Only getting 160 miles on 25gal tank

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
Ok, copy. I didn't see that tire, my bad.

Here are the vacuum ports, most SWB models don't have vacuum from the port on the intake, your LWB should.

The TB connector has a small tab protruding, push it down then pull from TB
Cool. So just disconnect it and tell u what the rpms are? Or do i need a gauge?

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Update time... Went to see littleblazer today.

Filled up before leaving, drove 46 miles, topped off on arrival. Burned 4.6 gallons (AC off). Littleblazer calculated about 9.8mpg (hwy).

gmcman said:
I would check your intake manifold bolts, and let us know what your vacuum is at idle. There's a molded hose at the base of the throttle body and is a good test point.
Littleblazer checked the vacuum pressure and said its good. Checked the manifold and tightened a loose bolt. No other issues were noticeable. We are now both suspecting PCM or Injector issues...

I drove 40 miles on the return trip and topped off again. Burned 3.127 gallons. I calculated 12.8mpg (no AC, about 85% hwy). Improvement, but still far from good.

Sparky said:
Next time you're on the highway take note of the RPM. With 3.42 gears and the stock tire size you should be around 2000 RPM IIRC
Around 2000 RPM @ 75MPH...

gmcman said:
If you want to test the TCC and it's lockup function, get the truck at a cruise...about 50 to 60 mph on flat ground, steady cruise...don't lift your foot from the gas pedal. Reach over with you other foot and tap the brake pedal to turn the brake light on, this will unlock the TCC and you should see the RPM rise about 200 RPM. May be easier to do in 3rd, you will get TCC lock in 3rd as well.
Confirmed. RPM jumped a few hundred when done at 75MPH...

@littleblazer...Thanx for the help homie! I really appreciate you taking the time out to look at the truck...

And thank you EVERYBODY here on this thread trying to help me thru this headache...!!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I tried searching through your thread, didn't see anything about it but, did you check or replace your CPAS? Got reminded of this in another thread.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Mooseman said:
I tried searching through your thread, didn't see anything about it but, did you check or replace your CPAS? Got reminded of this in another thread.
Ummm,you've got to break that down for me Mooseman... Im not as well versed as you guys with the technicals and acronyms.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
pcharm129 said:
Ummm,you've got to break that down for me Mooseman... Im not as well versed as you guys with the technicals and acronyms.
Camshaft position actuator solenoid. On the pass side of engine kinda behind the ps reservoir. Goes into the head.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I can confirm that it is plugged in and wires weren't frayed to where the tape starts. Sound wise, I don't know what a bad one sounds like. It seemed fine.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Mooseman said:
Yes i changed it already. Was some oil in there...

Tiggerr said:
Camshaft position actuator solenoid. On the pass side of engine kinda behind the ps reservoir. Goes into the head.
Thanx Tiggerr...

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Success on the security relearn for the PCM. Truck started and drove a bit. Now, im hoping its not just wishful thinking but i think there's a little more bite on the take off. Just filled up, so i'll let the thread kno if anything changes with the mpg.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Sib

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think we're all interested in finding this as it may help a lot with their mileage issues or at least prevent them.

We are standing by...

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
No good fellas. Calculated 7.8 mpg. Its actually an IMPROVEMENT of about 1 point something mpg from before. I think the improvement came from littleblazer tightening up that manifold bolt though. And to be honest, i was driving REALLY hard for the test. So im sure the numbers would be a tiny bit better had i gone a little easier. Nothing drastic though. So...still up the creek with no paddle...smh

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What was the vacuum reading when you all did the test? You can't go out and hammer it and look for decent MPG's.

Fill it up, take it on a road trip, then top it off and then calculate MPG's....and drive easy. :smile:

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
What was the vacuum reading when you all did the test? You can't go out and hammer it and look for decent MPG's.

Fill it up, take it on a road trip, then top it off and then calculate MPG's....and drive easy. :smile:
No actual meter was used. More of a knowledae and expertise thing. And I'll do another test...and take it a bit easier this time...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
pcharm129 said:
No actual meter was used.
I'm not doubting anyone's knowledge, but you can't really guess a vacuum reading....14 inches and 17 inches will sound almost identical, let alone any fluctuations.

If you had a loose manifold bolt, chances are there could be another vacuum issue elsewhere.

This is basically to check for any sticking valves or unmetered air.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well, the sticking valves should've been ruled out during the compression test. IIRC the vaccum reading on torque was a little low. But I don't remember...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Best way to check vacuum is a separate gauge, also you can check for needle fluctuations.

You want a rock steady needle, any vibrations or fluctuations will tell if you have a valve issue based on severity of the fluctuations.

These engines tend to pull on average 19 inches or more in a healthy state.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
pcharm129 said:
Ok. Did the vacuum test today.
attachicon.gif
20150710_111126.jpg

No fluxuation. Just tiny bit of needle jitter.
Is that a reliable gauge? Looks like almost 23" and that's kinda high but not that it's a bad thing. Is that gauge on a Mityvac? If the needle vibrates back and forth that would likely indicate intake valves not fully seating.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
Is that a reliable gauge? Looks like almost 23" and that's kinda high but not that it's a bad thing. Is that gauge on a Mityvac? If the needle vibrates back and forth that would likely indicate intake valves not fully seating.
Yes guage is reliable. Dont know the brand. It belonged to the garage. The needle vibrations were VERY minimal. Thought twice about even mentioning it. Like isaid, slight jitter...

Update: Upgraded to Corvette servo today. I think it may have DECREASED the acceleration, since i swapped the PCM. Not sure yet. TBD...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Mooseman said:
Another direction to possibly look at. One member replaced his fuel pressure regulator and seems to have improved power and MPG.

