Tire Discussion.....AGAIN

DetroitSteel88

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I love my envoy. I have never had such a trouble-free vehicle. I absolutely love it.

My front tires are wearing at a very high rate compared to the rear tires. Also, the outside of the tire is wearing significantly more than the inside of the tire. This is true for both the driver and passenger side.

I know that means I need an alignment, but is there anything else it could mean? This is my first 4 wheel drive vehicle.

I am also looking at ONLY replacing the front tires, as the rear tires have approximately 40% tread left.

Now, I am really looking for a tire that will give me the smoothest ride possible. I don't go off-roading, and we only get precipitation around 50 days a year here.
Just looking for some guidance, as my main concern is a SMOOTH ride. A nice, soft, smooth ride.

Thanks so much for all of your help guys, I LOVE ENVOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That just sounds like an alignment problem and that's it. Camber and/or toe. Would probably be a good idea to check out suspension components before the alignment as worn ball joints and such can lead to chewed up tires.

Generally on a 4wd or awd vehicle you want to replace tires in sets of 4 due to the diameter differences. Especially even more so if you switch brands or models as that can introduce even more variance.

Decado

Sep 16, 2013
Have your alignment checked out and adjusted by a reputable shop, it'll be well worth the money you spend on it.

I was running low on tread with my tires but was hoping to make it a few more months... until I picked up a giant bolt in my front passenger tire Friday night on the way home from work. I put the spare on and am going to use that for a few days because my local trusted shop doesn't have the ones I want in stock. I am going to order Firestone Destination LE2's for my Envoy and they should be on by next weekend.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Do you have A4WD turned on?

This mode accelerates tire wear, reduces gas mileage a hair, and most importantly wears out the transfer case clutch pack!

It is highly suggested to use 2HI unless you reach a limited traction scenario, where you should slow down as much as possible (preferably ~20MPH or less) and switch straight to 4HI. Engaging at higher speeds, while possible from the factory, doesn't seem to continue operating in the intended manner over the life of the vehicle and may cause damage.

It is highly suggested to have a matching set of tires on all four wheels. In a situation where 4HI may be necessary, having smaller tires on the front than the back (or the back than the front in the case of replacing the front) can lead to excess wear on the transfer case clutches due to the difference in tire circumferences.

Get an alignment and have the tires rotated, perhaps things can be evened out unless the front ones are too far gone. As for tire recommendation, Goodyear Fortera were on sale when I got mine. Not exactly the smoothest tires (they're M+S rated, so they're not meant to be silk) but they do a bang-up job. I am sure others around here have much better recommendations for your requirements in a tire.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
If they're wearing badly on the insides then most definitely get the ball joints, specifically the uppers, checked out to see it they're worn! An alignment before doing this will be pointless if the parts are actually worn. Jack up the front end where the tires clear the ground, and place your hands at 9 and 3 on the tire and check for any looseness. If there is, then this is usually indicative of a bad tie rod. Place your hands at 12 and 6 next and check for play, play in this direction will be indicative usually of a bad ball joint. Again, get any front end problems you may find fixed BEFORE an alignment!

When replacing the tires, MOST DEFINITELY put the same size tires as you've got on the rear on the front. I loved my Goodyear Forteras, but they wore out way too quickly in my opinion. I just got a new set of Mastercraft Courser HSX tires that have very comparable tread (slightly smoother actually, so it should net a better ride). I've heard good about them, so I'll see how they last.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
DetroitSteel88 said:
Hi guys,

I love my envoy. I have never had such a trouble-free vehicle. I absolutely love it.

My front tires are wearing at a very high rate compared to the rear tires. Also, the outside of the tire is wearing significantly more than the inside of the tire. This is true for both the driver and passenger side.

You of course need an alignment, but more importantly something mechanical is likely to be bad causing those tires to wear down like that. Tie rod, ball joint etc. In my experience with my trailblazer, testing at the 3 and 9 position with hands worded ok with tie rods, but testing 6 and 12 for ball joints never worked. I couldn't move the tire, and the ball joint was bad, I had to use a pry bar to see if I could move the wheel up and down, and watch the ball joint closely. I learned this from my mechanic who does my inspections.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Envoy_04 said:
I loved my Goodyear Forteras, but they wore out way too quickly in my opinion.

