P1481 code??

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Sound started this morning and I thought the fan clutch went.

I replaced the fan clutch today...twice. Each time with a different brand. First replacement was a brand new Dorman. Did not fix it so I returned it thinking that it was defective. Switched to a brand new Carquest. Nope...still sounds like I'm driving a jet engine.

Took the front fuse cover off and switched #45 & 46 relays. Did not work.

Unplugged the fan clutch with the engine running and I can hear the clutch clicking each time, so I know it's making a good connection.

Still a jet engine sound. The fan will not disengage and I keep getting a P1481 code.

Anything I should look for or try next??

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe your fan harness in the vehicle has a problem.

I'll try to trace it tomorrow to see where it goes, but not really sure what could have happened to it as it was just sitting overnight. No rain, cold weather, ...nothing except a typical 62 degree November night in Florida with low humidity. Can't really understand what could have gone wrong...??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you saying that when you unplug the fan clutch, it freewheels and clicks? It does take a few minutes for the clutch to loosen up when first started.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
So you saying that when you unplug the fan clutch, it freewheels and clicks? It does take a few minutes for the clutch to loosen up when first started.

It doesn't "freewheel" when unplugged. It just clicks, while making a continuous sound. The sound is there, regardless of what I do. It just cannot be a faulty 2nd (brand new)fan clutch, right??

I started it this evening while the engine was cold and the sound did NOT start until about 4-6 seconds into idling. Then, jet engine all-the-way afterwards.

I'm stumped....

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@djthumper has the right idea here... and this TSB points to where this problem's cause and origin have been identified in the past... and explain How to do the Bench Top Repair:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/h...013900_2002_Chevrolet_Trailblazer_P1484_a.pdf

Because this Electrical Harness is a Discontinued Part... Finding it at the usual GM Parts Outlets like gmpartsdirect may prove difficult. However... this link will show various vendors who are still carrying the item.

http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/89024920.html

If not... Harbor Freight sells a decent and inexpensive "Heat Shrink Seal Insulation Kit" that would allow you to manually re-build and re-solder the harness at the locations that have shorted out by excessive friction and use the harness on the newest unit. More than likely... you still have your Old Electro-Viscous Fan from you previous replacement and so that unit can also be a source to salvage the harness from and apply it to the new EV Fan Motor. Good Luck...

Last edited:

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I did not keep the original fan clutch.

As for the new harness technique; Does that apply for "two" brand new fan clutch units? Each had thrown a code within seconds after starting.

The Carquest FC was actually removed from the factory's box. I watched it myself as the employee was matching it up with what I carried in. It's also the one that's currently installed.

Heading out in a few minutes to try and trace the harness (from the FC) to see if something happened in the wiring.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Okay, had my nose under the hood and found the following attachments.
Anyone know what harness is located under the hood, right next to the fusebox on the inner fender? Looks like a squirrel might have had some fun here.

Wire is a fresh cut. No corrosion buildup on it's ends, so I'm heading out now to do some wiring surgery, and HOPE that it fixes the problem.

I'll tape up any other wires that are exposed also.

Attachments

• 20161127_095014.jpg
    20161127_095014.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20161127_095239.jpg
    20161127_095239.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: mrrsm

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
unplug the harness and check the electrical parameters of the connections (ie. voltage and / or resistance). There is a 5 v supply sent along with common / ground, irrc.... with just key on.

PS... oops I just see you found the problem... maybe

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
... And here I was, about to tell you to say "to hell with it" and do an e-fan conversion... :tongue:

I know the outside air temp sensor wires run through that harness, so it's not a stretch for the fan control wiring to be there as well. Hopefully that's all it is and a little triage will get things right again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely fix those up but when it's unplugged, it should freewheel after a while and should only be locked on startup while the silicone redistributes itself. Dorman is junk and who knows who made the Carquest (probably Dorman or some offshore junk). Hayden is the best quality vs. price.

Reactions: hockeyman

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
It was only the one gray wire that was damaged and it's repaired now.

After repairing the wire and starting the engine, the problem was still there. It was difficult to turn the fan blades with the engine off. I took it for a ride (pissed off) and the noise suddenly began to go away after about 1/4 mile. Once home, I shut the engine off again and the fan was much easier to turn. It's not completely free-spinning, but it is a noticeable difference compared to before.

... And here I was, about to tell you to say "to hell with it" and do an e-fan conversion... :tongue:

I might have considered that if today's project fell-through. I was even thinking of "fixing it" with some explosives. :mad:

Dorman is junk and who knows who made the Carquest (probably Dorman or some offshore junk). Hayden is the best quality vs. price.

The Carquest FC is sold through Advance Auto, but I'm not sure if it's a re-brand or Hong Kong Special. It's literally $1 more than Dorman. Probably the same, but I'm done with buying better quality replacement parts for this truck. All I'd be doing is giving the better parts to a salesman once it's traded in. I've been looking at both new and used pickups / SUV's recently, and every repair brings me closer and closer to a decision.

Oh, and I'll give my verdict on Squirrel Soup if and when I catch that little bastard!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah well, then the initial roar is normal as I explained above.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Ah well, then the initial roar is normal as I explained above.

Yeah, I knew that was normal, but haven't really heard the sound much in recent weeks. Maybe the wire was holding on by a thread and the cold startup on Saturday morning was too much for it.

Anyhow, I lightly sprayed some ghost pepper sauce on a few wires-harness' under the hood where the critter has left tracks. We're in the dry season now and the closest watering-hole is the lake out back....where Hawks & 'Gators lurk!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online