Off Road Setup help...

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Look under the truck. If there are coils on the rear axle you DO NOT have air suspension...if your vehicle info is right, you DO NOT have air suspension.

If you are ever going to lift it...the HD's wont cut it. I tried and ended up needing longer shocks with the lift.

View attachment 18025
I do have coils and there is the pic to prove :raspberry: SO NOW I'm getting the Info that I need longer shocks if I'm to lift..... Seriously!!! So now what shocks do I have to get to make the lift work. It would have been nice to have known this a tad earlyer.

Fill this out.

Brand of Shock
And the MFG item number

Attachments

• DSCF3597.jpg
    DSCF3597.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Just look at stylintrucks.com. and check out the shocks for lifts there or call them.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Skyjacker N8030 or H7030

Procomp ES3000

They are also listed in other threads and some of our build threads

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
Kinder gentler Roadie indeed...

There are several choices for shocks, BDS 5500/9500 is also an option. You're going to have to do a little reading, offroadtb (you don't even need to sign up, just read some) has a lot of discussions on rear shocks for the lifted crowd. I don't think any of that info has migrated over here yet. This is one of those things where you're going to need to pick one and try it out as theres no real "winner".

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wyle said:
It also depends on which lift kit you go with. Mark's 2.5" suspension lift, for example, is designed for OEM size shocks.

But you wont get full performance. The shocks will limit your travel, while usable, it has been repeatedly shown that with any lift on these trucks it is better to use longer shocks.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
But you wont get full performance. The shocks will limit your travel, while usable, it has been repeatedly shown that with any lift on these trucks it is better to use longer shocks.

Good to know. I was going by the current description on Mark's site (and vaguely wondering how that worked when other lifts ...).

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
If you want to use a brand for shocks other than those listed, simply use rear shocks for a late model Silverado/Avalanche/Random Full size with a 4" lift. They are all around 2" longer than stock TB shocks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
silvernclean said:
What is the stock shock length? (Estimate)

2 inches less than the tahoe lifted ones.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
silvernclean said:
What is the stock shock length? (Estimate)

~15" compressed; 23 3/8" fully extended (just measured my old stockers).

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:
SO NOW I'm getting the Info that I need longer shocks if I'm to lift..... Seriously!!!
Fill this out.

Brand of Shock
And the MFG item number

Seriously!!! you are going to complain about people helping you. Demanding information is the best way not to receive information.

By the references to your dad and your more basic questions on vehicle components I can infer you are younger, just learning and hungry to learn. But the best way to learn is read, read, read and read some more then find a local friend, buddy, neighbor that will teach you in a safe manner how to work on Trucks.

Go back and re-read the thread. The very first thread suggest you to get the White body shocks. So the very first thread tells you to get the long shocks. Now you could not gather this information from reading one statement. But you can take that one statement and then you could Google something like "white rear shocks for Trailblazer offroad" Then look for information about the Trailblazer. The third link would take you to an excellent page on another TB site called offroadTB.com OffRoad TB - View topic - ProComp Rear Shocks? 2.5" lift stock replacement?. Then use the information on that page to do the same thing. Do this over and over and google about each of the parts. What are the parts, what do they do, how do they modify the truck. By doing this you gather a plethora of knowledge and information about what parts work with what lifts and what parts to avoid. Google and Wiki are your friends. There are loads of intro mechanics books at the library. Grab a coffee or Mountain Dew take a Sat morning or even Sat night and start reading about suspensions, suspension loads and components.

You have mentioned one downfall for lifting a truck.. MPG. But have you though about the other negatives that may offset the positive. Your drivetrain and suspension will have additional angled force on it which causes additional wear. This causes other components to wear out earlier. You have to weight that against how much you will offroad and need a lift. You would be amazed and suprised at what these trucks can do without a lift.

Originally there were not that many options for lifting our truck. So the answer was easy. But now there are lots of options. You asked what is best. Well best is relative. So you need to use the information you receive to do additional research. You said now I need to get longer shocks. Well it depends. From what I have read the Bilstein HD's will work with the 2.5in mark lift unless you are at full articulation and then the shock goes into full extension which can be bad. But for every day driving and some offroad from what I have read it could be OK.

It appears that you are willing to learn and to do the work yourself which is good. But you need to have a healthy fear for mechanical objects and find a mentor. It has been mentioned before by HardTrailz but I don't know if you get it. A Coil over Strut or Coil over Shock is a bomb waiting to go off. Our trucks springs are very stiff. To remove them from the shock they have to be compressed to 2800 to 3200 pounds of pressure. I could calculate the force release that would be exerted but it is better to qualify it to you. If the spring were to release while you were over top of it. It would take your head clean off. Basically it is about the same force as if our truck were to hit you running 60 MPH.

