Two Weeks, and a Thousand Miles.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, as some of you may know (if you follow me on Instagram), I purchased a $500 car to use as my daily.
Yes, that's right. A $500, 15k mile a year...daily driver. Purchased from a little old lady, in a small town in Western Massachusetts. It has been

I purchased this car for two reasons, the Saablazer has 174,000 miles on it. 84,000 of those miles have been done, by me since 4th of July weekend 2015. Yup, I've driven 84,000 miles in less than two calendar years. The truck is tired. I tow with it and it needs some serious loving to be perfect. The other big reason is that between my weekend getaway in New Hampshire and my frequent trips into the city of Boston, a smaller car makes more sense, and the fuel will be much cheaper.

It's about 30 shades of blue with 50,000 dents , it has heated leather, twill OEM floor mats, AM/FM CD with Cassette and a sunroof.
The leather is in VERY good condition for this car's age.
It needs an ABS computer and will be due for a timing belt before 210k.

SURPRISE, it's a Volvo wagon.
18519355_1942986949253996_904332730_o.jpg

Don't worry, I'll be here for the forseeable future and the 9-7x and the wagon will be along for the ride.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So, as some of you may know (if you follow me on Instagram), I purchased a $500 car to use as my daily.
Yes, that's right. A $500, 15k mile a year...daily driver. Purchased from a little old lady, in a small town in Western Massachusetts. It has been

I purchased this car for two reasons, the Saablazer has 174,000 miles on it. 84,000 of those miles have been done, by me since 4th of July weekend 2015. Yup, I've driven 84,000 miles in less than two calendar years. The truck is tired. I tow with it and it needs some serious loving to be perfect. The other big reason is that between my weekend getaway in New Hampshire and my frequent trips into the city of Boston, a smaller car makes more sense, and the fuel will be much cheaper.

It's about 30 shades of blue with 50,000 dents , it has heated leather, twill OEM floor mats, AM/FM CD with Cassette and a sunroof.
The leather is in VERY good condition for this car's age.
It needs an ABS computer and will be due for a timing belt before 210k.

SURPRISE, it's a Volvo wagon.
View attachment 81106

Don't worry, I'll be here for the forseeable future and the 9-7x and the wagon will be along for the ride.
Volvo's are fantastic cars. You can run them into the ground. I've been looking for a cheap, decently shaped Volvo 240 Wagon. Can't believe you snagged that one for so cheap, kudos man.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I hate the Volvos in my boat but that's another story. Those there wagons of that era run pretty much forever.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Suggestion, do not delay on changing the timing belt! My sister had a 1984 Volvo 240 I if I recall right it said to change it at 80,000 miles. She had purchased the car new and was not abusive to it in any way. My little sis always kept her cars well maintained, but on her way home from work around midnight from Lockheed Martin I get a call. The Volvo died. The odometer showed 80,300 miles and the timing belt broke or jumped a gear (I don't recall exactly) but a three hundred mile "fudge factor" for replacing, wow. I replaced it on the side of the road without any problems, but not much fudge factor built into the belt. Don't risk a motor failure on waiting to do a service call.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Good price for sure and actually looks/sounds to be pretty decent.

I imagine it'll need re-sealed unless she had it done recently. The ones I see around here leak like a sieve lol. Will definitely need combed over but I figure you've got that handled from what I see ya post around here.

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As long as it's not a Miata, no judgement here. Cheaper on gas and run like tanks (with drivers to match), they're good cars.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Believe it or not, 240s go for the same as a clean first year TB/Voy up here.
My dad had a 350,000 mile 740 sedan when I was a kid, thing is still moving, too.

As for Penta Boat Motors, I agree. They're eh.

But I do foresee having this car for a good amount of time. It's comfortable as hell and it rides awesome.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
......those tail lights are freaking me out :yikes::yikes::yikes:.....

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
But I mean honestly, it's a $500 car. If it breaks in half or a cook the engine or tranny, I park it and find a cheap junkyard unit to swap or I scrap it.
That's why I bought it, I'm not really interested in making it better. Just driving it.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
But I mean honestly, it's a $500 car. If it breaks in half or a cook the engine or tranny, I park it and find a cheap junkyard unit to swap or I scrap it.
That's why I bought it, I'm not really interested in making it better. Just driving it.
I wouldn't be able to own a vehicle without modding it... lol. Even if I owned a tiny scooter, i'd have to mod it.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online