TreadWright Choices!

MixMastaMM

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I'm going to need new shoes for the TB soon. I have been looking at the TreadWright site and cannot pick between the Sentinel B2B, Claw B2b or Warden in 285/75 R16. Can anyone give any longer range feed back on the Sentinel or Warden? Is going with the B2B remold going to improve the life of the tire?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am also looking into treadright, but the tire sizes I am looking for, they have been out of stock on for months. What gives?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I am also looking into treadright, but the tire sizes I am looking for, they have been out of stock on for months. What gives?

Brian,

Are you looking at the 245/65 17? I'm having the same trouble with that size.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I'd be inclined to try the claw out the max trac after having the guard dogs for awhile. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the tires and on the few occasions there is treadwright takes care of it pretty quickly.

I guess one of the considerations would be " what are you doing with the tire?" without that info it's hard to give any advice

treadwright runs out occasionally while they wait for shipments of carcasses, it happens

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Wow, those 255/75/17 Guard Dog's look damn good, and the price is cheaper than a USED set of BFG MTs.... Hmmmmm

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I'm in the middle of a slight warranty conflict with them at the moment. Waiting to see how it turns out.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Matt said:
Brian,

Are you looking at the 245/65 17? I'm having the same trouble with that size.

Yeap.. Want to get a stock size. Not going that far off road yet.. not without a lift, running board removal, rims, etc.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Yeap.. Want to get a stock size. Not going that far off road yet.. not without a lift, running board removal, rims, etc.

It's a pity they only make one type of tyre in that size. You could always ring them. They actually say in their FAQ:
When I try to order online the computer tells me there are not enough in stock. What can I do to order the tires?

Some sizes, due to their popularity and/or limited casing availability, are not in stock online very often. If there is a size and tread design that you are interested in and it shows as not being in stock, it may still be possible to call your order in at 877-439-0759 and be placed on the back order list. The sales representative that takes your order will be able to give you an approximate time frame when your tires may be expected to ship.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
With the BtB thing they are doing you may end up with different sidewall plies. They specifically told they could not ensure a 2 or3 ply sidwal, but only "at least 2 ply". Not a minor detail I could overlook.

I started as a huge fan of Treadwright, but after owning a set, dealing with my identity being stolen through them, warranty issues, poor customer service, long wait times, other peoples stories of them, and now following fishsticks saga....I will never own another set. Hell even a coupe months after I got mine, I regretted it. I honestly feel they are cheap for a reason. Some people have good luck, but I am moving in another direction.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Interesting, and disappointing. I've heard a lot of good stuff too :frown:

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:
Interesting, and disappointing. I've heard a lot of good stuff too :frown:

I'm still holding out to see what TW does with my warranty claim. A 15000ish mile tire broke a belt and they are trying to tell me that's not warrantable.

If they come through with a pro-rate tire I'll buy another set for my new truck, otherwise it's looking like Grabbers.

Their prices (for the sizes we are interested in) have been steadily increasing the last couple years, and so the margin of savings over new is shrinking.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
fishsticks said:
I'm still holding out to see what TW does with my warranty claim. A 15000ish mile tire broke a belt and they are trying to tell me that's not warrantable.

If they come through with a pro-rate tire I'll buy another set for my new truck, otherwise it's looking like Grabbers.

Their prices (for the sizes we are interested in) have been steadily increasing the last couple years, and so the margin of savings over new is shrinking.

Between you and hardtrailz it looks like I will never use them for tires. On the other hand Grabbers :thumbsup:, will most likely be my go to tire from now on.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
fishsticks said:
I'll admit, I'm a sucker for the red lettering.

I was at first, but they are heavy and not seen much on how they do in mud. Seems mostly desert and such use in reviews. Seen anything on the wet/muddy capabilities?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
In the interest of full disclosure, here... The identity thing is because Kyle got a PM from a guy asking him some questions about date codes to see how old the tires were, and used the date codes and Kyle's name to try and get a warranty set out of TW.

Donny, those are the ones on your TB, right? Not even new tire mfgs have any warranty on a tire after you've aired down and wheeled it, and TW says specifically that they don't warranty that.

TW, to me, seems to be about as helpful and have as good of customer service as any company I've delt with. Having said that, if you're putting new tires on something to get a few miles out of them and sell it with "newish" tires, or if it's on something that you don't put a lot of miles on, and the tires will be cracked and done before the tread is near worn out, TW is the way to go. The rubber is really soft on them, so if you run tires from start to finish, the relitively few miles that they last really works out to about the same cost/mile as new tires. I don't regret them on my CTD, because it doesn't get a lot of miles, but I don't know that I'd put them on something I drive a lot, unless I didn't plan on keeping it forever. Having said that, since they are pretty soft, I have to rotate them a lot on the CTD, or they scallop from towing.

