Push Bar

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Do you guys think that $414 for a Setina push bar shipped is to much to pay? This is brand new from Setina themselves.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
How much of that is shipping? Got a pic of the bar?

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
pic on someone else's truck, just doesnt seem to sit right to me

attachment.php

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I think that's the pb300. The front is more straight where as the pb400 has more of a curve to the front of it.

Reactions: paul2005tb

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont like the style and hate the loss in approach angle, but they work for some people.

I had a cheap version with the bolt on headlight protectors at one point and it was less than half that price shipped. I think 160 or 180ish.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Push bars are for mall cruisers who just want to look fierce, or law enforcement wannabes. IMHO. They hurt offroad performance in similar ways to running boards.

Some folks claim they need one because of the risk of hitting a deer. Sure. Do the math with a bit of research on crumple zones and airbag deployment sensors.

Other folks think they want to be good Samaritans to help push disabled vehicles off the travel lanes. Again - do the math. Unless you get the pushee to sign a liability waiver, YOU may be on the hook for any bumper cover or consequential damage to their vehicle. You might as well put a blanket between the two vehicles and push them gently that way.

If there's a disabled vehicle, protect them with your vehicle, flashers, triangles, and flares. Then call AAA or law enforcement. I certainly would NOT be spending $300-500 for a product that I could only use to help others, unless I was in a position to cruise around looking for damsels in distress and desperately hoping for "rescue sex." :rotfl:

Reactions: paul2005tb

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
the roadie said:
or law enforcement wannabes. IMHO.

And if it helps keep my streets safe for my kids and others from speeders, then so be it. :thumbsup:

the roadie said:
unless I was in a position to cruise around looking for damsels in distress and desperately hoping for "rescue sex." :rotfl:

Where do I sign up :wink::rotfl:

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
While the looks are up to the individual owners, they are a very nice place to mount running lights etc.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Several years ago Dad bought an 03 or 04 TB EXT with a Westin brush guard in stainless on the front. That must have been in somewhere around 05. It was a good vehicle with low mileage and it ran well, but I hated that vehicle with a passion - I thought it was ugly. The mounting tabs were there on that unit for aftermarket lights, but Dad never put any on there. The one thing he really hated about it, I remember, was that the light from the headlights reflected back off of the stainless pieces that went in front of the headlights, making it a real PITA to drive after dark. It also had matching Westin nerf bars - on a stock height TB EXT that squatted in the front.

:puke:

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I'm not getting stainless for that reason and I don't like it. To bright. Black and I might also get it powder coated. I really don't like the look of a tb with the headlight grill covers. Looks to bulky.

But hay, each to their own. You like what you like and I like what I like.

Reactions: diablo2184

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
I didn't mean to sound like I disliked your idea of having one, I just really hated that Trailblazer Dad had. I think that what you're wanting would look pretty good on the right TB.

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Oh no worries I wasn't thinking anything like that. I to was just expressing my opinion. :yes:

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Well I just heard from Setina about how the bar mounts. They sent me the install instructions specific for the trailblazer and I must say, I'm thoroughly not pleased on how it mounts. The instructions say you have to cut(yes I said cut) four slots into the bumper fascia to mount it. Well that blows, why would I want to ruin a perfectly good($100 plus)bumper just to mount this bar. If I wanted to remove it and sell the truck or something like that. I would have four slot cuts in the fascia of the bumper.

I figured with a price like $400 plus dollars, I wouldn't have to sacrifice my bumper at the same time.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Sir ffeJ said:
Well I just heard from Setina about how the bar mounts. They sent me the install instructions specific for the trailblazer and I must say, I'm thoroughly not pleased on how it mounts. The instructions say you have to cut(yes I said cut) four slots into the bumper fascia to mount it. Well that blows, why would I want to ruin a perfectly good($100 plus)bumper just to mount this bar. If I wanted to remove it and sell the truck or something like that. I would have four slot cuts in the fascia of the bumper.

I figured with a price like $400 plus dollars, I wouldn't have to sacrifice my bumper at the same time.

if you want it to push cars, you gotta secure it to something solid, that's why you have to cut holes. otherwise, I think the grille guards don't require cutting but get bent to shit trying to push.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Could get one of those "Super Mall-Crawler" ones that bolt underneath and wrap around under and up, needless to say up toward the higher end of the bar a fundamental concept in physics called leverage takes a lot bigger role.

I thought I had read something about someone getting something like this which shares the holes with (or maybe replaces?) the tow hooks up on the front, rather than rolling under the bumper. Not sure that this is exactly ideal either, but hey. I personally see more of a cosmetic use than actual use for something like this, unless you go with the drilling holes in your bumper.

