So.... if you were buying a new mini van what would it be?

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I'm a loyal Chevy fan through and through but I'm ready to light this Uplander on fire and roll it down a hill. I'll leave it at that.

I've been researching vans for the last few months, paid off my trailblazer and plan on driving it for a while longer. So I have some money to play with to get the wife into something nicer. We're %99 set on a van again because it's just really hard to beat the room and features you get for the price. I'd love to put her in a Tahoe or Suburban but man $$$$$. I haven't been on the forum in ages and thought this might be a great place to get some opinions.

My budget is about $30k. Looking for new, 2013 or 2014. Right now I'm looking at (2) vans, a 2014 Grand Caravan R/T or a 2013 Town and Country Touring-L. They both have about the same options, leather, heated seats, blu ray entertainment, NAV, etc etc. Touring-L has factory remote start and a keyless enter-n-go system (push button start/stop) which is nice when loading up the kids. The GC R/T certainly looks nicer, about as sporty as a van can get. I've been trying to find any other features that differ between the two since the T&C is a bit more luxury based. Seems like the T&C might hold it's value more. Chrysler and most dealers are giving about $6k off MSRP right now on 2013s.

2014-dodge-grand-caravan_100435746_s.jpg

image-1.jpg

I have looked at the Sienna and Odyssey and man....... to get close to the same features is $40k+ easy.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Mopar with the stowNgo. Or a Ferd if it comes with an ecoboost turbo. IF. iff...

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
Envoy XL Denali :wootwoot:cant beat those options! or just a regulator Envoy XL or Trailblazer EXT. never a van:hissyfit:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My tbss is the closests id ever get to a mini van. Good luck on ur search tho bro.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Well, if a van is no go for you guys what are you driving in place of one?

We have 2 boys, both into racing BMX. I race with them as well. I'm hoping next year we will start to do a little travel to races. I have a nice hitch mounted rack for the bikes but would like decent gas mileage and room for traveling.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
My tbss is the closests id ever get to a mini van. Good luck on ur search tho bro.

Edit: a gmt360 is the closests id come to a mini van. Buy the extended version of the voy or tb.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Maybe I should reword this..... This isn't MY van. It's for my wife. I'm keeping my trailblazer. I will however, be driving the van when it comes to hauling the kids around.

The XL TB or envoy are no where near the room and flexibility of a van..... I still wouldn't own a van as my only vehicle, and my wife told me she would never own a van until we had one for a week.

I'm curious, how old are you guys and which of you have kids?

Friendly convo here, I like hearing opinions and see where everyone is coming from. :thumbsup:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
NickRummy said:
Maybe I should reword this..... This isn't MY van. It's for my wife. :thumbsup:

In that case keep looking...lol
There is a guy who put in an ls motor in a full size van. It looks alright.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Friend bought his wife a tc w stowNgo and they love it. Definitley do not do their own maintenance but they have two boys, 9&7, and she's a teacher. A lot of trips in the summer. Sometimes weeks long.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
NickRummy said:
Maybe I should reword this..... This isn't MY van. It's for my wife. I'm keeping my trailblazer. I will however, be driving the van when it comes to hauling the kids around.

The XL TB or envoy are no where near the room and flexibility of a van..... I still wouldn't own a van as my only vehicle, and my wife told me she would never own a van until we had one for a week.

I'm curious, how old are you guys and which of you have kids?

Friendly convo here, I like hearing opinions and see where everyone is coming from. :thumbsup:

I am 36 and have 2 teenage girls. I use my TB for the family, my Doberman and still have room for luggage, and I only have a regular wheelbase. I could never get my wife in a van she has a lifted wrangler and a built Fiero. If she needed more room then what I have she has considered an EXT but we don't have any use for it with my TB. also a minivan isn't really any bigger the an ext. the only reason I see for something bigger is if you have 4 or more kids to be honest, but thats just me. I personally don't understand the everything has to be bigger thing we as a society have turned to. I my wife has clients without kids who want a bigger house then the 2500 feet they have. we are going to a smaller house with the kids moving on soon the 1000 feet we have we don't even use fully now.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
My only complaint using my TB for the family is our kids are 2 and 4 right now and those car seats take up a TON of room. We have a Saint Bernard and a German Shepard, so piling both boys and both dogs in the TB doesn't happen. I've had the boys in the TB before and it's not a huge deal, it's crammed in the back seat and my seat gets kicked a lot but it's manageable. It's not nearly as easy as loading them into the van.

