ok, I'm useless with the laptop and phone...can't post pics

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Alright then.... I've had a few bevi's so I thought I'd ask for help now. I've tried to figure this out since the upgrade but can't. I haven't been able to post any pics, they around 2-4 mb size I think. When I use the attachment button it says they failed uploading? They pics are in my pics file in laptop. Also tried pressing image button and it ask for URL? I don't know what URL is. I never had issues before the upgrade. What am I doing wrong? Sorry guys I'm older n not very tech savvy at all...

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
I had a similar problem and I found I had to make a new album/gallery to upload general photos to first. Then you can "add" them into a post by using the insert photo button.

Like I said you have to upload them to "your gallery" or album first then you can select them for inserting into a post.

At least this is what I found worked for me.

Good luck.

update:

Okay so here is how I got this to post.

First I uploaded the picture to my gallery. When I selected the "insert photo" button I got the url thing too....so Then I selected "My media" and found the picture.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:173]

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
sawicksted said:
I had a similar problem and I found I had to make a new album/gallery to upload general photos to first. Then you can "add" them into a post by using the insert photo button.

Like I said you have to upload them to "your gallery" or album first then you can select them for inserting into a post.

At least this is what I found worked for me.

Good luck.

update:

Okay so here is how I got this to post.

First I uploaded the picture to my gallery. When I selected the "insert photo" button I got the url thing too....so Then I selected "My media" and found the picture.
Still doesn't work.....can't post pics. Thanks tho,

Upvote 0

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You should use any of a hundred different apps to reduce their size to 1024X768 pixels, or anything smaller than what you have now. Then they should attach just fine.

A "URL" is a Universal Resource Locator, a geek term for "web address". The thingie you most often see with an "http" in front of it. To use that kind of image link, you have to get the picture off your PC and hosted (stored) somewhere like photobucket. When you upload pictures to a photo storage site, they will give you the URL to link to any of your pictures. Copy that and paste it in to the box on the image posting link. That requires a bit of savvy. Got any kids to ask how?

Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Photos to be used in the forums should NOT be uploaded to your gallery unless you are providing a link to something actually belongs in the gallery. If you want to attach an image to a post, it must meet the size and file type formats, and you can "attach" it when you're creating your post. You have to use the "Full Editor" or "More Reply Options" buttons to access the full editor that allows uploads. Most of you use the "Quick Reply" box embedded in the thread, and that's why we don't like offering that option... it creates more confusion than anything.

Reactions: Camdo and CaptainKD
Upvote 0

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
Alright then.... I've had a few bevi's so I thought I'd ask for help now. I've tried to figure this out since the upgrade but can't. I haven't been able to post any pics, they around 2-4 mb size I think. When I use the attachment button it says they failed uploading? They pics are in my pics file in laptop. Also tried pressing image button and it ask for URL? I don't know what URL is. I never had issues before the upgrade. What am I doing wrong? Sorry guys I'm older n not very tech savvy at all...
Open your pictures one at a time in your editing software/program, then save them as a jpg, typically this will make your file size smaller and not your picture...

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I just changed my phone to lowest res and took a pic, saved to my laptop, size is 321kb, still can't attach it. It says upload failed.

Thanks for input, I'll mess around with it more later...

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For Windows computers, the absolute best tool for reducing pics is Image Resizer for Windows . It's an old Windows XP Powertoy that has been modified to work with all newer versions of windows. Right click>resize image. That's it.

Reactions: Denali n DOO
Upvote 0

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I just changed my phone to lowest res and took a pic, saved to my laptop, size is 321kb, still can't attach it. It says upload failed.

Install tapatalk app on your cell.... you can upload that way...

Reactions: dmanns67
Upvote 0

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
KNBlazer said:
I just use paint...
Paint is not very good at reducing file sizes. You have to remember that everyone has a limited amount of global space on the forums. If you use it up, you will not be able to upload ANYTHING. We don't have unlimited disk space, and additional disk space is costly.

Upvote 0

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Jman423 said:
Paint is not very good at reducing file sizes. You have to remember that everyone has a limited amount of global space on the forums. If you use it up, you will not be able to upload ANYTHING. We don't have unlimited disk space, and additional disk space is costly.
What I do is open in paint...
select all...
click on resize 50%...
save as...
drop down menu "jpg"...
and save....

Upvote 0

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I always use Microsoft Office 2010 picture viewer to reduce image size and file size. It has options for compressing an image for e-mail messages, web pages, and documents.

Reactions: CaptainKD
Upvote 0

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Denali n DOO said:

It could be the size of the picture still. Not the file size but the dimensions of the picture, that's what everyone is talking about by resizing the picture.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Generally I use 1024x768 (or 1280x720 since my phone takes pics in 16x9 format) for forum uploads.

I also have a photobucket account I use for most stuff. I started that before the forums I was on at the time really allowed much in the way of direct uploads, and have kept using it.

Upvote 0

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Tapatalk probably resizes them on it's own then. If you were to transfer them from your phone to a computer they'd probably still be pretty large but might still pass the requirements.

Reactions: dmanns67
Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's two things to using Tapatalk. First, it uses its own storage for the picture and adds a link to it in the post automatically. The risk here is that if Tapatalk disappears or decides to cut the links, we're left with no pics (similar to what happens with image storage sites). Second, what Tapatalk might do is upload the entire full sized picture to their server and then reduces it there, using your data, which can be important if you have a data limit.

I just transfer the pictures to my computer and then right click>resize images (you can select multiple files). Too easy.