I'm going to second that!

It definitely sounds at least like your alignment needs adjustment. I had my Voy's done when I got the Firestone LE2's and paid extra for the lifetime alignment. Just noticed the lovely roads as of late have me slightly pulling to the right. Guess its going in for round two.

Envoy_04 said:
If they're wearing badly on the insides then most definitely get the ball joints, specifically the uppers, checked out to see it they're worn! An alignment before doing this will be pointless if the parts are actually worn. Jack up the front end where the tires clear the ground, and place your hands at 9 and 3 on the tire and check for any looseness. If there is, then this is usually indicative of a bad tie rod. Place your hands at 12 and 6 next and check for play, play in this direction will be indicative usually of a bad ball joint. Again, get any front end problems you may find fixed BEFORE an alignment!

When replacing the tires, MOST DEFINITELY put the same size tires as you've got on the rear on the front. I loved my Goodyear Forteras, but they wore out way too quickly in my opinion. I just got a new set of Mastercraft Courser HSX tires that have very comparable tread (slightly smoother actually, so it should net a better ride). I've heard good about them, so I'll see how they last.

My regular mechanic once told me you have to load the suspension to do this properly. That is get the tire off the ground and put a jack under the lower suspension and crank it up to put the load back. Then you can shake the tire and check the response.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
So far so good with the hankook rho7s I put on the front of mine over the summer. We got a few 4-6" snowfalls this year and they handled it well. Pretty quiet on the highway too.

DetroitSteel88

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

So what do you recommend or how would I go about identifying the softest tires that have the smoothest ride?

Also, what SIZE of tire would provide the smoothest ride? I know 245/65/17 is stock, but I am sure that a 245/70/17 would fit, so would 255's as well.
Any suggestions on the size, guys?
I have the stock chrome or polished aluminum rims that come on fully loaded GMC Envoy's.

I appreciate all of your help, but please help me more with the tires! I am hoping I won't have TOO long of a list of necessary repairs when I take it in.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
DetroitSteel88 said:
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

So what do you recommend or how would I go about identifying the softest tires that have the smoothest ride?

Also, what SIZE of tire would provide the smoothest ride? I know 245/65/17 is stock, but I am sure that a 245/70/17 would fit, so would 255's as well.
Any suggestions on the size, guys?
I have the stock chrome or polished aluminum rims that come on fully loaded GMC Envoy's.

I appreciate all of your help, but please help me more with the tires! I am hoping I won't have TOO long of a list of necessary repairs when I take it in.

The taller tire will be stiffer because it is, usually, designed to take a heavier load. This is not always the case, but comparing each tire's max load rating will give you an idea of how stiff a tire is relative to another and to what you have presently. Tirerack is a great resource to disect a lot of information on individual tires together. A softer tire will flex more under load because of a lower rating.

Keep in my the rest of your suspension also plays a role in "stiffness". Air psi is another important factor.

:twocents:

There is a thread on offroadtb somewhere on tire size fitments. Bigger is always better right?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I really recommend Falken Rocky Mountain, also sold as Falken Wild Peak. They are really quiet, have not made my ride any more harsh, and they are still a AT tire. Its all about the tread design. Getting mid 18's on fuel mileage.

These are the tires I got..

[EBAY]191096688301[/EBAY]

Sold by Discount Tire, and they have a location in Prescott Arizona.

http://www.discounttire.com/storelocations/Prescott-AZ.html

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
Another vote for Firestone Destination LEs. They were redesigned a year ago, and are a very smooth, quiet highway tire. I have a set on our TB EXT.

If you are changing size from what your rears are, that's a no-no unless you never use 4WD, unless you only use it is very slippery situations, like ice or mud.

