Squeeky brakes look new

stormyday

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
I picked up an 02 trailblazer the other day with squeaky brakes, took the wheels of last night and the pads look like new. I don't have any history on the car but it may have been sitting of a few weeks. Any ideas for me?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Whoever put in the brakes could have neglected to put anti-squeal goop on the BACKS of the pads. Or they could have been poorly broken-in. Or they could be CCC: Cheap Chinese Crap brand pads.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
Another thing to look at is the brake backing plates. Had this problem myself after new pads and rotors and went nuts for like 4 months trying to figure out the intermittent squeal that sounded like the wear indicators. There's a video over at youtube on this very subject:

[video=youtube;g2UTd673fl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UTd673fl4&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
stormyday said:
I picked up an 02 trailblazer the other day with squeaky brakes

Do you mean squeaky as in "creaking" like an old rusty door hinge? Or do you mean squeal like a high pitched metal on metal scrapping?

If you really have creaking and the pads and rotors look ok then I have some news for you. I just went through this ordeal. The funny thing is GM knows about it. Let me know exactly what you got and I can help. But there have been some good suggestions thusfar.

stormyday

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
I would say a squeal, like metal, but the pads look like new, what's the news you have for me? Any news may help

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
do you think it is front or back?

noise only when brakes are applied?

noise when light brake or heavy brake, or always?

does the parking brake work?

have you jacked up and rotated by hand, looking for sticking/rubbing?

have you verified the caliper is firmly attached, but moves on the pins?

what shape are the backing plates in?

triz

Apr 22, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Do you mean squeaky as in "creaking" like an old rusty door hinge? Or do you mean squeal like a high pitched metal on metal scrapping?

If you really have creaking and the pads and rotors look ok then I have some news for you. I just went through this ordeal. The funny thing is GM knows about it. Let me know exactly what you got and I can help. But there have been some good suggestions thusfar.

Don't want to jack the thread but I have a high pitched sound that goes away when I apply the brakes. I havent checked it out yet but I was going to relube the pins. ??? The sounds comes back when I drive and only goes away when your on the brake.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
triz said:
Don't want to jack the thread but I have a high pitched sound that goes away when I apply the brakes. I havent checked it out yet but I was going to relube the pins. ??? The sounds comes back when I drive and only goes away when your on the brake.

That's the brake pad wear indicators. When you apply the brakes the caliper pushes the indicators further into the rotor, along with the brake pad. It doesn't vibrate and make the noise when you brake. Sounds like you need a major brake job. I would also clean, inspect the calipers and rebuild/replace if necessary. If doing the work yourself I would invest in the following.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 18K1551X Professional Durastop Front Brake Caliper Kit: Automotive

View attachment 30476

Attachments

• 41nC8A6MB1L.jpg
    41nC8A6MB1L.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 88

triz

Apr 22, 2013
CaptainXL said:
That's the brake pad wear indicators. When you apply the brakes the caliper pushes the indicators further into the rotor, along with the brake pad. It doesn't vibrate and make the noise when you brake. Sounds like you need a major brake job. I would also clean, inspect the calipers and rebuild/replace if necessary. If doing the work yourself I would invest in the following.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 18K1551X Professional Durastop Front Brake Caliper Kit: Automotive

View attachment 17282

I will check them again. I've never let my brakes get down that far and last I checked they had about 50% life in them. I'll take the wheel of and make sure I don't have one side worn over the other. I usually change rotors at the same time I do brakes. Thanks for the link.:thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Used motor oil will take away the squeaking...

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Used motor oil will take away the squeaking...

Always have to be careful with humor.

I remember a Detroit Free Press cartoon on winterizing your car, basically said pull the air cleaner and hose out the carb. (this alone should date the cartoon and myself) you know some person did it. answer of what are you doing looking at the funny pages for car advice was not soothing to the reader, who had quite the bill to pay.

and yes, I think there are people stupid enough to spray oil on their brakes.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hence the purple...sarcasm.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Purple+sarcasm = no comprendo:raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online