rock crawling footage

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
Thats awsome!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
This asshat kills living trees for his pleasure? Not living the Tread Lightly ideals, I guess. :frown:

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
After talking to one of the guys I work with, who also happens to own a rock crawler and has met and talked with the driver of Showtime, most of these events take place at privately owned ORV parks, or areas designated for this. Its not as if they are bombing the local state recreation area, before the rangers can get there. These areas do enforce a rather strict no alcohol, litter, etc. policy, from what I've been told. Im all on board with the tread-lightly philosophy, as a part time backpacker myself. But at least these guys have places they can go do what they like.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
My problem with it is that he seemed to only know one speed, pedal all the way down. Great it made for good video, but he was continuing to destroy trails as he went but rutting them up even more. To me that is not what rock crawling is. Within the first couple minutes of the video I found myself hoping to see him roll it or have some day ending damage. I am glad I got to see both!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
My problem with it is that he seemed to only know one speed, pedal all the way down. Great, it made for good video, but he was continuing to destroy trails as he went by rutting them up even more. To me that is not rock crawling. Within the first couple minutes of the video I found myself hoping to see him roll it or have some day ending damage. I am glad I got to see both!

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Again I went to my buddy about this. These "trails" are usually small sections of the "park" set aside for these guys to bash away at, as they see fit.

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
the roadie said:
This asshat kills living trees for his pleasure? Not living the Tread Lightly ideals, I guess. :frown:

Exact first thing that came to my mind.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
oops, double posted.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Conner299 said:
Again I went to my buddy about this. These "trails" are usually small sections of the "park" set aside for these guys to bash away at, as they see fit.

Even in the private parks you still drive with respect for the driver that will be there tomorrow. By spinning the tires as much as he was and trowing dirt everywhere all he was doing was making the ruts even deeper, which will make that trail even harder for the guy that follows. Not really interested in debating you, just pointing out the facts. Ultimately, there is nothing in "Tread Lightly" that says the rules are put on hold just because you have to pay to get into an off road park.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I wasn't trying to start a debate or win anyone over to my side. Its just an aspect of the sport that isn't necessarily for everyone. Im also going by second hand information from my friend at work. He's the one who does this as well, and he said that the areas these guys are in, are only really accessible by these guys, not your average off-roader.

EDIT: And its a little like NASCAR. Most people go and watch and hope for someone to break something or roll.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Conner299 said:
After talking to one of the guys I work with, who also happens to own a rock crawler and has met and talked with the driver of Showtime, most of these events take place at privately owned ORV parks, or areas designated for this. Its not as if they are bombing the local state recreation area, before the rangers can get there. These areas do enforce a rather strict no alcohol, litter, etc. policy, from what I've been told. Im all on board with the tread-lightly philosophy, as a part time backpacker myself. But at least these guys have places they can go do what they like.

They are at private parks. They are generally called Bounty hills and set-up for this shit. The no alcohol is funny, because I know guys that just go drink and watch these events.

Regulator said:
My problem with it is that he seemed to only know one speed, pedal all the way down. Great it made for good video, but he was continuing to destroy trails as he went but rutting them up even more. To me that is not what rock crawling is. Within the first couple minutes of the video I found myself hoping to see him roll it or have some day ending damage. I am glad I got to see both!

They destroy these things, but with 200K you can build them to a take a hell of a beating first. The guys new buddy has a straight drive from a monster truck after destroying Atlas cases.

Conner299 said:

Bingo...Bounty Hills

Conner299 said:
I wasn't trying to start a debate or win anyone over to my side. Its just an aspect of the sport that isn't necessarily for everyone. Im also going by second hand information from my friend at work. He's the one who does this as well, and he said that the areas these guys are in, are only really accessible by these guys, not your average off-roader.

EDIT: And its a little like NASCAR. Most people go and watch and hope for someone to break something or roll.

About anyone can get there, but not many people can even attempt it. There is a funny video of a van going down one the bounty hills. Gravity and a little steering got it down, but it was a hell of a ride. Up has to be a bitch.

I do not like these bouncers, but they have some incredible tech and amazing builds. Years ago Rock Crawling was looked at the same as Rock Bouncing and now it has nationally sanctioned events and is recognized all over. The Bouncers need to place some rules and safety aspects, then they may turn out the same way, but right now....it is amazing that more people are not hurt or killed standing 12 feet from these nutjob drivers. One of the major magazines actually just addressed that and said they would not cover it until it was made safe...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My problem with these guys is that theres no skill involved. Just to much money, and to much lead in their foot. I rather enjoy having to very carefully pick a line, worry about clearnaces, bite, torrque management, etc.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
TollKeeper said:
My problem with these guys is that theres no skill involved. Just to much money, and to much lead in their foot. I rather enjoy having to very carefully pick a line, worry about clearnaces, bite, torrque management, etc.

You have never seen inside one of these or evn seen one up close i guess. It takes an amazing amount of skill to drive one of these. Front and rear steer/ individual tire braking / winches on the axles/ understanding the suspension reactions in milliseconds / picking the right line/ knowing your belly clearance and your angles/ when to throttle in and when to let off, when to cut this brake or that brake. The inside is an aray of switches and levers that most people could never dream of figuring out, much less using on the fly at near 90 degree angles while trying to keep momentum up and the wheels down.

Any dumbass can gear down a jeep and crawl over rocks for the most part. It does take some skill but not near what the pilot of one of these deals with.

While I do not like them, I respect the hell out of the drivers and builders of these machines.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have seen these things up close, and maybe the ones I was looking at was less sophisticated than that. It didnt have a wide array of switches. Just one on the gear shift for rear steering. One brake pedals for all wheels. The ones I have seen up close were just point and shoot driving.

I guess I am just more into the adventure of it all, more than what these guys are doing.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am more into the adventure as well. There are lots of these front yard built wannabe's, but the true bouncers are pretty high tech and mostly down south of me. The stuff they practice on scares the shit out of me.

i know not every switch is used, but they got some tech to them....

SDC16704.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That thing has as many switches as the Semi Truck I drive.. I could probly handle that many :smile: .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online