I'm all about efficiency, not just getting something bigger. The TB has a 113" wheelbase and the EXT has a 129" wheelbase.... I believe the T&C is 121". It's probably smaller overall in size than an EXT TB but I'm sure has more usable internal space. The T&C gets better gas mileage than a TB too. I'd LOVE to have a suburban but that's certainly overkill.

I'm not trying to slam TBs, I love mine and will keep it for a long time, I'm just talking terms of practicality with my family.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
We had a newer Ram van on vacation last year- it was awesome. Out of the 2 you're looking at though, I would go with the T&C. They are sour nice inside and although they are basically the same vehicle, the little luxury options that the Chrysler has make it a step above the Ram. Kind of like a loaded Suburban LTZ is basically the same as an Escalade ESV, the Town & Country is the "Cadillac" of those 2 options. Good luck, either way you guys will be happy. Chrysler basically re-built their brand in the 80's with the Plymouth Voyager/Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C and they've been nailing it ever since.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Gotta agree w/ willin513, the t&c is the cady,so to say.
i'm way past the minivan years, did own a 98 astro awd before my 03 ext, and all the room was nice on long trips.
did not here "she's touching me, she's touching me" once on all the family trips we took in that.
if you can afford it, go for the luxury while you can. :twocents:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Toyota Sienna ....:yes:

Wifey's daily driver but is an 05, the new style you could easily get into for $30K that's a year old. I won't give up the Envoy for a van, but it's for her, and the fact it is a godsend on long trips. The 3MZ motor in ours is a beast, the newer 3.5 is more of a beast. These things freakin' move out.....trust me, you will like it.

Don't knock it....until you drive it....:nono: and the new style looks sweet.

Buddy has the Odyssey and he loves it....I haven't been partial to them since they had issues with earlier models on the tranny's but they seemed to have fixed them for the new style......I just think it looks too much like a hearse.

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013

Attachments

• 00K0K_257USzyVnpw_600x450.jpg
    00K0K_257USzyVnpw_600x450.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 58
  • sm1cCJx.jpg
    sm1cCJx.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 58

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
welllll theres a familiar name! Sup Nick? This is Darkrider from BYT. As for what to suggest for a van.....hmmm even im stumped on this one since when it comes time for that with the gf we are planning on opting for a GMT370 which is the TB EXT and Envoy XL. Both have the length you need but next to no cargo room due to the third row....hmmm maybe a Dodge Journey?

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
smokey262 said:
I have never owned a mini-van but can definitely see the strong points of one for a family.

Here is a Ford Excursion that is near you that is in your budget and has plenty of space. It is one of a kind and will never get lost in the sea of mini-vans at family friendly events

haha! I get nervous when my wife backs up the van we have now, I can only imagine her in that thing!

Darkrider_LS said:
welllll theres a familiar name! Sup Nick? This is Darkrider from BYT. As for what to suggest for a van.....hmmm even im stumped on this one since when it comes time for that with the gf we are planning on opting for a GMT370 which is the TB EXT and Envoy XL. Both have the length you need but next to no cargo room due to the third row....hmmm maybe a Dodge Journey?

What's up buddy! Haven't been on BYT in a while..... No time for toys lately :frown: Glad to see you over here though!

gmcman said:
Toyota Sienna ....:yes:

Wifey's daily driver but is an 05, the new style you could easily get into for $30K that's a year old. I won't give up the Envoy for a van, but it's for her, and the fact it is a godsend on long trips. The 3MZ motor in ours is a beast, the newer 3.5 is more of a beast. These things freakin' move out.....trust me, you will like it.

Don't knock it....until you drive it....:nono: and the new style looks sweet.

Buddy has the Odyssey and he loves it....I haven't been partial to them since they had issues with earlier models on the tranny's but they seemed to have fixed them for the new style......I just think it looks too much like a hearse.

A friend of mine's dad sells Toyota's and keeps telling me to come down and he'll hook us up. I know I'd get a killer deal and awesome financing but it's seriously just hard to beat the price for the options on the T&C. They aren't hot rods but they're not slouches either. They have 283hp.

