Quad Bi-xenon retrofit? woot woot!!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
NinjuhhNutz said:
just don't do like I did...order chinese, go pick it up, toss your headlight in the oven, start doing dirty things to the chinese...and then smell something NOT so delicious coming from the oven :redface::redface::redface:

:crackup: ... or try to pull the reflector bowl out of the housing above a tile floor, with no type of padding underneath you, and then drop the damn thing right on one of it's corners :duh:

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
Blckshdw said:
:crackup: ... or try to pull the reflector bowl out of the housing above a tile floor, with no type of padding underneath you, and then drop the damn thing right on one of it's corners :duh:

Okay I'm not familiar with the inside of these headlights, so basically I know I will do something stupid. But since the reflectors are jiggling that means the whole inside assembly is shot? :sadcry:

Edit: answered my own question. derrrrrp

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
wesman43 said:
Okay I'm not familiar with the inside of these headlights, so basically I know I will do something stupid. But since the reflectors are jiggling that means the whole inside assembly is shot? :sadcry:

Edit: answered my own question. derrrrrp

Which headlight has the damaged reflector bowl? Wait until you get that one open and find out exactly what part is broken before trying to get a new (to you) one. In my case, it was the stationary mount that broke off. There are 3 points, the vertical adjustment, horizontal adjustment (which you can't really adjust normally) and the stationary mount. If it's the passenger side, and either of the vertical or horizontal adjustment mounts, I can remove them from my old one and send em to you. :thumbsup:

20130712_170127_zpse8440547.jpg

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Which headlight has the damaged reflector bowl? Wait until you get that one open and find out exactly what part is broken before trying to get a new (to you) one. In my case, it was the stationary mount that broke off. There are 3 points, the vertical adjustment, horizontal adjustment (which you can't really adjust normally) and the stationary mount. If it's the passenger side, and either of the vertical or horizontal adjustment mounts, I can remove them from my old one and send em to you. :thumbsup:

20130712_170127_zpse8440547.jpg

I am not really sure to be honest, like you said I would have to get it open, but its my daily driver so it will have to wait for me to have some time off work in august. However, if I give out a whomp on the lens with my fist..
Not too hard but to simulate a bump, I can see it pivot up and down ie. Jiggling. :/ the one that's doing this is an aftermarket pos that someone who had the car before me put in, I think its the vertical adjustment because my headlightnon that side has dipped down considerably onto the road

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
So yeah, I am going to say fk it and buy two new headlights for the retrofit...the other one started doing the same thing so I'm not going to mess around with this or that lol

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
NinjuhhNutz said:
Good news is you won't babe any down time wish your truck while working on them...bad news? Well your wallet will too you :raspberry:

Yep absolutely! Still a bit nervous about baking dem headlights..plastic+heat :no:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dang it has been a while since I opened mine, but I think it was something like 250 or 300 for 8-10 minutes. And DO NOT put the headlight directly on the oven rack or let it touch anything metal inside! The metal will conduct the heat rapidly and created melted spots in your housing :no: Set it on some wood or something to insulate it from the metal rack

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
When I recieved my aftermarket clear corners they leaked...BUT. Threw em in the oven at 225* for 20 min. Took em out squeezed them together with some oven mits and voila no more leaks. Didnt use anything to set them on... other than the oven racks.

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I used old newspaper...a tip I picked up on hidplanet.com lol
everytime you take it out, to start the opening process, re-saturate the newspaper and keep going...just how I done it~

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
waiting on the sun to fully go down so I can tweak the output, and get your guys some pics!
Then it's just smearing around to jb weld, and they are gonna get a day or two to cure (not taking any chances lol)and they should be going in
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
0801131956.jpg
0801132015.jpg

2 of the bulbs has already undergone the color shift, several hours into burning the other pair, they'll match up (fingers crossed)

0801132016a.jpg

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Blckshdw said:
At least one of us has made some progress... :crazy:

dude I'm fighting back tears of anger/frustration right now!
got everything aimed and jb welded up good and sturdy...popped one of the mounting tab brackets off (easily fixable as it broke off of the bowl with a good chunk for plastic weld to grab) but then I started testing everything for the final time, and 2 of my led's on my halos are out :duh: :duh: :duh:
fkcu MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......I thought all the damn headaches with this project were behind me. :no:
so, since the mini h1's shroud mount from the back of the projector bowl, and the projector is already welded into place, I can either:
1-rip it all back apart, fix the led's, and jb weld it back again
2-try my damn best to wiggle and poke around with a pick to get them on.
3-say fuck it and go without them...which I'm really not too keen on considering how much work this whole thing has been.

excuse me, while I go make myself a considerably strong drink~:hissyfit:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
got everything aimed and jb welded up good and sturdy...popped one of the mounting tab brackets off (easily fixable as it broke off of the bowl with a good chunk for plastic weld to grab) but then I started testing everything for the final time, and 2 of my led's on my halos are out :duh: :duh: :duh:
fkcu MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......I thought all the damn headaches with this project were behind me. :no:
so, since the mini h1's shroud mount from the back of the projector bowl, and the projector is already welded into place, I can either:
3-say fuck it and go without them...which I'm really not too keen on considering how much work this whole thing has been.