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I see this at the bottom of reply after I click "more reply options" What does it mean? It says uploading not allowed...

You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 16MB)
Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)

Upvote 0

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I see this at the bottom of reply after I click "more reply options" What does it mean? It says uploading not allowed...

You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 16MB)
Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)
what I see is that your picture is TOO big, you need to make it smaller... what type of computer do you have? Apple, Windows 7, XP, Vista, Windows 8?

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
KNBlazer said:
what I see is that your picture is TOO big, you need to make it smaller... what type of computer do you have? Apple, Windows 7, XP, Vista, Windows 8?
Windows 7. I'v never had a problem before posting pics because they are too big. I even tried a 800 x 600 (500 KB) and it doesn't work. Not sure I can get much smaller than that. Did you see the size of the test pictures in the post whore thread posted yesterday?

I still don't know what this message means, it says in bold that uploading is not allowed. max file size 16MB. No one seems to know what it means, no replies at all? Do you get that message at the bottom or your reply page after you click more reply options button?

"You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 16MB)"

Lol, uploading not allowed must mean that I'm not allowed to upload...any size pics.

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't see a problem with your profile, an Admin may be able to see more than I can. Have you looked to see what version of flash you are running and try the flash uploader?

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
djthumper said:
I don't see a problem with your profile, an Admin may be able to see more than I can. Have you looked to see what version of flash you are running and try the flash uploader?
I must need a newer flash version, I had tried with what I have and it wouldn't give me any options to reply with at all. I'll try find a newer version and then try posting again.

Thanks.

CaptainKD is gonna try post a couple my pics here too.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Try putting your photos in a different location than your "my pictures" folder. I had problems with mine as it was kind of locked. On Windows, try the Windows Image Resizer I posted above before trying to upload. Always worked for me and super simple.

Upvote 0

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
Denali n DOO and I went through the entire photo upload process step by step and I personally think this is a forum software problem. I do not think it is a problem with file size, file dimension, internet browser, Mac vs. PC or anything else.

It seems, for some reason, his profile is set to not allow photo uploads.

Before he even chooses a file to upload within the Full Editor it displays a message:
"You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 16MB)"

When I go to upload a photo I receive the following message:
"You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size: 16MB)"

I would love if someone else were to post what it says for them when they go to upload a photo using the full editor.

When he continues with the process and selects a photo to upload and hits "Attach This File" is displays and error message: "Error This upload failed". My guess is that it is linked to the original message of Uploading is not Allowed.

Denali n DOO emailed me the following photos that he was having trouble uploading. They work perfectly fine for me.

File size: 3.37 MB
Photo Dimension: 3264x2448
View attachment 57229

File Size: 3.44 MB
Photo Dimension: 3624x2448
View attachment 57230

File Size: 3.09 MB
View attachment 57231

File Size: 3.12 MB
View attachment 57232

ADMINS PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not sure how to get to the full editor, I've did it before but can't find it now. But when I click "more reply options" it says " You can upload up to 500KB of files (Max. single file size: 500KB)"

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Denali, I put a support ticket in on it for you so we will see what they find out. Hopefully it is something that I don't have access to that can be easily fixed.

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Don't create a new account it will tag you as a potential spammer.

KNBlazer, in case you haven't noticed there is forum staff already working on this. Let us do our job in assisting him properly.

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
No change here...still the same :coffee:

Error This upload failed

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Lil progress, I just submitted a support ticket and in that reply I have no issues adding pics, it says 500 kb max file. But in forum threads and pm's it says uploading is not allowed. No issues with my laptop so it must be a forum issue. I'll wait and see what admin says.

Reactions: Mounce
Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
CaptainKD said:
Did you post a video in another thread Denali? Strange that you can post videos but not pics. :undecided:
Ya, no problem with videos I think because it's a youtube link. If the admins get this figured out it's gonna cost me some money. I know I won't be happy with the 500KB deal so I'd have to become a premium supporter to get the 16MB package. They gotta get the 500 thing working first tho.....

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, I don't seem to have issues and I'm not a premium supported neither.

Attachments

• swimmer.jpg
    swimmer.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mounce
Upvote 0

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
Denali n DOO said:
I know I won't be happy with the 500KB deal so I'd have to become a premium supporter to get the 16MB package.
I think I've exceeded my "Unlimited" limit :biggrin: - now I get the following.....
"You can upload up to 4.88MB of files (Max. single file size: 4.89MB)".

How can I upload a 4.89MB file if my limit is 4.88MB?

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
CaptainKD said:
I think I've exceeded my "Unlimited" limit :biggrin: - now I get the following.....
"You can upload up to 4.88MB of files (Max. single file size: 4.89MB)".

How can I upload a 4.89MB file if my limit is 4.88MB?
I think I'm more confused than ever :confused: That makes no sense...

I just found out that I can post pics in my gallery but still not in a thread. I also thought I was understanding these bits n bites numbers until I looked at the bites I was using. I added 3 pics in my gallery, pic #1 was 2.45 MB but message says used 201.76 KB of unlimited space, Pic #2 was 2.9 MB but says now used up 489.3 KB of unlimited space. Then I add pic #3 779 KB and it says I have now used 759.37 KB of unlimited space. That math doesn't make sense, the gallery must re size the pics automatically?

Yep....I'm more confused than ever :crazy:

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the server is automatically reducing the pics?

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
OK I am more confused by all of this now... Denali, try logging out of the forums and then logging in again just to refresh your login, don't even shut down the browser.

Upvote 0

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I tried logging out and signing in, no change, this is still the message;

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.