Walker Exhaust?

eightshot627

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Anyone replace their exhaust with Walker?

I suspect my cat is getting clogged and I have a hole between the muffler and the resinator so replacing the whole thing sounds like the best plan.

Cat, muffler and resinator shipped to my door is a little over $400. I got 2 quotes from local shops one was $1000 the other $1200 so $400 seems like a deal.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
The walker muffler is suppose to be not so good on these trucks. Apparently it reduces in size on the inside. Very restrictive compared to the OEM muffler. Seems odd for walker I've always had good luck in he past with them. That's what quite a few people here have said though. Seems the OEM muffler is the best choice. At least for not sounding like a soup can rice job. Lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Searching for Walker brought up several threads with peoples comments on them if you want to take a quick look instead of waiting for a response

Reactions: Blckshdw

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The Walker quiet flow I had was restrictive, there is another walker, not sure of the model that wasn't as restrictive.

Stock will likely flow the best.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
gmcman said:
The Walker quiet flow I had was restrictive, there is another walker, not sure of the model that wasn't as restrictive.

Stock will likely flow the best.
Quiet flow is their top of the line OE (Supposedly) replacement. The sound fx is their cheaper line.

OEM part #12479984 for the muffler. Expensive little bugger.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I cant link it right now but I did a write up on the quiet flow, chokes the exhaust down about an inch from stock. It's quiet, but I lost mpgs right off the bat, went back to stock.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
A shop is normally the cheapest route. What did you ask of them that made them quote you $1200? All you need is a cat, muffler, tip, and the piping in between which they can custom make.

Iirc you can get a cat online for under $200 that is a direct bolt on replacement, if you don't live in a state/province that is governed on inspections then you could totally omit the cat and have it replaced with a pipe then do the spark plug non fouler trick to trick the o2 sensor. Then you could probably pick out a muffler and tip that you like online and just take everything to them and let them piece it together.

Shouldn't be more than $600 for the whole deal on the high side. At least at the shop I use.

-Here's the link to gmcman's thread:

http://gmtnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8397-Just-installed-Walker-Quiet-Flow-SS-exhaust...

eightshot627

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks all I did some more reading. I was afraid of loosing mpg. The shop that quoted $1200 was $450 for the cat and I lost interest real quick after that. Looks like I will have to visit a few more shops.

Thanks,
Walt

eightshot627

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I had "proactively" replaced my thermostat when I replaced my water pump and in my search for where my fuel mileage went I found that the engine never got above 174 degrees on my scan tool. I ran that thermostat for 25k before I found that, the dash guage looked ok. Replaced it again and now the temperature is good. Never a check engine light.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Mounce said:
Thanks.

What I would recommend is to keep the factory exhaust back to the tailpipe/resonator, then cut the resonator off and install either a straight pipe or resonator of your choice for appearance. The factory muffler and piping is pretty much the least restrictive you are going to get.

When I finally hack my resonator off, I was thinking on going with this mainly for appearance and to keep the noise down during cruise.

Edited...I linked the wrong pieces, these are what I was looking at.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1141

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gib-500361

Reactions: Eric04

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mounce said:
A shop is normally the cheapest route. What did you ask of them that made them quote you $1200? All you need is a cat, muffler, tip, and the piping in between which they can custom make.

Iirc you can get a cat online for under $200 that is a direct bolt on replacement, if you don't live in a state/province that is governed on inspections then you could totally omit the cat and have it replaced with a pipe then do the spark plug non fouler trick to trick the o2 sensor. Then you could probably pick out a muffler and tip that you like online and just take everything to them and let them piece it together.

Shouldn't be more than $600 for the whole deal on the high side. At least at the shop I use.