I checked out a new 2013 T&C Touring-L yesterday. $6500 off MSRP with the dealer and factory incentives. It's the most features you can get before going to the Limited which is $35k minimum. It was REALLY nice. Heated seats and steering wheel, leather, NAV with bluetooth audio streaming, 115v outlet, blu ray player with 2nd and 3rd row screens, remote start, push button start, adjustable pedals, power rear hatch and sliding doors, stow-n-go seating, etc etc.

I'm going out at lunch today to drive a 2014 Grand Caravan R/T. It basically has all the features of the T&C except the keyless enter-n-go (you can leave the key fob in your pocket to enter the van and push button start) and it doesn't have the 3rd row screen (which isn't a huge deal since you can still see the screen in the second row easily.

I think the T&C will hold it's value longer and just be worth more in the long run, I REALLY like the look of the R/T though :biggrin: It's all black interior too which looks sweet.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I agree the T&C are a killer deal. Just at the very least, drive the Sienna before you decide...it's free to drive. 2 stage vtec.....what?

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
gmcman said:
I agree the T&C are a killer deal. Just at the very least, drive the Sienna before you decide...it's free to drive. 2 stage vtec.....what?

I'll drive one, but on paper I'm not that impressed vs the T&C or GC R/T. I found a 2012 XLE with 16k miles for $31.5k. (more than the new Touring-L and R/T I'm looking at) and it certainly has nice features. HID lights are nice, sunroof is a nice bonus, looks like it has a crazy wide screen monitor for the 2nd row which is cool, no second row stow-n-go (more interested in the floor cargo space this provides), and almost 20hp less than the TC and RT. I know that's on paper so could certainly drive different but to spend MORE on something that is USED would take some serious options to sway me.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I drove a '04 Sienna for two years. I can't compare it to other minivans, but I do know that the steering wheel and seat aren't centered to each other.
Sound system is terrible. The timing belt requires maintenance about every 90k miles. The engine coolant is red.

I did see a T&C that is owned by a family friend, it contains the nicest interior lighting I've seen in a long time.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My wife loves her 98 Grand Caravan so much that she went back to it after I bought an 07 TB for her to replace it. I do admit the room and functionality are great. I love having one in the fleet of 5 we keep, but I would not drive it. I will being shortly replacing the 98 with a newer one, but at 200K it drives great. Has good power. Everything works. It just has rust and that turns the wife off. But it is at the point where replacement is cheaper than body repair.

I know she would love a T&C. Definitely a nice van.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Honda Odyssey if you want a minivan, no question about it. Everyone I know that's owned an Odyseey (of any model year) loved it.

Folks I know with Mopar vans like them... when they work. Interior of the Mopars are generally not as nice as the Hondas either.

Second choice would be the Toyota Sienna.

If you only have two kids, take a look at the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot. Certified pre-owned is the way to go if you can swing the $$.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Just got back from driving a 2014 Grand Caravan R/T. Man that thing is nice...... Looks really good too. Better than the TC I think. Interior looks killer, all black, no two tone. It was fully loaded with all options. Tow package with load leveling is really nice. Won't tow with it but nice to throw the big bike rack and bikes on the back and load up the back and not have to worry about dragging @ss.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
NickRummy said:
What's up buddy! Haven't been on BYT in a while..... No time for toys lately :frown: Glad to see you over here though!

Def know that feeling since I haven't touched my rcs for a lil over two years now. Found my way over here after buying a tb last fall.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
TexazReece said:
What about the Ferd Flex?

Meh. The only Ford I'd consider would be a truck.

Darkrider_LS said:
Def know that feeling since I haven't touched my rcs for a lil over two years now. Found my way over here after buying a tb last fall.

How you liking the TB?

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I always find the anti-mini van crowd humorous, is status that important? I think we'll always have one, you just can't beat the functionality and MPG combination. I don't think there's any vehicle that does creature comforts better, they know their market.

I think the most ironic thing is that unless you tow, most folks would be far better served with a mini van then almost any SUV, but that wouldn't be 'cool' I guess. I have the 9-7x precisely because of the towing we do, and the wife's van is the perfect complement to it.