If only putting on 2 tires, the best place is on the rear, with the lower tread used tires moved to the front. So when you go around a slippery corner, you don't get mad oversteer and slide off the road hitting the (tree, pole, ditch whatever). This is for any vehicle, FWD, RWD, AWD, and has been the standard for 15 years but people still don't understand why. Take a drive on a wet road, push your vehicle a bit thru the corner, and the tail will come around quickly with your new tires on the front and your worn tires on the back, especially if your worn tires are 50% or more worn out. Called oversteer, and you don't want it for normal driving.

Reactions: Chickenhawk

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I have seen great results with the new versions of the Firestone Destination tires. I'm running the AT version on our 03 model and really like them, but we get a LOT of weather compared to the OP on this thread. The LE version would be better for him.

I've also seen decent ride with Pirrelli Scorpions.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Make sure with whatever tires you get that you do regular rotations so you dont wind up in this predicament again.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
DetroitSteel88 said:
Hi guys,

I know that means I need an alignment, but is there anything else it could mean? This is my first 4 wheel drive vehicle.

I am also looking at ONLY replacing the front tires, as the rear tires have approximately 40% tread left.

Now, I am really looking for a tire that will give me the smoothest ride possible. I don't go off-roading, and we only get precipitation around 50 days a year here.
Just looking for some guidance, as my main concern is a SMOOTH ride. A nice, soft, smooth ride.

Thanks so much for all of your help guys, I LOVE ENVOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wearing fast on the outside can also mean you are cornering more often and possibly at higher speeds than the average driver and you need to rotate your tires more often to keep them even.

If the truck drives straight and true with the steering wheel straight and no pulling, and a pre-alignment check of the numbers show it is within specs, this may be your problem.

If the alignment is out of spec, the shop must check for loose parts before they attempt to bring it in spec. Most of the time worn parts will cause the inside edges of the front tire(s) to wear faster. If it was knocked out of alignment by a curb or something similar the wear may be what you are describing possibly combined with not tracking straight.

Also, I have Goodyear Forteras and love them, getting good life out of them sofar.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Make sure with whatever tires you get that you do regular rotations so you dont wind up in this predicament again.

Bingo.

OP, how often do you rotate your tires? Outside wear on the front is perfectly normal and is noticeable especially if you start pushing over 5K on rotation intervals. Granted if excessive I would surely suggest an alignment but depends on your rotation frequency.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
gmcman said:
Bingo.

OP, how often do you rotate your tires? Outside wear on the front is perfectly normal and is noticeable especially if you start pushing over 5K on rotation intervals. Granted if excessive I would surely suggest an alignment but depends on your rotation frequency.

Considering also that those are the wheel that get turned with the steering which provides a little extra wear here and there (especially if you're doing it while stopped for whatever reason), the brake bias being toward the front as is the common setup.... yeah, tire rotation becomes more and more and more tantalizing. And with some basic lifting tools (jack and stands), and at minimum a tire iron (free with truck, but torque wrench recommended), doing regular rotation yourself is absolutely F R E E!

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
If you're over 120k miles without new ball joints, and upper/lower control arm bushings, an alignment may not prevent bad wear with new tires. Assume same for shocks/struts. I wasted $$ on tires by not taking care of this first. After....near perfect wear. Really like the Goodrich Long Trail T/A's. Holding up well to Florida heat and roadway water from our massive rainfall during summer months.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I agree with floridafitz, a worn out suspension can lead to quickly worn out tires, I wore a new set out in a year more or less. The clunking or rattling you hear over bumps is your trailblazer telling you it needs some TLC...

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
floridafitz said:
If you're over 120k miles without new ball joints, and upper/lower control arm bushings, an alignment may not prevent bad wear with new tires. Assume same for shocks/struts. I wasted $$ on tires by not taking care of this first. After....near perfect wear. Really like the Goodrich Long Trail T/A's. Holding up well to Florida heat and roadway water from our massive rainfall during summer months.

I second this recommendation. Particularly, worn struts will cause excessive outside wear on the tires. Even if the struts appear to be working fine.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Mark20 said:
My regular mechanic once told me you have to load the suspension to do this properly. That is get the tire off the ground and put a jack under the lower suspension and crank it up to put the load back. Then you can shake the tire and check the response.

