Qestion about my fan and fan shroud

Razorback

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I changed my fan belt yesterday and while I was doing it I touched the fan, and I noticed that the fan can be moved toward the engine, is the bearings out or do they all do this, I know on my van my water pump was going out and it moved like this, getting ready to go on long trip and its got me scared, thank you

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Fan clutch or water pump could be going out

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You do have the better fan clutch then. Is there any seepage from pump?

Razorback

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
no water at all, no noises at all, I noticed the fan is like the blade fans but it also has like a circle going all the way around it, and the fan is plastic, never looked under any other trail, I guess there all the same

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
This is most certainly the water pump bearing going south... It depends on how long has it been like this but from my experience it's not a critical condition, not yet. The pumps can function in this condition for quite some time, without leakages or noise. I don't want to promote irresponsibility and say you should not fix it, just sharing my experience :smile:

Unfortunately I'm in a similar condition. I've replaced my water pump a few months ago, it has just a few hundred miles now. When it was brand new I tried to wiggle the shaft on it right when I pulled it out of the box. It moved a liiiiitle bit, which I thought it shouldn't but I was like whatever, maybe it's an acceptable condition after all (it was quiet, as opposed to the one I pulled out of my car)... Currently my fan can be moved the same way you say. And I can even do this a bit with the belt on, which means that it would probably move a mile back and forth with the belt off :smile: No noise, no leakages. My previous pump also did this, also without leakage. But noises came, so I changed it.

Any coming-and-going vibrations in the gas pedal btw (due to eccentric movement of the fan shaft)? I feel like my vibrations are coming back a bit which makes me think that it all comes down to a defective aftermarket pump right out of factory... Or worse: I may have bent the fan when I was changing the pump and now it's out of balance and eating pumps :frown:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online