PowerStop brake kit from RockAuto

kkeo211

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
I'm looking into getting the PowerStop brake kit for my 03 Envoy but I'm wondering if other members have used this kit before and for any opinions. I don't need anything heavy duty as this is a daily driver in normal driving conditions. Just something decent and will last a while.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4662681&cc=1415269

The front kit seems reasonably priced (set of rotors and pads) at $82 compared to the getting rotors at Autozone $39x2 for the cheapest rotor and 40 bucks for the gold pads .

Thanks for any help.

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
I have Powerstop all the way around on mine. No issues at all. I believe I paid $130 - 160 for the whole kit. A lot of members use the Brakemotive kit as well. All personal preference.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I went with the Prime Choice drilled n Slotted rotors and ceramic pads off Ebay. They have been excellent so far.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I installed the drilled and slotted powerstop al around last time . So far all is good and they seem good. Not to many miles on them yet. Almost 40000 km on them so about 24000miles and they are working fine.

kkeo211

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
I might just go with the powerstop setup. So far, brakemotive only has listing for Rear brakes.

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
I would just buy the parts individually from rockauto. You can get ac-delco pads for $26 and some Ultra brand slotted rotors for $17 a piece. That's only $60 plus shipping and you can use a 5% off coupon code, just have to google search to find a code.

I looked at the powerstop kits when searching for my mother's car and found it to be not such a bargain.

I would only suggest not buying rotors from Wagner. I bought a set from Advance Auto and one had a pit/hole in the braking surface. I had Advance ship me another and the new one had identical pit in a different spot. I emailed Wagner/ Federal Mogul and after about two weeks the final result was an email stating the pit was caused by gas bubbles during casting. Followed by the sentence "Wagner does not manufacture these rotors."

I have never bought rotors with gas bubble pits in them before, I figure that is what quality control is for. To be fair, the Wagner thermoquite pads are descent.

Meiznac

Feb 21, 2013
i have the front and rear powerstop x-drilled and slotted rotors with z16 pads together with the red powdercoated calipers, was nice at the beginning.
not even a year after they start squealing like brakes on a bus.
my front pads are almost gone.

Reactions: loondog33

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
loondog33 said:
I would just buy the parts individually from rockauto. You can get ac-delco pads for $26 and some Ultra brand slotted rotors for $17 a piece. That's only $60 plus shipping and you can use a 5% off coupon code, just have to google search to find a code.

I looked at the powerstop kits when searching for my mother's car and found it to be not such a bargain.

I would only suggest not buying rotors from Wagner. I bought a set from Advance Auto and one had a pit/hole in the braking surface. I had Advance ship me another and the new one had identical pit in a different spot. I emailed Wagner/ Federal Mogul and after about two weeks the final result was an email stating the pit was caused by gas bubbles during casting. Followed by the sentence "Wagner does not manufacture these rotors."

I have never bought rotors with gas bubble pits in them before, I figure that is what quality control is for. To be fair, the Wagner thermoquite pads are descent.
I believe you get what you pay for. $17 for rotors sounds like poor quality to me.......

These are very high quality brakes, don't cheap out on the most important thing in your vehicle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-Callahan-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-Quiet-Ceramic-Pads-5-Pass-/300660466129?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ATrailblazer&hash=item4600c2a1d1&vxp=mtr

BO_CompareRotorsANDPads.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think getting what you pay for is bull most of the time. You pay for a name and their advertising and crap that does not make a better product

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think getting what you pay for is bull most of the time. You pay for a name and their advertising and crap that does not make a better product
Let's agree to disagree. Stereo systems...maybe, food...maybe, clothes?.....definitely, car parts?..nah you get what you pay for. IMO

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I can tell you from experience that's bull. I run cheap parts all the time on multiple vehicles and last better than most. Car parts are some of the worst. Moog and cheap eBay parts are identical side by side in many cases. Seen and felt myself. Same crap but you pay for name.

Reactions: JamesL3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I call BS. I have brought and tried some CCC and lesser known parts and they do not last. I am cheap and tried them and the following have failed me:
- hubs (including Raybestos which were made in China, were the worst)
- fuel pumps/senders
- brakes (mostly warping rotors, also fast pad wear)
- alternators
- tie rods and ball joints (yeah, I`m that crazy!)

But, these are the ones that did work and/or lasted:
- radiator
- headlight housing (but it has started checking and micro cracking after 3 years)

Again, I`m giving cheaper products a try with the Powerstop brakes. I bought a full set for my son's Prelude and fronts for my TB. Why? Because even ACDelco, that are also made in China, have warped on me so why throw good money at something I will have to replace anyway? I have to get lucky someday, right?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I probably wouldn't get the $17 rotors either, but I'm sure the powerstop combo rotors are junk too. So at least you'd have better pads with the crappy rotors vs. questionable powerstop pads and rotors. I could be wrong about powerstop, maybe they're quality?

Although, I recently bought Wagner rotors to go along with thermo quite pads, and like Hardtrailz was saying, they were just packaged chinese crap with Wagner sticker on the box. The pads are alright but have a coating on the back that peels then the pads starts to squeak.

A lot of companies pull the old switch a roo, the old name on a box trick. In most cases you get what you pay for, but in other cases you just get ripped off. I typically replace with products that get fair reviews here on the site and haven't been let down yet.

Like how the conversation picked up quickly there for a bit. :thumbsup:

Sorry repeated myself there, but it's gone now.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Parts may look the same on the outside, but may not be hardened. Also a lot of times the no name companies buy the factory seconds that didn't pass QC from bigger names and sell them under their name. Whether you believe it or not at some point your luck will run out with cheap parts. Try running a shop for 5 years and see how much warranty work you do with cheap parts. They do not save you money in the long run.

Reactions: loondog33

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Keep wasting money...more cheap parts for me.

I do read reviews first on anything I buy. I do ridiculous amounts of reading and research. I am also willing to put my money where my mouth is and try things. Most work but sometimes you end up with junk like the highly reviewed treadwright tires that almost got me to sell my truck.

I replace hubs yearly as maintenance and still have spent less than if I bought the timkens I keep seeing people talk about failing recently. I know they may not be exactly as good but I know I will never waste money on expensive hubs on anything I own.

I love saving money short term and long term!

Reactions: JamesL3 and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.