Pre-wired harness for power folding mirrors mod?

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
Hi,

I have a set of power folding mirrors and found that my TB has a mirror switch with power folding logo on it but mirrors are manual, while searching for a way to do it i came across this old thread on how to do it:

There's a comment by @Blckshdw showing how he did it though it requires a lot of skill and understanding of how electrical circuits work which is very advanced for my spaghetti noddle brain.

I'm really looking forward to do this mod and I'm hoping to find a guide on how to do it step by step or maybe a pre-wired kit, it can be either pre or custom made.

Much appreciated.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Wow, that thread really takes me down memory lane. After a few years, the motors in both mirrors went dead, so they are basically stock mirrors again as far as the folding feature goes.

You won't find a plug and play harness, only a few members actually tried this mod, and like posted in the other thread, in order to make that worthwhile, the price point would need to be fairly high, and there wasn't that much demand for it back when the platform was much more popular.

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
Wow, that thread really takes me down memory lane. After a few years, the motors in both mirrors went dead, so they are basically stock mirrors again as far as the folding feature goes.

You won't find a plug and play harness, only a few members actually tried this mod, and like posted in the other thread, in order to make that worthwhile, the price point would need to be fairly high, and there wasn't that much demand for it back when the platform was much more popular.
I understand but do you think you'd able to guide me through it? Parts, Relay wiring and such. My plan is to use the oem switch to fold and extend only, I'd skip using it with the ignition ON and OFF.

I mean i could follow your write up on the old thread but there are many steps aren't mentioned there that require enough electrical knowledge to figure out by yourself, the knowledge of which i don't have unfortunately.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I understand but do you think you'd able to guide me through it? Parts, Relay wiring and such. My plan is to use the oem switch to fold and extend only, I'd skip using it with the ignition ON and OFF.

I mean i could follow your write up on the old thread but there are many steps aren't mentioned there that require enough electrical knowledge to figure out by yourself, the knowledge of which i don't have unfortunately.

Yeah that was pretty much the reason I posted it that way. It wasn't an easy undertaking, and if you don't understand what's happening, or supposed to happen, when something stops working you'll be at a loss of where to start troubleshooting unless you can think it through.

It's really one of those "learn to walk, before you try to run" scenarios. There are a lot of videos and resources that will teach you about electronics and components. I had zero knowledge about any of that stuff when I first joined the forum but managed to learn enough that it became my favorite type of modding to do on my truck.

Once you start learning the little things, you'll be surprised at the number of other doors that start opening for you. My best piece of advise, regarding this particular project, is to learn how the 2 types of relays work, and how to read schematics/wiring diagrams, so you can understand what the schematic in this post is saying. :book:

Whew, this thread has been dead for a hot minute! My previous setup has worked great for many years, but I've had to make a couple of minor changes to the logic since then. For those who are comfortable designing circuits, the changes are minor, but for everyone else... I finally got around to making a proper schematic, although the ones that @cameeks and @jpinoy made were great!

I added a kill switch to stop the auto folding feature, and for some reason my OEM mirror switch wasn't pushing enough juice to run the mirrors, especially when the alternator wasn't running, so I added two more 5 pin relays tied to 12V, and used the mirror switch signals to trigger those relays instead.

So here's the parts list, and schematic for my current setup. (some of the wire colors aren't showing up very well, couldn't find a way to thicken the lines in the software :frown:)

Diodes: 5
5 Pin relays: 3
DPDT relays: 2
DEI 528T timer relays: 2
Kill switch: modder's choice, I used a momentary push button
Connectors: modder's choice

Power%20Folding%20Mirror%20Logic%203.0.jpg

Reactions: ghost_leader07

ghost_leader07

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
UAE
Yeah that was pretty much the reason I posted it that way. It wasn't an easy undertaking, and if you don't understand what's happening, or supposed to happen, when something stops working you'll be at a loss of where to start troubleshooting unless you can think it through.

It's really one of those "learn to walk, before you try to run" scenarios. There are a lot of videos and resources that will teach you about electronics and components. I had zero knowledge about any of that stuff when I first joined the forum but managed to learn enough that it became my favorite type of modding to do on my truck.

Once you start learning the little things, you'll be surprised at the number of other doors that start opening for you. My best piece of advise, regarding this particular project, is to learn how the 2 types of relays work, and how to read schematics/wiring diagrams, so you can understand what the schematic in this post is saying. :book:
Great advice! I mean I'm in no rush to get this mod working at the moment, I'll used them as manual folding for now and try to learn how to read schematics 'cause it is what terrifies me the most when i look at them. :bonk:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online