I'm casually looking at the T&C myself now. The wife has a 2000 Windstar that we've been happy with. Did have to rebuild the transmission at 105,000 miles, but the upgraded sun shell should so us for as long as we own it and the engine has been solid. It is long in the tooth, and I know she (and me!) would be really happy with the modern amenities such as stow and go, so I'm starting my research. I don't like to be rushed in buying a car, and I like to know more then the salesman when I do shop (not that hard usually!).

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
NickRummy said:
How you liking the TB?

Enjoying it a lot! Currently working on cargo management in the rear and considering ways to make it rc friendly. Namely in the form of a power point in the rear to power chargers.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Instrumental said:
I always find the anti-mini van crowd humorous, is status that important? I think we'll always have one, you just can't beat the functionality and MPG combination. I don't think there's any vehicle that does creature comforts better, they know their market.

I think the most ironic thing is that unless you tow, most folks would be far better served with a mini van then almost any SUV, but that wouldn't be 'cool' I guess. I have the 9-7x precisely because of the towing we do, and the wife's van is the perfect complement to it.

The problem is back in the day when the "minivan" came to be and the 'Caravan" was labeled the "Soccer Mom" vehicle....people turned a sore eye to it....I'm guilty of it. That is until I had kids and I couldn't agree more especially when cargo space and MPG is essential. I can cruise with the van loaded with gear and 6 people at 70 MPH and maintain 24-26 MPG depending on how I drive and with or without A/C.....26 W/O. :wink:

Modern vans are stylish and while I would never trade the voy for one, having one in the family right now is essential IMO.

NickRummy....this is for you. :biggrin:

2013_Toyota_Sienna.png

Tallman

Jan 3, 2012
TOWN and Country
We have had mini vans for close to 20 years. Presently we have a Town and Country that is the family vehicle. I like the stow and go seats as I have a lot of room to haul something. It is loaded and I get decent mileage with it. We would be lost with out it. But my daily driver is my Trailblazer as I like to hunt a fish and it works out great for that. Gas mileage sucks on the TB though. We would not be without a van as a family vehicle.
Ken

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The Ford Flex comes to mind for something new.

Used Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid, Ford Taurus X, AKA Freestyle, and available in AWD.

I would not own anything FWD made by MOPAR. They have not been able to build a FWD tranny since the early 80's.

Stay away from the Arcadia, Traverse, Enclave.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Picked up a 2014 Dodge Caravan R/T Saturday for my Wife.

Driver convenience group (heated steering wheel and seats), DVD (didn't want to pay for Blu Ray), 430n NAV package, and tow package with load leveling. Don't plan on towing but it's nice for the bike rack we use for racing BMX and load leveling will be nice so I'm not dragging the rear end around on trips and races.

Got it for $1500 less than MSRP including tax, title, fees and an unlimited (no expiration as long as the van is in my name) mopar maximum care bumper to bumper warranty.

Just wish I could have found one with the black wheels instead of the carbon... Dealership had to go 200 miles to get this one.

IMG_5715_zps4c32f2d9.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Nice score.....those look real nice.

If I may suggest, find out specifically and have in writing, the warranty on the NAV system...those are big, big dollars to replace. I dont believe an aftermarket units either fit, or work with the vehicle integration from the unit. If it craps out they will bend you over.

Other than that, I really dig the styling......very cool.

NickRummy

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
gmcman said:
Nice score.....those look real nice.

If I may suggest, find out specifically and have in writing, the warranty on the NAV system...those are big, big dollars to replace. I dont believe an aftermarket units either fit, or work with the vehicle integration from the unit. If it craps out they will bend you over.

Other than that, I really dig the styling......very cool.

Yeh, I looked through it in detail. It's actually surprising what it actually covers. O2 sensors, wiring harnesses, ,wheel bearings, bushings, struts, audio/video components and wiring (including rear back up cam and NAV as long as its factory installed), speakers, Heating/Cooling, literally about everything on the vehicle.

It doesn't cover light bulbs, wipers, brake pads/rotors, tires, etc etc.

strat81 said:
An unlimited time and mileage bumper to bumper warranty?

Correct. $100 deductible after the 3yr 36,000 mile bumper to bumper ends. It requires the van to be in my name. The warranty does not transfer to another owner.

Maximum Care New Vehicle Coverage

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online

No members online now.