Damn man that looks sweet. The blacked out look is awesome. Are you going to put in LED strips for the turn signal and side marker to have everything blacked out or leave the turn signal reflector chrome?

Your hard work is paying off, cannot wait to see some output shots! :thumbsup:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Damn man that looks sweet. The blacked out look is awesome. Are you going to put in LED strips for the turn signal and side marker to have everything blacked out or leave the turn signal reflector chrome?

Your hard work is paying off, cannot wait to see some output shots! :thumbsup:

I took some shots earlier (well damn, output shots, AND vodka shots...:raspberry:) but they really don't do the output any justice...I gave up for tonight, gonna finish working tomorrow before work and hopefully get the led's squared away.
I plan on going with the V3 Tritons for the turn/corners...they should give off a good enough light for signalling. :yes:
EVERYTHING is matte black, it's just how I roll :raspberry:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
I took some shots earlier (well damn, output shots, AND vodka shots...:raspberry:) but they really don't do the output any justice...I gave up for tonight, gonna finish working tomorrow before work and hopefully get the led's squared away.
I plan on going with the V3 Tritons for the turn/corners...they should give off a good enough light for signalling. :yes:
EVERYTHING is matte black, it's just how I roll :raspberry:

Sweet man. Those V3 Tritons are expensive. I have seen them from $100 to $140 for a pair. Are you getting them from High Performance LED Car Lighting, Light Bulbs, LED Headlights, Taillights, Turn Signals, and Brake Lights

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
NinjuhhNutz said:

:eek: One of my worst nightmares, getting everything tested and put together, and then have something fail...

Wait, some of the LEDs on the halos are out? How the hell do you plan to fix those? Or are you talking about the red ones for your devil eyes?

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
ugh! i have the money to spend and experiment but extra 2006 LT headlights are so hard to find for cheap! wth!!!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Those V3s for sure would be brighter than my LED strips. During the day I've noticed the amber almost isn't really bright enough :frown: Oh well I'm not taking them back apart to change that!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
NinjuhhNutz said:
No the white ones...and I really don't know of a way to fix them...th weld is all in the threads and nut of the projector...that bad boy isn't going anywhere

:duh: I had to go back and look, for a minute, I thought you had the Morimoto xb halos like I do. I was gonna say, if one of those had LEDs going out, I would be UP-SET as much as those things cost. But yeah, the way you did them, there's no way to fix them besides tearing everything apart.

I know the JB Weld putty can be chipped/picked off. When I went to realign mine a couple months ago, I used a couple of pick tools under the edges, and that did the trick. :twocents:

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:duh: I had to go back and look, for a minute, I thought you had the Morimoto xb halos like I do. I was gonna say, if one of those had LEDs going out, I would be UP-SET as much as those things cost. But yeah, the way you did them, there's no way to fix them besides tearing everything apart.

I know the JB Weld putty can be chipped/picked off. When I went to realign mine a couple months ago, I used a couple of pick tools under the edges, and that did the trick. :twocents:

well...I hate to say it, but I'm not going back through that hassel for the halos :sadcry:
I really wanted it...but we'll see what comes of it, I may just run the 2 for the high beams :undecided:

sealing them up now, and will take a few shots if I have time before work

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
If you dremel away some of the jb weld from around the nut, you can get a good grip on it and turn. It will break off the surrounding epoxy. If you strip the threads, trs sells replacement bowls for the mh1 projectors.

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I considered it...and truth be told I probably will, bit not right now. I'm looking at a civic to get as a dd, try to keep some.miles off the tb, and save a good bit on gas lol the I can afford the downtime with her.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
kjkim93 said:
ugh! i have the money to spend and experiment but extra 2006 LT headlights are so hard to find for cheap! wth!!!