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
In the interest of full disclosure, here... The identity thing is because Kyle got a PM from a guy asking him some questions about date codes to see how old the tires were, and used the date codes and Kyle's name to try and get a warranty set out of TW.

They shared my phone number and address with him as well. Only way I found out was to get a shipping confirmation going to a different out of state address, but with my info still on the original reciept. Luckily the did not have my full CC number or I coulda been a lot worse off. After dealing with treadwright on the issue, they were going to change the warranty procedure, but I have not had to use it again. They did not do anything, but apologize for the inconvienence.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
They shared my phone number and address with him as well. Only way I found out was to get a shipping confirmation going to a different out of state address, but with my info still on the original reciept. Luckily the did not have my full CC number or I coulda been a lot worse off. After dealing with treadwright on the issue, they were going to change the warranty procedure, but I have not had to use it again. They did not do anything, but apologize for the inconvienence.

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought they just sent you the receipt, and only that had your info on it, so I thought he never got it. Seemed like they played it pretty fast and loose on the warranty, given that it was getting shipped to somebody who wasn't you.

Mike

MixMastaMM

Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Bartonmd said:
TW, to me, seems to be about as helpful and have as good of customer service as any company I've delt with. Having said that, if you're putting new tires on something to get a few miles out of them and sell it with "newish" tires, or if it's on something that you don't put a lot of miles on, and the tires will be cracked and done before the tread is near worn out, TW is the way to go. The rubber is really soft on them, so if you run tires from start to finish, the relitively few miles that they last really works out to about the same cost/mile as new tires. I don't regret them on my CTD, because it doesn't get a lot of miles, but I don't know that I'd put them on something I drive a lot, unless I didn't plan on keeping it forever. Having said that, since they are pretty soft, I have to rotate them a lot on the CTD, or they scallop from towing.

This is what I was looking for. I'm hoping to hold on the TB for another 3 to 4 years. Sounds like TW is not going to be my choice now! Thanks!

HARDTRAILZ said:
With the BtB thing they are doing you may end up with different sidewall plies. They specifically told they could not ensure a 2 or3 ply sidwal, but only "at least 2 ply". Not a minor detail I could overlook.

I started as a huge fan of Treadwright, but after owning a set, dealing with my identity being stolen through them, warranty issues, poor customer service, long wait times, other peoples stories of them, and now following fishsticks saga....I will never own another set. Hell even a coupe months after I got mine, I regretted it. I honestly feel they are cheap for a reason. Some people have good luck, but I am moving in another direction.

I did not notice the sidewall deal on the B2B. That is a huge bummer they don't track the carcass a bit better. The warranty issue also turns me away.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The tires were in transit to him and they had to stop shipment to reroute them back to themselves.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Donny, those are the ones on your TB, right? Not even new tire mfgs have any warranty on a tire after you've aired down and wheeled it, and TW says specifically that they don't warranty that.

Tell that to Interco. :raspberry: At any rate, most if not all of my 2011 TB wheeling was done on a worn out set of BFG ATs. I got the TWs in June of 2011 and traded for my crawler in Nov of 2011. These tires haven't seen much more than gravel roads or snow since, and I don't bother airing down for that. The last Brown's Camp in the TB (where I broke the steering) was done at street pressure since my OBA was down. Since the lockers, the TB has never really wanted for traction. It has too much in fact (breakage).

No reply so far to my last email. Either I should feel bad for a horribly understaffed warranty claims department, or they are hoping I'll go away if they ignore me. The TB goes to its new owner next week, and I refuse to give it to them without 5 good tires. Time to search CL for a good spare I suppose.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I know when Moots over on offroadtb needed to use the warranty it took them over a week before he got any resolute answer and he had to call multiple times. He ended up getting a replacement tire sent to him (the original wouldn't balance) and was taken care of, but I was a little surprised at the time it took.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Officially threw in the towel on dealing with Treadwright today and bought a different brand tire.

3 weeks of being ignored is too much. They just lost business from me on my new project, my buddy on his newly (yesterday) lifted Jeep, and another friend (upsizing) also. Figured I'd let the GMTN crowd know as well.

IMO, don't bother.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
fishsticks said:
Officially threw in the towel on dealing with Treadwright today and bought a different brand tire.

3 weeks of being ignored is too much. They just lost business from me on my new project, my buddy on his newly (yesterday) lifted Jeep, and another friend (upsizing) also. Figured I'd let the GMTN crowd know as well.

IMO, don't bother.

Well they lost my Business! Had em lined up casue they were a Legit 32" tall. Oh well...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online