You didn't mention if you replaced yours and if you checked the pressure, it would just be at idle, not easy while driving. May be worth a look.
I didnt replace my FPR, just the filter (during the early stages of this problem). The old one was actually fine, but did it anyway. I did check the pressure from the filter line and it was great. 60 if i recall correctly. It was text book whatever it was. I remember THAT. Do i have to do another pressure test from under the hood? At the regulator?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
pcharm129 said:
Do i have to do another pressure test from under the hood? At the regulator?
No, unfortunately after the test port there is no way to verify pressure at the injectors. I did notice the FPR just doesn't flow fuel openly, it takes pressure to overcome the regulator.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
No, unfortunately after the test port there is no way to verify pressure at the injectors. I did notice the FPR just doesn't flow fuel openly, it takes pressure to overcome the regulator.
So what do you think? Am i changing the regulator?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Before you throw down $$$ on a FPR, I would first go get a can of BG 44K, it's about 20 to 25 bucks, fill up, and I can't remember but if you haven't changed your fuel filter yet, do so.

Double check the manifold bolts, the one in front is a slight pain to get to but be sure to check all of them....I think there's 10 bolts.....1 then 2, then 1, then 2 etc...this is real important.

The fact your needle is anything other than rock steady, except minute movement when the TB controls idle, tells me the intake valves are gunked up...the 44K will help this real quick. Even though you used Techron, get some 44K.

Then after that tank let's reevaluate but you have to drive easy, you can't lead foot it....driving like a grandma should get you about 15 mpg in the city/hwy.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I don't know if I missed it, but along with a specific pressure, there is also a spec for the volume of gas required in a certain amount of time.

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I will say when I replaced mine I could tell the difference right away. Response was smoother, acceleration was more linear.

Could very well be a FPR issue. I just don't like spending other peoples money if I'm not sure, mainly because of the price.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
I will say when I replaced mine I could tell the difference right away. Response was smoother, acceleration was more linear.

Could very well be a FPR issue. I just don't like spending other peoples money if I'm not sure, mainly because of the price.
I fully understand that. Well, im planning to head out to PA this week and hit up a few U-Pull-It yards. Maybe i can find a FPR. If not. I saw some on Ebay for around $55.

Tranny Servo Update: Don't like it. Truck seems to accelerate slower than before the swop. Think im gonna put the old servo back in...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Before you take the drive, stop by a dealer or shop that you know sells it, and put a can of 44K in there.

As far as the trans kit, that should have no bearing on your acceleration...I don't see how it would unless you're starting off in 2nd.

Put selector in 2nd from a stop and see if it changes.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
As far as the trans kit, that should have no bearing on your acceleration...I don't see how it would unless you're starting off in 2nd.

Put selector in 2nd from a stop and see if it changes.
Just tried it. Slow as a snail...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If you put it in drive and from a start, get to 3K RPM and are traveling about 40 MPH with no shift....then it's starting in 2nd.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
If you put it in drive and from a start, get to 3K RPM and are traveling about 40 MPH with no shift....then it's starting in 2nd.
I dont want the Mods to stab me in the knee with a spork (😁), so i wont belabor this servo issue. Just wanted to make my results known since it was a proferred solution to a possible symptom, mentioned earlier in this thread. It did shift. But after i changed the PCM, but before the Servo change, it felt like she got a little quicker on the low end. After the Servo change it feels like the zip has disappeared.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The corvette servo adds more surface area to the apply piston resulting in more force on the clutch, quicker and firmer shift, this should not affect your acceleration.

What did you do when you replaced the servo? Did you reuse the old pin? If not, did you make sure the length was the same on the new pin? Did you get all the seals installed correctly?

Could be coincidence with the PCM change. Did you get a CASE relearn? If not, does anyone know if not having a CASE relearn would affect performance?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
pcharm129 said:
I dont want the Mods to stab me in the knee with a spork (), so i wont belabor this servo issue.
We are kinder, gentler Mods. We use a spoon :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have any codes present?

If that were my truck, I would want to know the combustion chamber is clean....that's what the 44K is for.

After that, we can further diagnose. Just the fact you said the vacuum needle was vibrating, even just ablittle, tells me that there's a good chance the CC's are gunked up, so bad that it's getting under the valves.

Maybe not, but there's really not much else to try aside of a seafoam/ top engine cleaning or water injection but that's not the best choice if you're not careful.

Of there's alot of carbon built up, your timing could be getting retarded alot, could also be the reason for poor acceleration.

BG 44K has the strongest chemicals you can get over the counter....I'm 99% sure on that.

pcharm129

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
gmcman said:
The corvette servo adds more surface area to the apply piston resulting in more force on the clutch, quicker and firmer shift, this should not affect your acceleration.

What did you do when you replaced the servo? Did you reuse the old pin? If not, did you make sure the length was the same on the new pin? Did you get all the seals installed correctly?

Could be coincidence with the PCM change. Did you get a CASE relearn? If not, does anyone know if not having a CASE relearn would affect performance?
Professional install at tranny shop. No case relearn. 1 code for rear ABS sensor. Used Seafoam through Brake Booster hose already (No Smoke).

Update: This past Friday, refilled after lit fuel light. Odometer was 201.7; fill up took 22.947 gal; approx 8.8mpg (mixed driving. City/Hwy.). Left CT today with a fresh fill up. Drove 71.4 miles (Hwy), topped off, burned 5.103 gal; approx 14mpg at an almost consistant leisurely cruise controlled 65mph (No AC)...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
pcharm129 said:
Professional install at tranny shop. No case relearn.
The servo or PCM?

The PCM would need a CASE relearn.

Do you have a check engine light illuminated?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online