As for law enforcement wannabes, has its perks. A friend of mine had a plain white Grand Marquis (similar-looking relative to the ever-present Crown Victoria, but looks different enough). Was looking for someone in a small town 10 minutes from hometown, thought we saw them ducking out in the back of a car going down the road. Turn around to double-check, they hurry up and duck in to the nearest driveway thinking we were cops. :rotfl: Turns out there was just the 2 people up front, and both of them were very drunk.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
The WAAG grill guard does that -- mounting in through the holes beside the tow hooks. It also has a couple of small bars that lay across the top of the bumper and mount to the framework on either side of the radiator. Its good if you hit something straight-on, but the bottom mounts to the brackets that hold the radiator, and realistically, while its a good looking piece and can handle some light car-pushing, its not going to add anything significant structurally to your vehicle (I originally had a WAAG and took out a small tree while sliding sideways in a blizzard... then I had to repair the damage done by the pushbar getting ripped sideways).

If you want a real pushbar, you need a good solid bumper like BartonMD makes, with the pushbar welded or bolted directly to it. Or if you have more time than common sense, you can custom build your own bumper and pushbar like I did.. :rotfl:
9952-halloween-here.jpg

johndeereguy

Mar 9, 2014
What's up everyone I've got an older brush guard made by polar bear I got from my buddy. My only issue is I didn't get the mounts with the guard. I've tried looking online for the mounts and I cant find them any where. I checked the mounting on it and it basically mounts to where the center bushings are on the sway bar. It doesn't mount to the tow hooks or engine cradle. I was kind of hoping someone here has one of these brush guards or one similar and could possibly post me a pic or two of what the mounts are supposed to look like as I can make them. Or a website that I can just order them from that would be great...........

Jake Blazer

Mar 29, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I dont like the style and hate the loss in approach angle, but they work for some people.

I had a cheap version with the bolt on headlight protectors at one point and it was less than half that price shipped. I think 160 or 180ish.

I will make you any guard/bar that u want for any ride at a very low price.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Jake Blazer said:
I will make you any guard/bar that u want for any ride at a very low price.

Take a look at my build thread...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Could get one of those "Super Mall-Crawler" ones that bolt underneath and wrap around under and up, needless to say up toward the higher end of the bar a fundamental concept in physics called leverage takes a lot bigger role.

Hey while I may be more mall cruiser than some, I do at least offroad from time to time. I have also only hit it on ground twice.

johndeereguy said:
What's up everyone I've got an older brush guard made by polar bear I got from my buddy. My only issue is I didn't get the mounts with the guard. I've tried looking online for the mounts and I cant find them any where. I checked the mounting on it and it basically mounts to where the center bushings are on the sway bar. It doesn't mount to the tow hooks or engine cradle. I was kind of hoping someone here has one of these brush guards or one similar and could possibly post me a pic or two of what the mounts are supposed to look like as I can make them. Or a website that I can just order them from that would be great...........

Only thing I found was on the OS, and the person had to order them from the manufacturer. IIRC they said $60-$70 for the mounts.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Take a look at my build thread...

I can't, it makes me was to buy stuff.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
IllogicTC said:
I thought I had read something about someone getting something like this which shares the holes with (or maybe replaces?) the tow hooks up on the front, rather than rolling under the bumper. Not sure that this is exactly ideal either, but hey. I personally see more of a cosmetic use than actual use for something like this, unless you go with the drilling holes in your bumper.
That was me when I had first joined. If I could get my hands on a welder, I would make my own guard that would have a tube that sips in the RV slot and bolts to the RV bolt holes....if that makes sense...

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
Have any of you hear of or delt with MBD Fabrications for steel bumpers front n rear? I heard he now had kits you could weld together yourself as I want that up front with headlight guard and grill guard, lower plated as well an rear to moumt a spare. If not is there anybody else I want to get this done in June. I will be tearing it apart mid may and want to do all at once. I have 3 grand to start with since I got such a good deal. Any helpin this area would be great I looked for a forum but was old and not much there. Thanks.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Michael is a member here and on ORTB...great guy, trustworthy and knows his chit.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
MDB is the number 1 provided of steel offroad accessories for the platform and has multitudes of satisfied customers including myself.

diablo2184

Jan 25, 2015
Sir ffeJ said:
I'm not getting stainless for that reason and I don't like it. To bright. Black and I might also get it powder coated. I really don't like the look of a tb with the headlight grill covers. Looks to bulky.

But hay, each to their own. You like what you like and I like what I like.

i am looking for a push bar without these as well. still havent found a nice one i like

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The Hunter I formerly owned had removable headlight guards, but overall the thing was not great quality.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
diablo2184 said:
looked at the pic, but it doesnt look like it has mounts for a light bar or small flood lights.
You could easily drill some holes to mount lights where you want them, and possibly even run the wiring inside the bar, depending on how you wanted to route them.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
You could easily drill some holes to mount lights where you want them, and possibly even run the wiring inside the bar, depending on how you wanted to route them.
That's what I'd be doing. Every other bar that I've looked at requires you to notch out the bumper or fascia and they mount to the radiator mounts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online