get BACK to pavement. :undecided:

3) I spend $250-290 on each of mine, so $150 is some sort of compromise tire. You might not get stuck if you don't put yourself in harm's way. :no:

4) Tires are meant to be rotated. Get 5. They're not too expensive......:biggrin:

5) Mount it on a swing-away carrier like the Hitch-Gate, a Curt receiver-mounted carrier, or on the roof. A decent sized offroad tire is not going to fit under the truck, and that's a horrible location to get out when you need it. :redface:

6) When I was out of work and light in the pocket, I paid $20 for a used spare. And $15 for a steel rim. Hid the thing under a Trasharoo and wasn't embarrassed. I now have six thin tread used 285/75-16s lying around. :crazy:

7) Get a tire plug kit and you might be able to defer a good patch repair until you get off the trail after a tread puncture. Won't help sidewall punctures, but it's a start. Also carry a compressor like the MV50 to refill a plugged tire. :wootwoot:

1. Agreed.
2. I carried a 285 for awhile with 315s. If you are close you should be ok. Plus if you are prepared, you have a winch or Hi-Lift to help through any sticky situations.
3. Looking like $300 plus a tire for this round, but I know I will NOT compromise and buy Treadwright bullshit again. Cheap tires for a reason and will end up costing me more than if I had ponied up the first time for good tires.
4. I only do a 4 tire rotation as I have never been able to find a matching wheel. I would if I could, but do not have any issue with only doing 4 and keeping a non-matching rim, but matched tire on rear.
5. Under the truck does suck for location. I hauled mine inside many times as well as Roadie's ideas. I also went without if within say 20 miles of home. Was a calculated risk and I acknowledged it could be a few hour wait if I needed to wait for someone to bring me it. Was worth it at times.
6. Still hide mine under trasharoo, but if anyone has a spot for a trasharoo. BUY ONE. Love mine and several people have bought after using mine.
7. I have seen 5 or 6 plugs stuffed in a sidewall work to get off a trail. Buy a good kit and extra plugs and know how to use it. Dont buy a cheap compressor either. The MV50 is about the smallest to really do a truck sized tire.

edit: And to answer the question of the thread...I have mine mounted on the rear bumper via a swing away. Expensive but best way I have had it yet. Also did the roof mount, interior mount, gone without, and hitch mount via folder.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The undercarriage spare tire location would only be for when on street. If I would go off road I'd throw it in the back to regain the ground clearance.

I don't plan on doing any heavy offroading anyway. Since this is my DD I don't want to deck it out for offroading too much and lose too much mpg and such. I was looking to stay with Firestone Destination A/T tires again, just larger, since my current ones have served me well and they are also pretty inexpensive at $140-ish each.

I have a relatively tight budget so trying to keep things a little more simple. Keep myself out of trouble :wink: My truck also does not have a locker so that is something else I have to keep in mind if I go out on the trail.

I'll look at other wheels also but again due to budget I don't want to spend too much. But if those steel wheels would be heavier enough to impact mpg more then I'll have to keep that in consideration.

*edit* Found another style Black Rock that looks better. 33 pounds shipping weight each. Not sure how they compare to other wheels (or stock wheels for that matter).
http://www.jegs.com/i/Black-Rock/262/950676040/10002/-1

*edit2* Does anyone know for sure how heavy the stock 16" wheels are? Quick google gave me anywhere between 30 and 42 pounds shipping weight (so actual weight is...?) Just trying to compare.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
16" x7 ion Alloy Style 71 Machined 6x5 5 w 8 Et 71 6783 Wheels Rims | eBay

I see them for about 350 a set for a couple basic styles on CL around here through a place on the Westside. But those are free shipping and best offer.

If you like the Firestones and they work for your use...go with them. Look for stock full size pickup takeoffs too. You can score them cheap and could get some wheels at the same time.

Basic 2.5 lift from Mark, some nice AT's, cheap wheels, and adaptors. Bout all you need other than recovery items and such for when you do turn off pavement.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
In the same vein, what do guys with 20 inch SS wheels and normal street tires do for a spare ?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
xtitan1 said:
In the same vein, what do guys with 20 inch SS wheels and normal street tires do for a spare ?

Stock spare. Basically same diameter.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
if you want a same size spare, i would check the local garages that do tire repair.
you should be able to pick up a decent used tire for $40.00 -50.00.
thats what i did early on for my winter set. :twocents:

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Good idea, there is a shop down the street that I could probably pick something up from.

I realized that the wheels I'm looking at have a hub bore of 4.28" (108.7 mm), while the stock hub bore is 3.08" (78.3 mm) I believe. Thought about hub rings, but then the adapters are probably not even hub centric anyway. I guess I'd have to be really careful when mounting them so as to get them properly centered. Vibrations would be rather annoying.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to just use hubcentric spacers and use stock wheels. Would be cheaper and a little more idiot proof lol. Then part of me says go the cheapest and stay with stock but that's no fun.

I'm going to have to do some measuring and visualize how these wheels would look, how far out they would mount with the offset + adapters, etc. Also need to come up with an idea for the spare storage. Would be really handy to still be able to stuff it under the truck for street storage, but there is no way that winch would hold a much larger center bore wheel.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Last thing I'm still looking for is stock 16" wheel weight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online