Tow Mirrors Installed

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I am just showing off my tow mirror install because I think it looks pretty sweet.
I had to drill new holes in the door and find some rubber to fill the gap, I think I will find something better but in the meantime I think it'll do. The wiring all works, turn signals, up, down, left, right, and heat.

Attachments

• IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0254.jpg
    IMAG0254.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0256.jpg
    IMAG0256.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:offtopic: I love the grille setup, I want to do something similar to that, with the Spec-D grille as the main portion.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Thanks, I may of over done it with the chrome tho.
Its just a regular LT grille, then I hacked up a grille to fill the head lights.
Looks alright.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
aaronbtb said:
Thanks, I may of over done it with the chrome tho.
:poke: I wasn't gonna say it... :raspberry:

aaronbtb said:
Its just a regular LT grille, then I hacked up a grille to fill the head lights.
Yeah, I picked up a spare cross bar a while ago. Need to get an LT bumper and the other style grille and I'll be ready for some modding. (whenever that'll be) :rolleyes:

How's the weather sealing on those things, no water getting in the door I hope. Would really suck if you started rusting from the inside out.

Reactions: Sib and dmanns67

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I used the foam that came with the mirrors, I also put silicon on the door before I put the mirror on, so I sure hope its water tight. I'll take it to the car wash tomorrow then remove the door panel again to check.

Reactions: Capote

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Holy chrome :eek: :raspberry:

I do like the grille setup. Never seen anyone customize their grille like that. Is that supposed to be a turn signal or side maker light on the side of the mirror?

Reactions: Mounce

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
The glass and side lights of the mirror are wired together. So they are both a turn signal.
I wanted to use the glass leds for the turn, and the corner leds as a side marker, but I didn't wanna break the mirror opening it

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Interesting, never seen anyone add some tow mirrors on their rig before. Kudos man

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Interesting mod. When I went from the S series Jimmy to the TB, I found the mirrors pathetically small.

Where or what truck are these mirrors from?

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
03 to 07 sierra/silverado
I bought them off ebay

I should of bought some genuine GM mirrors, the passenger mirror shakes on the highway, its really annoying. After checking some sierra forums, its very common for aftermarket mirrors to shake.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
aaronbtb said:
03 to 07 sierra/silverado
I bought them off ebay

I should of bought some genuine GM mirrors, the passenger mirror shakes on the highway, its really annoying. After checking some sierra forums, its very common for aftermarket mirrors to shake.
Yeah no matter what kind of vehicle it is, I've never heard of aftermarket mirrors not rattling or loosening lol

Reactions: Blckshdw

68impalacp

Jul 20, 2013
I don't know if Kuchar09 is still around anymore but he was the first to upgrade to the 03-07 tow mirrors. I know another guy on Offroadtb used the big Silverado stock mirrors as well. I've also done the upgrade as well as a guy on Offroadtb and instagram but he didn't wire his up to work.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442193333278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442193333278.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 58

68impalacp

Jul 20, 2013
aaronbtb said:
The wiring was the easiest part
The kid that skipped out on the wiring told me his were just for looks. He later asked me how I wired mine. The only issue I ran into was I grounded out one of my power wires while tighting everything down. Also if you get the vinyl floor molding you can cut it to fill that gap and make it look a lot better. As for fit wise the 03-07 is the best fitting tow mirrors for our platform. Looks good!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Wow black does look even better

Reactions: 68impalacp

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
aaronbtb said:
Yeah black does look better, I may of went overboard on the chrome
If you change your mind, just dip it or paint it

Reactions: 68impalacp

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Capote said:
If you change your mind, just dip it or paint it
Yeah, I was thinking about dipping it, I'll give it a chance for awhile.

68impalacp said:
Thanks
Thanks
Home Depot and it's not that expensive. I believe for a small strip it's like $3 roughly
Do your mirrors shake? Did you use oem or aftermarket?