Another option is to do the work take the Coil over Shock out and then take to a shop that will swap the spring onto your new shock. I priced it out recently and the cost was $30 for both fronts at a local shop by me. You can stand and wait it will take them 30 min max.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Since this is the OFFROAD forum, not the suspension forum, I assumed the OP's mission was OFFROADING. Encouraging the OP to get a local REAL-LIFE mentor is a critical step in becoming a safe and sane offroader. Not just for maintenance, but for the process of learning how to be a trail rider. Encouraging the OP to learn to use search engines and learn to read and absorb quickly on his own is something he should have learned in school and from an Internet-savvy mentor. Over at offroadtb.com, we EXPECT noobs to read the articles first, and there is no spoon-feeding allowed. I see a great correlation between folks who come to the forums unprepared and folks who are likely to show up for a trail ride unprepared. There is no room for unprepared parasites on dangerous trails. I might invite them to ride shotgun with me if they're teachable, but not their own vehicles. 'Nuff said for now.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No spare tire...no spare parts...no recovery equipment...but but but I gots a lift and wanna wheel!

Hopefully the OP does some of the suggested reading and doesn't end up like that.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Since this is the OFFROAD forum, not the suspension forum, I assumed the OP's mission was OFFROADING.
I figured since the OP's biggest concern was slapping on the HW, I would address that first and warn him about potential death while doing car maintenance.

But yes I would agree learning/development in all aspects of offroad need to be done. The vehicle prep work is just one aspect.

To the OP.
Roadie and HardTrailz are right and are trying to tell you that you could destroy your rig, get seriously hurt, or killed by doing the wrong thing while offroad. Even on a very easy course you could be in a world of hurt very quickly. I bet each of them could give you many ways how you could get hurt or killed.

Read about some of the things that they mention. Then find a offroad chapter/group in your area. If you REALLY want to learn people will take you in and help you. Then decide what level and type of offroading you want to do and read about how to setup your truck/gear/plan and emergency plan for that.

I do very little offroading only what is needed to get me to my hunting locations. But even I bring emergency gear, and emergency provisions. It is not a matter of if you will get into a sticky situation it is when and what will you have to deal with the problem.

Or maybe you just want a show truck.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Couple kids offroading right where we were got lucky and no one was hurt, but they sure coulda been...

AAA9.jpg

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have no clue how to respond to you Mr.roadie. I have no clue why we keep going round and round with this. Like I stated in Post #1 and I Quote
As my info to the left says I have an 02 TB Ltz 4x4 that I'm looking at makeing it more off road capable. The kinda off roading I'll be doing is mostly 2 tracking. Two things I'm gunna do to it is, More ground clearence and Moderately agressive tires. I'll probally add on to this list as I think of more stuff I want to do. Now should I upgrade the shocks, and Differentials? Seeing that I'm not seriouslyoffroading. Now this is going to be a daily driver as well so I really don't want to sacrifice a whole lot just to offroad. My TB is Just shy of 140K miles, so should I really make it more offroad capable?

There are no "OffRoad Trail" that I know of up here in Northern Michigan. A quick google changed that..... Thats where I feel we are all on different terms and perspectives. I have been on OffRoadTB.com readling others build threads getting more ideas. Now on Trailvoy I found THIS faound some suspension/lift kit threads . I have changed the lift kit from Marks to BDS seeing that BDS supplys the logner rear shocks. Now I have to get the shocks for the front. The problems is that my parents don't want me to get different shocks(Bilstein) for the front. So I'm now in a serious dilemma, unless I can find the BDS front shocks.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:
I have no clue why we keep going round and round with this.
There are no "OffRoad Trail" that I know of up here in Northern Michigan.
The problems is that my parents don't want me to get different shocks(Bilstein) for the front. So I'm now in a serious dilemma, unless I can find the BDS front shocks.

OK Technically going round and round is where You say something I tell you what I think then you say the same thing in a different way and so forth. We hadn't done that until you just reposted your issue again.

Anyways.
2 Tracking
Even with 2 Tracking you can get into danger. If the tracks get deep due to rutting you could get hung up on your pumpkin or frame. Then what do you do. Do you know. If not then you need to learn. In 2 Tracking the track can wash out due to rain at a perpendicular or odd angle. Do you know how to position the vehicle to cross. If not then you need to learn. With both of those things if you did the wrong thing you could roll the truck. It is not just about going down the trail on a lifted rig. Even a lifted rig can get hung up. You understand that the pumpkin does not change heights with the lifts you are looking at.

So no we are not going around and around we are giving you sane advise to read up. I go two tracking all the time to get to bird hunting spots. Many with deep mud, water, and trees in the way. I have a stock XL and have been in sticky situations a few times but always have had the tools to get out. I always have extra food and dog food with with lots of water. Even if you have Onstar or a Cell it could be many hours before someone gets to you.

