Tighten gas cap

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Ive owned my 04 TB LT for almost a year and over the past few months i've gotten the tighten gas cap warning on mi DIC. I make it a point to tighten that gas cap extra tight once i started noticing the warning. Now, since xmas night i have gotten the service engine soon pop up after the gas cap warning has shown up. The first time it happened, i tightened the cap and after about 2 start ups the service engine soon light has gone off. Now today the service engine soon light has popped up again. I havent gotten gas in a few days and i did wash my engine bay 2 days ago. I used very minimal amounts of cleaner and water. I didnt cover anything up, but i would estimate i sprayed less than 2 gallons of water while cleaning the motor. Deep down i think its the gas cap thats throwing out the service engine soon light. Anyone else have issues with the gas cap and warning lights and if so what is the solution?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Replace the gas cap.

I had a similar issue a while back. Replaced the cap and all was well. The rubber seal on it had gone bad.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
:iagree:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Common issue. Happened way back on my 2004 when I had it. The only issue is that you will want to replace it with the oem model that has the tether so you don't leave the cap behind when getting gas. The auto parts stores model is just a cap. There are some tethered, oem caps on ebay too if you can wait. For me the cap wouldn't screw on tight and the mechanism inside of it just gave up. I ended up going to the dealer to buy it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1) Get a new gas cap. They're cheap.

2) Get the code read. You may have an emissions-related fuel vapor problem from another place besides the cap.

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I'll prolly get new gas cap today. I do remember hearing about certain model chevy trucks/suv's that had vapor issues and the solution was to buy the chevy fix kit which consisted of tubing that had to be ran to the highest part in the engine bay. Something about a issues with built up pressure. I could be wrong.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Man, Ive gotten a lot of warning messages on my Info Center, but thats one thats never come up!

Will the 'tighten gas cap' warning come up on my 2002's DIC? Or was that added at a certain year?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Man, Ive gotten a lot of warning messages on my Info Center, but thats one thats never come up!

Will the 'tighten gas cap' warning come up on my 2002's DIC? Or was that added at a certain year?

Sorry that was added on for the 2003 model year. Just kidding, if you have the dic, I putting money it having it.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Jkust said:
Sorry that was added on for the 2003 model year. Just kidding, if you have the dic, I putting money it having it.

:tongue:

I checked the pdf of my owners manual, and there was no provision in the DIC section for that message :frown: Tons of other messages, but no "tighten fuel cap" one. :undecided:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Just wait... I'm sure we haven't seen ALL the wonderful messages GM plugged into our rides...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DirtEater73

Members Online