68impalacp

Jul 20, 2013
aaronbtb said:
Yeah, I was thinking about dipping it, I'll give it a chance for awhile.

Do your mirrors shake? Did you use oem or aftermarket?
My glass shakes, I used coolvue aftermarket style but everyone I've talked to said that's just a side effect from them. Mine doesn't shake bad enough to bother me, but if I'm wheeling it or hitting really hard bumps I notice it. Other then that it's not bad at all.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I found on a sierra forum some guys where saying putting stick-on wheel weights on the bottom of the upper mirror. I'm gonna have to give that a shot

68impalacp

Jul 20, 2013
aaronbtb said:
I found on a sierra forum some guys where saying putting stick-on wheel weights on the bottom of the upper mirror. I'm gonna have to give that a shot
Awesome I'll give that a go as well. We also have stick on foam strips that I'm gonna try should help with the bounce. I didn't think of that. I never really thought anything of it.

Reactions: aaronbtb

68impalacp

Jul 20, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
What do you tow?

I would knock those big mirrors into pieces in a heartbeat. I use the tree-powered folding option far too much as it is.
Anything thing from scrap metal trailer up to my buddies trailers. They do fold in which helps if I need them to, and it's not hard to switch back to stock if need be. Plus the mirrors do help with visibility vs. the stock mirrors.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I guess if someone gave me a set i would bolt them on cause i will try about anything once, but with the several trailers we own and use I have not found myself wanting for more mirror honestly. We have a small box trailer, 7x12 trailer w gate, tandem axle dump, a 20 ft car trailer, and few smaller trailers. I guess if i towed daily and not just weekends i might see more benefit. I always thought our mirrors were decent but I am comparing to mostly older vehicles I owned and towed with.

Knucklehead

Jul 23, 2014
Looks really good man. Minus the chrome. I'm not a fan of chrome.haha. Even my aftermarket tow mirrors on my fullsize jiggle going down the highway. You get use to it.

Did you just cut off your old plug and adapt it to your new mirrors? If so got a picture of what wired go where?

I did this mod with a stock fullsize mirrors but haven't did my wiring yet. Haha. Haven't had time to sit there and figure the wires out yet.

I can't stand the little stock mirrors.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I cut the plug off my old mirrors
This is how I wired mine, I recommend testing your setup first.

Drivers Trailblazer plug----------------New mirrors
2a White/red--------Memory-----N/A
3a Green-----Turn signal(-)------Brown/white (Blue plug)
4a Purple----------Memory-------N/A
5a Blue----------Memory----------N/A
6a Grey----------Memory---------N/A
7a White----Turn signal(+)------Gray/black (Blue plug)
8a Brown/black----Auto Dim----N/A
1b Orange---Left/right adjust---Light Blue (Black plug)
3b Black----Heated mirror(-)----Black (Blue plug)
4b Pink-----Up/down Adjust----Light Green (Black plug)
6b Red--Up/down/left/right(-)--Yellow (Black plug)
7b Black---Heated mirror(+)----Orange (Black plug)
8b Black/red------Auto dim------N/A

Passenger Trailblazer plug----------------New mirrors

2a White/red--------Memory-----N/A
3a Green-----Turn signal(-)------Brown/white (Black plug)
4a Purple----------Memory-------N/A
5a Blue----------Memory----------N/A
6a Grey----------Memory---------N/A
7a White----Turn signal(+)------Gray/black (Blue plug)
8a Brown/black----Auto Dim----N/A
1b Orange---Left/right adjust---Red/white (Blue plug)
3b Black----Heated mirror(-)----Black (Blue plug)
4b Pink-----Up/down Adjust----Light Purple/white) (Blue plug)
6b Red--Up/down/left/right(-)--White (Blue plug)
7b Black---Heated mirror(+)----Orange (Blue plug)
8b Black/red------Auto dim------N/A

Attachments

• mirrorconnectorplug.jpg
    mirrorconnectorplug.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online