NO Northern Michican Offroad
Now I think you are just teasing us and claiming you don't know how to google. Google "Northern Michigan Offroad". The first link is to a group up there. In fact the entire first page has great links and going into and reading for just 1 min I found out there are some nice places to go. That is what I am meaning, what is your idea for offroad? This defines what you need.

Parents and Different Shocks front to rear.
So your parents are obviously not mechanics. First thing to tell them is trust me I am doing a lot of reading. Then show them that you are. Bilsteins are a brand. Just like monroe, KYB, Ranchero, etc. That would be like saying I have a Sony TV so I must get a Sony Bluray. Or better for the ladies I have a gucci handbag so I have to get Gucci wallet. Because god knows that they have to get the best of each brand. Well that is what you are doing when you are getting different name brands for front and rears getting the best for each brand.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
I have no clue how to respond to you Mr.roadie. I have no clue why we keep going round and round with this.
I keep pushing on you to define your mission. I see I should have been pushing on you see if you were even going to be allowed to start the project. View attachment 18036
...The problems is that my parents don't want me to get different shocks(Bilstein) for the front. So I'm now in a serious dilemma, unless I can find the BDS front shocks.
There are no BDS shocks for the front. If your parents get a vote, then you're not yet serious about lifting it or offroading. I understand your age or budget or relationship with your parents may not be entirely your fault, but it's going to result in serious compromises being made. Some compromises, even if your parents are forcing them on you with the best of intentions, can result in REDUCED safety.

I think this is all fantasy-land for now, because you could be looking at a $500-2000 project here where you really should be finding a club, going out as a helper and shotgun rider, and even see if you can find friends to go out there with. Without some experience doing it in a group NONE OF HERE are going to recommend going out alone. You could die. You're not ready. Perhaps your parents are sheltering you for good reasons. Perhaps for marginal ones. I used to get complaints all the time when I was a 13 year old kid modifying a dirt bike when I used a hammer-driven impact Philips screwdriver on the crankcase halves. It was the only tool that could do the job, but my mother irrationally thought I was hammering the bejeezus out of the thing for some insane need to hear the clanging. :hissyfit:

Attachments

• facepalm.gif
    facepalm.gif
    270 bytes · Views: 102

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My parents are fine with me lifting. Just not the different Shocks in the front and rear.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
It would probably shock them to find out that the OEM shocks ALREADY ON THE VEHICLE are Bilsteins.

I never knew that!!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:
My parents are fine with me lifting. Just not the different Shocks in the front and rear.

I would say that out of the GMT360 off-road crowd at least 90% of us are running Bilsteins in the front and a different brand in the rear. You need to ask them why they are against the different brand in the rear.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok then, why do you all prefer different shocks in the rear. Dosn't it ride odd with the different shocks?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It rides odd with no shocks...FWIW

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:
Ok then, why do you all prefer different shocks in the rear. Dosn't it ride odd with the different shocks?

They prefer the different shocks because they are the best for their setup. Again this goes back to defining the type of Offroad you want to do and the setup you need.

Does it ride odd. Define odd. Define what you want it to ride like. For example do you want a softer ride or stiffer ride. Do you want a faster response or slower response.

You can find a shock made for our vehicle that meets almost everyones ride quality/comfort definition.

Does it ride odd meaning wallows like an old buick in the back and stiff like a vette up front. Now that would be odd but purposeless and I don't think combining any combination of manufactures front to back would cause this.

At one time there was a list of all the makes and manu for shocks for our vehicle on the OS. It was listed by stiffness and response rateing. If I can find that I will add it here. Found it.
From the OS
markarock said:
...it seems to shake out like this in terms of stiffness, from stiffest to softest:

HD Bilstein aftermarkets for the Avalanche
OEM Avalanche shocks mounted on a Trailvoy
HD Bilsteins for the Trailvoy
TBSS shocks
OEM shocks for the Trailvoy....

Now this is only accounts for one characteristic for shocks. There are more like travel, length, rate of return.

If your parents are really making you stay with all one Brand they maybe consider the Bilstein HD for the Avalanche. It is longer so would not over extend when you do the lift.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
Dosn't it ride odd with the different shocks?
They're not automotive enthusiasts, eh? :confused:

The OEM black-painted Bilsteins were listed on the original sticker if they bought it new. But that's pretty irrelevant because shock performance is not dictated by the Brand alone. Within the Bilstein brand, there can be many kinds of performance levels, for Ma and Pa Kettle going to church, or for Kid Flash tearing it up around the racetrack. You could read for 40 hours and lot learn all there is to learn about shocks and how to choose them.

Something tells me they're not qualified to have a vote if they're not auto enthusiasts, but that's the way it is in a family. :lipsrsealed:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:

Because there are not very many options for the front shocks for us and lifted there is nothing longer. The Bilstein HDs give a firmer ride.

