Problems with 4WD Wiring?

skobie

Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Dear Roadie, Mooseman, et al.:

I'm sure there's others too, but you 2 guys seem to have a good handle on the chevy trailblazer drivetrain, specifically the transfer case and attached encoder motor for a 2003 chevy trailblazer ext LT I6.

I am getting C0327 code, which seems to be indicating a bad or open ground from the encoder motor to?. The 4-Hi and 4-Lo will work when I first start the car up, but never the A-4WD (like it's not even there). After driving awhile, the "Service 4-WD" light comes on and cannot shift into or out of any of these modes at all. So even if I've cleared the C0327 code, it will then come back up at this point. If I shut the car off awhile, system resets and can go thru the above again. Also getting a Loss of Class-II Communication with ATC (code U1026) and No State of Health from Module (U1000) codes.

Started a new thread because all other info on this subject does no seem to apply to my situation of course (encoder motor works, proper wheel(s) spin, fuses are all good, proper actuator motors are making their noises, TCCM and Switch have been replaced already, etc.). This is a new problem within the last week as I've used the 4WD several times already this season and I thought I had it licked because there was a broken wire near where the encoder motor plugs in to the wiring harness (4-WD would not engage at all and only got buzzing at the encoder motor, though selector switch said I was in A-4WD no matter where the knob was, but I was only in 2-Hi in actuality) that I fixed by bypassing the plug and just tying the wires together (orange wire I believe) and the system worked completely as designed for 2 days.

Question is:
1.) Can I just run a new ground from the plug at the encoder motor (bypassing the plug, but will be spliced in to the encoder motor wiring of course)?
2.) If so, and assuming it's the solid black wire coming out of the encoder motor, where do I ground it too (chassis, direct to battery, etc.) to see if that will work?
3.) If not either of the above, what do I test with my multimeter to tell me which wire or wires are bad from the encoder motor as my scantool will give me P and C codes, but won't get more specific than that for diagnosis?
4.) Should I just replace the whole wiring harness if even possible and not ridiculously complicated?
5.) Am I way off on all this and I need to do something else?

Sorry for all the questions at once, but I can't seem to find anything on the internet that pertains to my exact problem and I figure one of you guys will know what's wrong if explained to you properly. Feel free to ask follow-up questions, but that about sums it up for now.

skobie

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You won't get anything from Roadie. He's been inactive for a while now. There are others that are well versed on this system.

The ground could be flaky. Your solution won't fix any other system that may be using the same ground point. I would suggest that you check it and clean it up good. Check for continuity from ground point to the encoder connector.

If all that checks out, it could be the encoder motor that is failing internally, not looping the ground back to the TCCM when actuated, but that is pure speculation on my part according to the code you're receiving.

You might also want to check out our brother site OffRoadTB.
They have extensive knowledge of this system.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Take a look at the connectors just inside of the plate and see if you continuity through there as well. You should only have a 5V reference power to the TCCM not 12V.

skobie

Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I will try both of those things, Mooseman. Do I assume the encoder motor grounds directly to the chassis? I have a brand new encoder motor that does the same thing, so I don't believe that's it. I did not like the look of the ground wire that goes in to the wiring packet that the encoder motor plugs in to as it was a shiny copper look where I cut through it, but an oxidized looking dirty wire as I stripped it back and the other wires still looked like nice shiny copper when I stripped them back. Not sure why that was, but I didn't like it. I had already polished up my 2 chassis grounds and re-connected them by the way.

I will also check the voltage at the TCCM, djthumper. When you say the "connectors just inside the plate", what plate are you talking about?

Kind Regards,
skobie

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Saw your post on ORTB, but it seems you are getting some good data here. Give those ideas a try .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online