Rear Sway/Stabilizer Bar replacement

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I've discussed this on the OS and determined that my rear sway bar (part #15159598) is hosed. I was just checking the prices and :eek: they are expensive!!!

S157(03) STABILIZER SHAFT/REAR; ST155 STABILIZER SHAFT/REAR; T1 STABILIZER SHAFT/REAR;. Fits: 2005 GMC ENVOY XL SLT 4WD | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

The V8 bars are $118 but the I6 bars are $517? Are they gold plated? Look like it's after market for me!

Edit: Rockauto has a Dorman for $117, but I don't know if I trust that brand.

Any suggestions?
What's the best bang for your buck?
Any to stay away from?

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
I've discussed this on the OS and determined that my rear sway bar (part #15159598) is hosed. I was just checking the prices and :eek: they are expensive!!!

S157(03) STABILIZER SHAFT/REAR; ST155 STABILIZER SHAFT/REAR; T1 STABILIZER SHAFT/REAR;. Fits: 2005 GMC ENVOY XL SLT 4WD | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

The V8 bars are $118 but the I6 bars are $517? Are they gold plated? Look like it's after market for me!

Edit: Rockauto has a Dorman for $117, but I don't know if I trust that brand.

Any suggestions?
What's the best bang for your buck?
Any to stay away from?

well if you want I have a stock one sitting in my garage if ya wanted it free

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
Why would you not trust dorman?

IDK, maybe seeing more than few people have trouble with their Dorman fan clutch. I know they're two dissimilar parts and the fan clutch design was flawed to begin with, but I see Dorman and I think "unreliable".

It's like when Kia first started selling cars here their reliability sucked, now they're supposedly one of the most reliable, but I'm still a little leery of them. First impressions are hard to shake.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
You are right I have seen on the sights that people have been having problems with certain Dorman parts . Usually it has been electrical type parts.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I guess I could see your logic except they have been around a very long time, their venture into more OEM parts is a little newer for the electrical stuff. On the store shelves with the customers they were under several names like STOP and a few other odd names. If you have every bought wheel studs and other hardware type stuff they were under the Dorman name.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Dorman is a pretty good company. Cant pass judgement based on 1 product.

My dad drives a 3.1 chevy venture, known for head gasket issues and rusting, I drive a trailblazer, both chevy.

Food for thought

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got a stock I6 and a SS I would part with.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i could see having doubts for a part like a fan clutch or e-fans (i had a dorman e-fan fail on me in a way that it shouldn't have)
but a swaybar is just a bent pipe, its not like its complicated enough to ever fail

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
jham said:
well if you want I have a stock one sitting in my garage if ya wanted it free

HARDTRAILZ said:
I got a stock I6 and a SS I would part with.

Seems like everyone with a spare is far, far away.:frown: Thanks, but I think the shipping would be more than it's worth, but mucho appreciado.:grouphug:

Car-parts.com shows a few used in the area in the $50-$75 range, or I could go with the Dorman at $117.
The Hotchkis is a little pricey for me and is tubular (totally, dude :cool:), not that that's bad I just want something similar to stock.

If I was going to upgrade, for $60 more than Dorman there's the Belltech. It's little cheaper than Hotchkis and solid bar stock. Anyone have experience with that brand? 02-08 GMC Envoy Sway Bars from Belltech at Andy's Auto Sport

And just a random question, does any one have an idea why the OEM I6 bar is $400 more than the OEM V8 bar? It couldn't be a more complicated design, it is after all just a steel bar. Limited supply? I6 owners hoarding them for the end of the world next December? Magic fairy dust?:confused:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I would guess it is the massive amounts of power the I6 engine produces along with the race like handling characteristics of the race vehicle that require a specially built sway bar for the truck. I am sure this is the reason lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
The reason is probably a limited market for them and it maybe fits only the one application.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Fire06 said:
I would guess it is the massive amounts of power the I6 engine produces along with the race like handling characteristics of the race vehicle that require a specially built sway bar for the truck. I am sure this is the reason lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Nailed it!! :2thumbsup:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I am curious how your rear bar is in need of replacement? It is after all just a metal tube with links on either end. Unless you have seriously damaged or broken it there shouldn't be any issue. Without knowing whats going on, I would think that your end links or your bushings are the more likely culprit. Just my 2 cents.

For what its worth, I also have a stock rear sway bar that would be available.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Regulator said:
I am curious how your rear bar is in need of replacement?

The PO had damaged it somehow (see pic), which I didn't realize until comparing to other GMT370s.

My theory is that she got stuck in the ice storm we had here last winter and someone pulled her out by by attaching a tow strap/chain to the sway bar. It doesn't make sense but the scratch marks on the bar point in that direction.

It doesn't affect drive-ability, and there's no funny rattling or clanking sounds, but it's obviously bent. There's only 5" clearance between the bar and the ground and the bar sits about 1/2" behind the diff housing instead of in front as in the other pictures I've seen.

Attachments

• P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 137

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
addco rear bar would be the cheap option, ($170ish on ebay) but it can slide around a little and hit your lower control arms... the DJM rear bar (I recommend this bar) is adjustable and specifically designed to not slide around and hit the lower control arms. The addco works, just requires a little more maintenance from time to time, in order to get it re-centered. It is also not adjustable. The DJM is adjustable, which comes in handy. A vendor here sells the DJM, maybe he will chime in as how to acquire one.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Honestly the best aftermarket bar is the DJM rear kit. Talk to NORCAL SS (Tony), he helped DJM develop them and has exclusive rights to sell them. I have both the Hotckis and DJM rear bars and have the included poly bushings on the front and rear of both of my TBs. When I had my 02 lowered with Eibach springs, the Hotckis was great and really tightened up the rear. I have my SS leveled by adjusting the rear air bags with the DJM rear bar, hands down it is tighter.

It looks like you definitely need a new rear bar, if you're not concerned with performance and just want a straight replacement, Im pretty sure you can get a used factory rear bar for probably less than $50 (+ shipping if needed). If you want to up the performance a bit and tighten up the handling without adjusting the ride height, Id highly recommend the DJM rear swaybar. The Hotckis is great, but the DJM is better.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well, its been a while, but I was underneath the truck last weekend doing a tranny filter and pan replacment and I got a better look at the damaged sway bar.

When the center of the bar was pulled back, the ends were pulled in along with the links. This caused the links to hit the lower control arms and bent one of them. The endlinks also have about 1/2" worn away at the bottom where they were hitting the control arms. I've already ordered all the parts and will try to install them next week. I'll do an article write up if anyone's interested.

Here's an drawing showing what happened to the bar:

View attachment 20435

Attachments

• swaybar.JPG
    swaybar.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 10

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I hope you went with an aftermarket sway bar! The stock ones suck in comparison and the DJM one isnt that much more.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I wanted to get the DJM but they're on back order and Norcal SS is still 10 people short of a group buy. So to get it done asap, I went with Belltech.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
I wanted to get the DJM but they're on back order and Norcal SS is still 10 people short of a group buy. So to get it done asap, I went with Belltech.

I just picked up the Belltech bar from Stillen. It was only $153, too good a deal to pass up. I will report back after installation. Hopefully I don't have interference with the differential like Dad-O-Matic does.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online