-Here's the link to gmcman's thread:

http://gmtnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8397-Just-installed-Walker-Quiet-Flow-SS-exhaust...
A muffler shop will not remove a catalytic converter or gut it. In fact it is even illegal to install a used one by federal law. If they were to get caught doing that it is punishable by hefty fine and jail time.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
BlazingTrails said:
A muffler shop will not remove a catalytic converter or gut it. In fact it is even illegal to install a used one by federal law. If they were to get caught doing that it is punishable by hefty fine and jail time.
+1 In Ohio it used to be EPA fines started at $10K for that. Might be more now. Plus it was a 1st degree misdemeanor=Up to 6months jail and $1k fine.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

eightshot627

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
If the stock exhaust flows well and it is 2.75 inch then why is the replacement everything 2.5 inch? Even the Magnaflo di cat is 2.5.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
BlazingTrails said:
Oh how I miss the days of cheap converter "test pipes." These days you're best off replacing them despite the cost. Fortunately it's not something that goes bad often.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Eric04 said:
Oh how I miss the days of cheap converter "test pipes." These days you're best off replacing them despite the cost. Fortunately it's not something that goes bad often.
Damn! Test pipes? You must be as old as I am lol. Haven't seen one since the mid-eighties.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
That was back when catalytic converters bolted into the exhaust system. "Test pipe" was code word for "fk emissions I'll put the cat back in when it's time to test." I think they caught on to that and took away our flanges. :no:

:rotfl:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
BlazingTrails said:
The shop my brother and I use will do it but he don't have a big company or anything and does exhaust work in his shop as a side job so he's likely not being watched by the feds. Heard about a shop giving a friend some shit about cutting his out but done it anyways lol.

But I completely understand their predicament and honestly didn't even know that they weren't allowed to do that. Thanks for the enlightenment. :tiphat:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
hawkeye405 said:
Thought it would improve performance.

Thanks
Unless you port and polish the head, get a header, remove the cat, and get a pretty aggressive tune you will never see a difference with the 2.5" pipe or adding dual cat back exhaust. In fact the added weight would likely negate any HP gains.

If you want some decent gains (20-30hp) just get a higher flow muffler (magnaflow 40 series?) and a tune, that will be the best bang for your buck.

hawkeye405

Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
BlazingTrails said:
Unless you port and polish the head, get a header, remove the cat, and get a pretty aggressive tune you will never see a difference with the 2.5" pipe or adding dual cat back exhaust. In fact the added weight would likely negate any HP gains.

If you want some decent gains (20-30hp) just get a higher flow muffler (magnaflow 40 series?) and a tune, that will be the best bang for your buck.
Thanks, I'll try that. I'll have to go by this muffler place that only does exhausts and see if he can give me a good price.

sirjr

Oct 2, 2013
Orlando, Florida
My son owns a 2005, 4.2L, 4WD. The tailpipe exiting the resonator rotted off. The rest of the exhaust system is intact. I am able to purchase an exhaust resonator and pipe assembly from my local NAPA parts store, as we just want to replace the deteriorated section. Is this able to be replaced by jacking up the vehicle, resting on jack stands or does the vehicle have to be put on a lift? Any helpful information will be appreciated as we would like to do this job while he is home for Christmas.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
it would be easier on a lift. if you don't mind laying on your back, i believe it can be done.
how good are your welding skills?
i deleted the resonator with in 500 miles of buying mine.
alot of members do the res. delete. do some searching on the site here.
to save some money, cut the res. off just before the inlet, and get a long enough tail pipe to exit out the back. or out the side as some have done. some have even just thrown a turn down on where the resonator use to be. :twocents:
edit: check out this thread. post # 28 gives you size you need w/out resonator.
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/exhaust-options.10453/#post-256384

Last edited:

sirjr

Oct 2, 2013
Orlando, Florida
it would be easier on a lift. if you don't mind laying on your back, i believe it can be done.
how good are your welding skills?
i deleted the resonator with in 500 miles of buying mine.
alot of members do the res. delete. do some searching on the site here.
to save some money, cut the res. off just before the inlet, and get a long enough tail pipe to exit out the back. or out the side as some have done. some have even just thrown a turn down on where the resonator use to be. :twocents:
edit: check out this thread. post # 28 gives you size you need w/out resonator.
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/exhaust-options.10453/#post-256384
Thanks so much for this information and the link to post #28. I was searching the site for specific information without success, so thanks for pointing this out to me. I'm going to see if I can get pictures from "dmanns67" regarding post #28. My son will be visiting for Christmas, so I can have the parts ready and know what it looks like before he arrives. I would rather do it this way as it would be much less of an ordeal than installing the exhaust pipe over the axle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online