Should the United States have better gun control ???

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
Badbart said:
That's one of the issues I have with teachers being armed in our schools. Not all are capable. And would they "freeze" at the moment of conflict? LEO's are carefully screened and run through hours of scenario based training to evaluate our actions in the worst possible situations. I'm not sure that teachers would or could dedicate that kind of time and training with all the things already on their plate. I personally believe that retired LEO's would be a good choice for school security. Put them in plain clothes, and give them access to assault rifles on the school campus.

I agree to a certain extent with this. Both my wife and I work in schools. She is a teacher in a middle school and I am a computer tech for a high school. Even though at my school we have 2 Police officers and one unarmed security guard I still wish some of us could carry. Our campus is very open and anyone can walk onto it very easy and this makes me a little nervous sometimes. I am not saying everyone should carry, I do agree that not all are capable of carrying. I am saying a few with either former training such as myself, being former military and/or more current training. I think that if you do decide to carry you should train just like the LEO's for an active shooter situation. I also believe that if something happened that just like in your house or on the street if something happened it should fall on you and not the school. Meaning if you shot someone then the school has no obligation to help defend you.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
That's big, considering all the talk of gun bans.

SEMIJim

Apr 13, 2013
Badbart said:
LEO's are carefully screened and run through hours of scenario based training to evaluate our actions in the worst possible situations.
Sorry, I missed this, originally.

According to comments I've seen, from officers in mulitple departments, all over the country: That isn't even remotely close to reality for a good many, perhaps even most, departments. In fact: The average shooting hobbiest generally gets more trigger time, and often more "scenario" trigger time, than many LEOs.

Jim

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
SEMIJim said:
Sorry, I missed this, originally.

According to comments I've seen, from officers in mulitple departments, all over the country: That isn't even remotely close to reality for a good many, perhaps even most, departments. In fact: The average shooting hobbiest generally gets more trigger time, and often more "scenario" trigger time, than many LEOs.

Jim

Definitely the case with many around here. I know some that dont even seem to know their own weapons that well.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Florida is one of a handfull of states that train above the national average. I believe California, Missouri, and North Carolina are the others. When I went to the academy we had 672 hours of basic training. That was just to get our state certifications. I'm sure that number has gone up since then.
I was fortunate to get specialized training through my office due to assignments with active shooter response teams at the schools, court security, and working with the U.S. Marshal's Service. I also trained with SWAT team members and snipers that were also assigned to that special ops unit so I got to do a lot of fun stuff and use a lot of weapons that the average LEO didn't have acess to. Sadly, when I retired I was only allowed to keep my issued Glock 21. :frown:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Badbart said:
The article says the cases were visible in the back seat of an SUV. Not really what I'd call a cargo area. Any time I transport my long guns, they're in the cargo area of my SUV with the cover pulled over them, or the trunk of my car. Just common sense to me. I don't want them seen. To easy for someone to do a smash and grab.

Those officers most likely thought they had apprehended a burglar given the quantity of guns in the vehicle. When I was a deputy one of my guys did a traffic stop on a suspicious vehicle at 2:30 in the morning and observed hand guns on the passenger floor. He held the driver at gunpoint until backup got there. The passenger bailed and ran but was caught later. We recovered 17 guns that night and solved 12 burglaries that these guys committed.

I really believe if the guy had properly identified himself and not lied to the officer about what he had in the car he probably would have walked. But when I see a gun case in your car and you tell me, "No, no, all good". That's a red flag!

As for the concern about searching the vehicle for officer safety, I'm good with that. Yes, they had the suspect out of the vehicle, but they had gun cases in plain veiw. They had a suspect that was not cooperative or forthcoming when questioned. What would you do? Let him go back to his vehicle after you had determined he had gun cases in it and wait to see if he pulled a gun? That's not how we operate. They did the right thing. He didn't. Never lie to a law enforcement officer. And if he was indeed a former officer, he knew better.

I could not disagree more with this post. I will lie, and hide the truth at every chance I get with a cop. They have no right to search my vehicle, my persons, or anything else without probable cause, which was not displayed in this case. Don't like it, to bad bro. I am not giving up my liberty for your safety. His guns were in the case, unloaded, in the back seat of the vehicle. Its not like he had it on his lap, or the passenger seat. Besides, it would have taken longer for him to get to one of those guns, load it, and fire, than the cop would have needed to just pull his gun, and fire, if needed. Falls under the unreasonable search and seizure. I am allowed to carry a gun. Most cops just don't like it that a CIVILIAN has the same amount of power as the cop. This is not a civilian, this falls under a militia, or whatever open carry laws you want. Just tired of cops thinking they are entitled to "flex their muscles" at every chance they get. And before you go off on me about it, realize, I am also a EX-LEO. I left the LEO because cops generally don't give a shit about civilians rights, and most LEO agency's are corrupt.

Now whether or not the guy identified himself as a EX-LEO has no bearing on this at all. And to the New Jersey cop, would not have made a difference at all. Bloomberg (I know, wrong state), and whatever Democrat you want to mention, are just trying to take all our rights away. Instead of standing up to the people that are ignoring ever facet of the constitution, like all the Sherriff's of the Sheriff's Departments of all the county's in the state of Colorado are, they are just putting a blind eye to our rights as the people of the United States of America, and blindly "following orders". If the Orders don't agree with the laws of the land, than one of them is not to be followed.

I swore an oath, and so did every military, LEO, politician, etc, to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. To go against this document is to commit High Treason, punishable by death.

Grr.. Going to shut up now, to many Sheeple around..

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Well...I thought we had moved on from this topic. Since it's clear that we still have no one here with all of the facts. This case is also straying way off the topic of this thread. So, how about we put it to rest before it gets any more heated and causes the thread to be closed.

Thanks.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
TollKeeper said:
And before you go off on me about it, realize, I am also a EX-LEO.

Have to call BS on this one. There is no way.....

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
they gave them the extension already. But we have stopped every ban.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Hatchet said:
they gave them the extension already. But we have stopped every ban.

Keep up the good fight :thumbsup:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Today Illinois joins the other 49 states. Today we passed a Shall Issue concealed carry bill. Still got a bit of a wait for the ISP to issue applications. But today we won!!!

37293013.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Hatchet said:
Today Illinois joins the other 49 states. Today we passed a Shall Issue concealed carry bill. Still got a bit of a wait for the ISP to issue applications. But today we won!!!

37293013.jpg

:wootwoot::wootwoot::wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online