I'm going to second that! (too)

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
DocBrown said:
I second this recommendation. Particularly, worn struts will cause excessive outside wear on the tires. Even if the struts appear to be working fine.

Struts control spring oscillation. They do not control camber/toe angle unless they are bent, and excess positive camber can wear out the outside of tires. Excessive toe-in can cause rapid outer tire edge wear.

Worn out struts, like worn out shocks, can cause a choppy wear pattern as the tire bounces all over the place when driving, but won't cause outer edge wear. I'm thinking you had your struts replaced and then an alignment, to solve your tire wear problem.

Also, our TB don't really have struts, as a MacPherson strut replaces an upper control arm. The TB uses what is more properly called a coil-over shock.

bmcutright

Apr 15, 2014
Any estimates on cost? I just noticed my two front tires are worn to the radial belt on the insides. I know it needs an alignment, hoping suspension is OK.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
bmcutright said:
Any estimates on cost? I just noticed my two front tires are worn to the radial belt on the insides. I know it needs an alignment, hoping suspension is OK.
$50 for a basic alignment, but its likely due to worn parts unless you hit something. Plan a bit more to fix things, but they will give you a list when they check the alignment typically.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
HARDTRAILZ said:
$50 for a basic alignment, but its likely due to worn parts unless you hit something. Plan a bit more to fix things, but they will give you a list when they check the alignment typically.
I wish alignments were only $50.... Cheapest around is $80..

Reactions: paul2005tb

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I had the opposite problem. My tires were wearing much faster on the inside as compared to the outside. I now believe it is due to a 265 series tire being to wide of a tire on a 7 inch rim causing the outside of tire to flex too much. I just replaced the fronts with 245-70-17 as opposed to the 265-65-17 I had. Same overall diameter but in my opinion the added sidewall actually appears to fill out the wheel well slightly better. See attached

Attachments

• 245-70-17.jpg
    245-70-17.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 10
May 5, 2014
Just replaced my factory Michelins with the Michelin Latitudes. They seem to be quiet & have better traction than the original tires.

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
I use these tires and they have good traction, and are quiet
courser_axt_1.aspx.png

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Tiggerr said:

How would you rate this one:
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tires/Firestone/Winterforce-LT-235-85R16.htm

I get a bit more diameter compared to the 235/75/16 Bridgestones.

Question: Is there a downside to the 85 aspect ratio tires as snow tires ? Would I be better off getting a 75 for snow ? If that is the case then I have to go wider as I would like to get as tall as possible, as close to 33in diameter as possible.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Snow tires do best narrower on the tread width, but over all tire height doesn't matter much I don't believe. Taller = more ground clearance!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I put the General Altimax Arctic on mine last winter. Best money I have spent, other than the tune. I didn't even need 4WD other than to play with it once I put those tires on. Going to pick up a set of used OEM wheels today for them so I don't have to keep spooning tires on and off twice a year.

20150207_125030_zpsymhvkldc.jpg

Reactions: paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
coolasice said:
I wish alignments were only $50.... Cheapest around is $80..
I paid 84$ and thought that was a great value for what it takes to do the job right !

I have a question: Im considering

Option A) maintaining 2 sets of tires, one for summer and one set for winter.

Option B) Just buy a good set of winter tires and use them year-round.

The winter tires are not more expensive and if they give a quiet hwy ride what is the downside of option B ?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
paul2005tb said:
I paid 84$ and thought that was a great value for what it takes to do the job right !

I have a question: Im considering

Option A) maintaining 2 sets of tires, one for summer and one set for winter.

Option B) Just buy a good set of winter tires and use them year-round.

The winter tires are not more expensive and if they give a quiet hwy ride what is the downside of option B ?
The tread compound on dedicated winter tires is not really made for temps over like 45 degrees. You'll eat them up rather quickly in the heat. Plus they won't perform like an all season or summer tire will in warmer weather. Myself I plan on running blizzak dmv1's on stock tims in winter and something else for summer when I can get my paws on some 20's I like

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online