Partsgeek.com is the cheapest site I was able to find my 07 LT headlights. I think it was around $315 shipped.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Figured I'd post some updates. The vacuum formed single piece shroud idea isn't going to work right now. After some trial and error, I was able to determine that 1/16" acrylic is the proper thickness, and that my oven isn't large enough. SOOO, I had to get some shrouds for the high beam projectors, some centric rings, and try to mod them to fit. Another reason it's better to go with the H1s instead of the D2S. :banghead:

I settled on TRS' Iris shrouds, got some of the 'white' versions from their clearance bin for cheap. A few slight imperfections, but probably not noticeable to most people. I had to trim quite a bit off the bottom, and inside edges so they would seat onto the projector, and cut off the tops on an angle to better lineup with the top of the reflector bowl.

Bottom cuts first
20130922_114241_zpsed0582cf.jpg

Tops cut off
20130922_120258_zps189de9e1.jpg

20130922_120320_zpsfee42fa1.jpg

The bezels are going to require a lot more trimming than I had previously done so the Iris shoruds fit. I took a little too much out of the front of the bottom one on the passenger side. I don't know how I screwed that up, but we'll see if I can mend it, or maybe hit a junk yard for a busted light and cannibalize it's bezel later.

20130922_122353_zps319caa29.jpg

One of my previous issues still remains though, you can still see the high beam projector's housing behind the shroud from a right angle. Granted not many people are going to look at them from there, but it's going to bug me. I might try to glue a piece of acrylic to the inside of the low beam bowl, and then paint everything to get around this. It will be a bit awkward to tape things off, since I've already epoxied the projectors in place. :ugh:

20130922_122416_zps1ac59808.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ConeKilrAutoX said:
damn....this is going to look so badass :thumbsup: I love the projector layout like that man

Thanks man, it's not going to look quite like what I had in mind when I started, but adapting is the name of the game right? Well that, and having enough money to be able to fix/get around your mistakes... :redface:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Thanks man, it's not going to look quite like what I had in mind when I started, but adapting is the name of the game right? Well that, and having enough money to be able to fix/get around your mistakes... :redface:

amen to that! and I really like that look with the shrouds tucked into to bezels. looks really clean and mean

NinjuhhNutz

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
...I am amongst three living, btw...just had a lot going on lately. I couldn't tell you how many times i had to change ideas lol
As long as you're happy with the finished product...it doesn't matter. But on the part that you cut a bit too much, if you remember, o trimmed one of my shrouds too much...n thought it was gonna bug me, but it doesn't stand out all that much...pretty sure I'm theft only one that notices lol

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Blckshdw said:
One of my previous issues still remains though, you can still see the high beam projector's housing behind the shroud from a right angle. Granted not many people are going to look at them from there, but it's going to bug me. I might try to glue a piece of acrylic to the inside of the low beam bowl, and then paint everything to get around this. It will be a bit awkward to tape things off, since I've already epoxied the projectors in place. :ugh:

But the rest of it looks nice.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Really I don't think that'll be as visible as you think it is once it is all together. You can "see" my high beam projector also at an extreme angle, but you really have to be staring at it just right to actually see it. Plus, since you're keeping it chrome in there it should hide even better than mine as I painted them all black inside.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If I was going to go this route from the beginning, I would have painted everything black (and probably be kicking myself right now), but I definitely want to leave them chrome to better hide things if I can. The good thing about having to trim the bezels, is the halos are now back in play. I wanted to mount them behind the 1 piece shroud, so the wires were hidden. Now I can mount these to the front of the high beam ones, have the wire come out the bottom and be covered by the bezel. Small victory for me! :cool:

Started eyeballing how I'm going to do my blue demon eyes. I had a few LED strips I was going to use for the AC vent mod (until everyone and their mom started doing it :ugh:) that I cut down, and will try using those. I had put holes at the top of the reflector bowl, but those might be visible with the smaller shrouds, so I'm going to run the wires out the bottom and piggy back on the high beam solenoid holes since they're large enough. :yes:

After that, time to start working on the parking/turn signal lighting. Jared set the bar on that, I'm just tryin to move into the neighborhood. :wink:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got the other bezel trimmed up a bit. Didn't trim as much on this one as the first one, since I wasn't snapping the reflector bowls into their mounts. Should have a little bit more clearance when I do that. Got started on the turn signals. The only good thing about the failure with the acrylic before, is that I have leftover scrap to use. Got my other pair of switchback strips out (thanks again Smitty!) The first pair I put into my side mirror lenses. :biggrin: Cut a couple of strips of acrylic to mount the forward ones. Waiting on a couple more things to show up in the mail, and some goodies to come available next week hopefully, then I can try to start wrapping this up. :yes:

Test fit, and test light. :cool:

20130928_161349_zpsdddfd2f6.jpg

20130928_161419_zps787972f1.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online