Have you even tried shopping at a parts store to see what shocks they offer for our trucks? Mind you those are for stock trucks. Our trucks came with a soft ride for the soccer moms. Shocks/Struts - 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer | O'Reilly Auto Parts

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
here is what I gather....
It sounds like you don't do any severe offroading yet, only minor offroading.
Your parents will let you level the TB but not "lift" it because grandpa has to ride in it and it will be harder for him to get in.
They will let you get new shocks but they must be the same brand front and rear.

With your limited offroad plan here is what I would advise you to do if you feel like you must lift......
Find someone that knows more about this than you do.
This could be an grownup that you know from your circle of associates or even someone younger.
Even in high school there are guys that know their way around vehicles and spring compressors and other things that can kill you.
They won't be as good as Roadie, Fishsticks, Hardtrailzs,BartonMD,MarkMC or some guys that have been banging on these trucks for years but they will still be a big help to you as you learn.
Find the guy with the biggest jeep in the school parking lot, that might be a good start, ask him if he did it himself, if he owns a spring compressor, if he has ever used a spring compressor. Talk to those kinds of guys. They likely also know where you can wheel and help you out if you get stuck :smile:

keep reading here and on offroadtb.com.
keep asking questions,yeah folks are tough on you but it is for a reason.
Make sure to study the section on vehicle recovery on offroadtb.com

Make sure your TB has tow hooks or get some.
Get some recovery gear (dynamic straps, static straps etc)

Once you have done all of that

get Mark's leveling kit
get Bilsteins front and rear to keep your parents happy, you aren't lifting the rear so no concern there.
Replacing your shocks on a 140k vehicle will make it safer. Many recommend replacing them every 50k.
Get an alignment.

Keep in mind here that folks here want to do several things
most importantly they want to educate you for your safety and the safety of those around you.
they want you to buy the right item first which is cheaper than buying some of what you need and then adding on.

Here is real world what happens.....
you order a level kit from Mark and slap it on ...$120
and some new shocks/struts .....$240
on and an alignment ......$70
you like it, your parents see that you are being responsible etc.
you later buy wheel spacers for bigger tires ....$200
you buy bigger tires .......$800

your front wheel bearings go out .........$200
you break a TRE .........$50 + $100 for the tow.
you later want more lift, dang, you have
to buy some more parts(front top spacer,
rear spacer) ... $85
you have to redo the front again
and get another alignment ... $70
depending on how much you lift you
might have to get new rear shocks ....$100
then you see that you need bigger tires
and spend another .....$900.

then you didn't listen to the guys about needing a radiator skid plate so you have get a new radiator and a tow home!

see how much money you could have saved if you knew your mission and tried to do it right the first time?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
navigator said:
...+ $100 for the tow....
$100 for AAA, per year. And that only works from pavement. Getting from the site of the breakdown TO pavement requires friends with adequate equipment on the trail with you.

And don't be giving away our little secret about WHY we're harsh on offroading noobs. :raspberry: If they're scared off too easily, they would have been trail fodder anyway. There's always a use for trail fodder, at least one per group. In case the bears or the zombies attack. :rotfl:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I can't go to the event as my dad is back to work tomorrow.

Whith what I need from my TB Wheel spacers arn't going to be needed. I don't think you could "Scare" me off. I am feeling the GMT Nation "Tough Love" Navigator nailed it right on the head, But I think I have changed my mind for the leveling aspect. Probally gunna go with the entire BDS 2" Lift and just install the front spacers. Now I do not go to the Highschool I'm Homeschooled so....... The local shop that does work on our TB will not Install the lift. My dad checked another place and they won't.... I have 1 place that will do it but its and hours drive.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you go to the events and meet the guys someone might offer to help do the install and you can learn something and save some money. If the shop can replace the shocks on the truck they should be able to install the lift. If not they and they pull the liability thing then I wouldn't trust them to do anything to my truck. Not that I trust many people anyhow.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Cable810 said:
I can't go to the event as my dad is back to work tomorrow.

Whith what I need from my TB Wheel spacers arn't going to be needed. I don't think you could "Scare" me off. I am feeling the GMT Nation "Tough Love" Navigator nailed it right on the head, But I think I have changed my mind for the leveling aspect. Probally gunna go with the entire BDS 2" Lift and just install the front spacers. Now I do not go to the Highschool I'm Homeschooled so....... The local shop that does work on our TB will not Install the lift. My dad checked another place and they won't.... I have 1 place that will do it but its and hours drive.

If your going to buy the bds kit, why will they not install it? Its no different the replacing a broken upper strut mount.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Dj I would love to go to the meets but I live at least 4-5 hrs from most of the MI members and where they are meeting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online